Who's Number One?

I've watched them too. Their defense is marginally better then last year and their offense isn't as good. They've ran up a ton of points against weak sister defenses. They only play two decent defenses this year and they have yet to play either. We'll find out how good they are if they can blow out Arizona. Having said that, Bama, LSU, Wisconsin, Arizona, Iowa, and TCU all have a defensive lines that can shut down their run attack and with out that, The Ducks suck. Mark my word. If they end up in the NCG against either TCU or Boise...they'll get beat. They rank about 33 in the nation in defense. That's not a championship caliber team. Good enough to dominate the PAC 10? Sure, but not win a national championship.

Darron Thomas' is a much better passer than Masoli was. When Masoli had to pass Oregon got in trouble.

They were saying the same thing about the Ducks last year when OSU ass raped them in a game in which they were favored by 14 pts. The Ducks are not significantly any different then they were last year (neither are the Buckeyes for that matter). There a good team...there not National Champion material though. They don't even make my top 5. You heard it here first. Arizona will beat Oregon. There's a good chance the Beavers will too.

Top 5

Auburn
Oklahoma
Alabama
Wisconsin
Ohio State

They were saying the same thing about the Ducks last year when OSU ass raped them in a game in which they were favored by 14 pts. The Ducks are not significantly any different then they were last year (neither are the Buckeyes for that matter). There a good team...there not National Champion material though. They don't even make my top 5. You heard it here first. Arizona will beat Oregon. There's a good chance the Beavers will too.

Top 5

Auburn
Oklahoma
Alabama
Wisconsin
Ohio State

If I had to pick one of those teams to play against for the BCS Championship, it would certainly NOT be Wisconsin.

After the NC game, I recall seeing a lot of posts here and on other sites complaining that Bama ran up the score unnecessarily. "Unsportsmanlike" was one of the buzz words used.

Why is this not an issue with Auburn? It seems they keep going for broke even when their opponent is broken.

Two sets of rules?

Yeah, would definitely have Boise and TCU above Wisconsin. I would have both of them above Oklahoma to.
You're nuts Wacko but hell....you think the Ducks are #1! LOL Them cheeseheads are an awful lot like Alabama. Like Bama they have one of the best offensive lines in the game. Like Bama, they have the only set of RB's as good as Bama's pair and like Bama they have a very good Defense. You're just plain simple minded if you think TCU and Boise with their patty cake schedule are in the same league as Wisconsin.

Darron Thomas' is a much better passer than Masoli was. When Masoli had to pass Oregon got in trouble.
No he's a marginally better passer and he's not as good a runner and the stats bear that out. The Pac 10 is weak this year and the stats bear that out to. The SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 are the toughest conferences in college football and the Pac 10 simply isn't competative this year. That is why a good but not great Ducks team is able to run up all those points. The Ducks are a good team with a good offense and a mediocre defense. Their simply not a Championship caliber team and time will bear that out.

Here's what I predict will be today's BCS rankings.

#1. Oregon
#2. Auburn
#3. TCU
#4. Boise
#5. LSU
#6. Nebraska
#7. Wisconsin
#8. OSU
#9. Stanford
#10. Mich St

My top 5;

#1. Auburn
#2. Wisc
#3. LSU
#4. OSU
#5. Nebraska

I don't like Oregon any more than the next guy but you really wouldn't put them in your top 5? I'm more than a little shocked by that.

I'm not ready to anoint them a great team because I still think that Ohio State put on a clinic on how to beat them (ball control, disciplined defense and special teams) in the Rose Bowl but I think they beat just about every team in the country in a head to head game on a neutral site. Last year's Alabama would have killed them but I don't think there is another team who's defense is that good.

Has anyone else been watching Nick Fairley play for auburn this year?

Understand, I am a hardcore defensive football fan. But the number of cheap shots, late hits and personal fouls from this one guy is beyond belief. At some point this thug needs to be removed from the game before he seriously hurts someone.

I don't like Oregon any more than the next guy but you really wouldn't put them in your top 5? I'm more than a little shocked by that.

I'm not ready to anoint them a great team because I still think that Ohio State put on a clinic on how to beat them (ball control, disciplined defense and special teams) in the Rose Bowl but I think they beat just about every team in the country in a head to head game on a neutral site. Last year's Alabama would have killed them but I don't think there is another team who's defense is that good.

I have a West Coast bias but I also hate Oregon. I do not know how Oregon can be kept out of the Top 5. Like you said they are not unbeatable but no one has beaten them this year. I'd also argue Stanford deserves to be in the top 5 losing only on the road to number one Oregon. Nebraska took themselves out by losing at home to a team with a losing record. I'm also a fan of Boise St and TCU. I'm well aware of the conference argument but they both have legit defenses. Still a couple of rivarly games left so I wouldn't be surprised to see more top shake-up before it is all said and done.

Oregon can be beaten, that is for sure. Any team with a decent defense can virtually shut them down. Auburn (and this is hard for me to say) can score on a good defense. If it comes down to these two for the NC, Auburn wins.

Oregon can be beaten, that is for sure. Any team with a decent defense can virtually shut them down. Auburn (and this is hard for me to say) can score on a good defense. If it comes down to these two for the NC, Auburn wins.

Do you think Auburn has a top defense?

Do you think Auburn has a top defense?

Absolutely not. But Auburn has enough defense to stop Oregon. I think they have as much defense as Cal, which all but shut down Oregon. Whereas Auburn scored against LSU's D, which is very good.

Back