Why high school kids are financially illiterate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)#On_education_and_public_services

Effect on public schools[edit source]

California public schools, which during the 1960s had been ranked nationally as among the best, have decreased to 48th in many surveys of student achievement.[37] Some [38][39] have disputed the attribution of the decline to Proposition 13's role in the change to state financing of public schools, because schools financed mostly by property taxes were declared unconstitutional (the variances in funding between lower and higher income areas being deemed to violate the equal protection clause) in Serrano vs. Priest, and Proposition 13 was then passed partially as a result of that case.[36] California's spending per pupil was the same as the national average until about 1985, when it began decreasing, which resulted in another referendum, Proposition 98, that requires a certain percentage of the state's budget to be directed towards education.[4]

Loss of funding for libraries, city services[edit source]

Public libraries have seen a decrease of funding from cities.[36] Police departments received generally the same amount of funding, from 15% in 1978 to 16% during 1995.[36] Cities also decreased water, gas and electricity expenses.[36]

I think we have a fair number of posters on the board who are parents. I'm curious how many of you spent much time with your children on financial literacy? I'm not asking this in a way that if you say you didn't it would imply you are/were bad parents even though the question definitely comes across as such. I don't mean to ask it in that way.

I thought my parents were great overall. From a financial perspective they helped me set up a checking account in high school but didn't really talk about finances with me other than that.

We don't do a whole lot. My boy is 10 though. Right now, he gets no allowance. If he needs something we the parents provide it. If he "wants" something, he knows he has to work for it. He is big enough to mow yards, stack brush, pick up rocks, etc. for folks. Also, he can do extra work around the house that aren't his assigned chores to make a little extra cash. Like he wanted a game for his Atari or whatever video game he has. It cost around $50. He worked at different making $3 here, $10 there until he earned enough to buy it.

He does have a cow and she has a calf for him every year. He has had her for 6 years and has sold 6 calves, averaging around $900 each for the past 6 years. He has this plus gifts in a savings account and he looks over the statement every month. Also, when we bought a swimming pool a couple of years ago, we asked him if we could borrow the money from his savings account at whatever the going interest rate was (better he get that than the bank) and let him look at how that made him some money. Hopefully he is paying attention to the retirement talk going on in the house as my cousin just retired and I am looking to in about 3 years. We've been talking a lot about how we are getting ready for retirement and how it all started, not to him but around him.

Did they teach financial literacy in California schools prior to Prop 13? Did they stop teaching it after Prop 13 passed?

Prove I said that you lying sack of shit

this is what you do.

LIE about what people said because you cant face the real truth

Ok. So even though education tends to be dominated by liberals it's this vast plan by the 'right-wing' to not teach financial literacy?

I would like to see proof it is dominated by liberals, thanks.

I don't think that is the case in Texas or Kansas and I know in this red state that conservatives are much more prevelant, but these are the states I am most familiar with their systems. I can see California being dominated by liberals, but Mississippi and Missouri, I don't think so.

Desh how did Arnold kill financial literacy in California? I went to high school in Oakland from '87 - '91 and they didn't teach financial literacy. That was well before Arnold's time.

Desh, your response to this question of mine was 'Prop 13'.

When I say they didn't teach financial literacy while I was in school and you reply Prop 13 that really seems to imply they taught it before Prop 13.

I would like to see proof it is dominated by liberals, thanks.

I don't think that is the case in Texas or Kansas and I know in this red state that conservatives are much more prevelant, but these are the states I am most familiar with their systems. I can see California being dominated by liberals, but Mississippi and Missouri, I don't think so.

Rana, what you are saying is true to a point. I think the perception that "education is dominated by liberals" comes from the fact that the agenda of the NEA is a liberal agenda. There are a large contingent of teachers who are not memeber of NEA for that reason. We are oftentimes members of alternative educational organizations at the state level (like I am a member of Professional Oklahoma Educators) and so yes, in "red states" you will have a larger group of educators who are are not politically liberal. Also, you will find a rural/urban divide within these "red states" as well (at least within ours), with more urban educators being more liberal and more rural educators being more conservative. But the perception comes mainly from the NEA and related groups and the agenda they create.

This is getting away from the financial literacy aspect but I was talking with my partner at work who has a son in 10th grade. He said his boy gets out of school at 3, does cross country until 5, does homework from 5 to 8, dinner with the family for an hour, and then homework from 9 to 11. This is his daily routine. He said his son doesn't have time to listen to music, watch TV, talk to his friends etc. He thinks it's way too much.

My (work) partner said he's taking an AP History class and the teacher said there will be two hours of homework each night. I think he said his son had five classes total. Can you imagine if each class said that?

So part of me likes that this kid is having to work hard but part of me is thinking there is more to life and more to being a teenager than spending five hours a night doing homework every day including weekends. What do you others think?

This is getting away from the financial literacy aspect but I was talking with my partner at work who has a son in 10th grade. He said his boy gets out of school at 3, does cross country until 5, does homework from 5 to 8, dinner with the family for an hour, and then homework from 9 to 11. This is his daily routine. He said his son doesn't have time to listen to music, watch TV, talk to his friends etc. He thinks it's way too much.

My (work) partner said he's taking an AP History class and the teacher said there will be two hours of homework each night. I think he said his son had five classes total. Can you imagine if each class said that?

So part of me likes that this kid is having to work hard but part of me is thinking there is more to life and more to being a teenager than spending five hours a night doing homework every day including weekends. What do you others think?

This is just what a kid needs if he wishes to get into a good college. AP classes are suppose to be college level courses. It sounds like this is the life the kid wants, or he wouldn't be working so hard!

Back