Why is the stars and bars flag considered a racist symbol?

Probably, and then we'd have ppl defending *that* symbol, eh?

I am sure of it. But the point is if people don't react then there would be no need to defend anything and the supremacist would drop it and look for something else. It's like when people call me names I just ignore them and don't give them the satisfaction. If more people did that there would be less conflict in this country.

It was adopted by the KKK as well as other white supremacist groups. There were a few KKK groups active in and around the St. Louis area when we lived there. Occasionally they would hand out recruitment flyers (mostly in rural that were predominantly white, of course -- wouldn't dare try that in a more diverse area! lol). Ppl who received them would sometimes contact the news stations about it, and they would show them on the air. They almost always had the stars and bars along with a cross and other symbols.

Which proves my point! Ignore the symbol and it become ineffective.

This subject like mass shooting have one thing in common. The more publicity given to an event or symbol the more people will copycat it. AND NO I AM NOT EQUAITING WAVING THE CONFEDERATE FLAG WITH MASS SHOOTINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure of it. But the point is if people don't react then there would be no need to defend anything and the supremacist would drop it and look for something else. It's like when people call me names I just ignore them and don't give them the satisfaction. If more people did that there would be less conflict in this country.

I disagree. To ignore this kind of stuff is what keeps it alive. I'm sure many ppl in the 1930s thought the same about the swastika, the rallies, the book burnings.

I agree and like I said before why did they pick that symbol? It's clear that using the battle flag the most recognized flag of the confederacy that would cause fear and anger in black people. I maintain that if people had ignored that symbol the supremacist would have dropped it and tried something else.

Why would that matter? Just like the Civil War they lost.

I disagree. To ignore this kind of stuff is what keeps it alive. I'm sure many ppl in the 1930s thought the same about the swastika, the rallies, the book burnings.

Two completely different circumstances. first the Nazi rise to power.
Key Facts

1. The Nazi Party’s meteoric rise to power began in 1930, when it attained 107 seats in Germany’s parliament, the Reichstag. In July 1932, the Nazi Party became the largest political party in the Reichstag with 230 representatives

2. In the final years of the Weimar Republic (1930 to 1933), the government ruled by emergency decree because it could not attain a parliamentary majority. Political and economic instability, coupled with voter dissatisfaction with the status quo, benefitted the Nazi Party.

3. As a result of the Nazis’ mass support, German president Paul von Hindenburg appointed Hitler chancellor on January 30, 1933. His appointment paved the way to the Nazi dictatorship after Hindenburg’s death in August 1934.
https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/the-nazi-rise-to-power

As you can see one is political the other racial.

Did demonstrating about what is considered racist items do anything to help the civil rights movement? No it didn't what Dr. King preached and demonstrated about weren't things but real social inequities. That is what brought about civil rights.

This demonstrating about flags or statues does nothing but make people feel good even the removal of these things accomplishes nothing of substance. So if you wish to continue please do it is a feel good effort nothing more.

Duh!The Confederate States was founded to keep it's black citizens in bondage!Racism 101

It was adopted by the KKK as well as other white supremacist groups. There were a few KKK groups active in and around the St. Louis area when we lived there. Occasionally they would hand out recruitment flyers (mostly in rural that were predominantly white, of course -- wouldn't dare try that in a more diverse area! lol). Ppl who received them would sometimes contact the news stations about it, and they would show them on the air. They almost always had the stars and bars along with a cross and other symbols.

It was racist long before that!

I understand to some people any reminder of the south and the civil war is racist. While the reasons for the war may have been racist not all symbols had racial undertones. The confederate battle flag is one.

The Stars and bars flag had one purpose "Confederate battle flag distinct from the flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars," was created following the first major battle of the Civil War, at Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia, in July 1861, because in the heat of battle soldiers and commanders confused the Stars and Bars with the Union army's "Stars and Stripes."

https://teachinghistory.org/history-content/ask-a-historian/19424
Context is everything .

I would totally wear confederate flag boxer briefs or blow my nose on confederate flag hankerchiefs, and not feel like I was being remotely racist .

A gathering of buck toothed rednecks waving one at a trump rally while chanting "send her back!" obviously has racist overtones.

A state government flying one on public property is transmiting an insulting message to many of its black citizens by paying homage to a rebel army fighting to defend a Slave economy. Most seem to forget that flag is the confederate battle standard .

I understand to some people any reminder of the south and the civil war is racist. While the reasons for the war may have been racist not all symbols had racial undertones. The confederate battle flag is one.

The Stars and bars flag had one purpose "Confederate battle flag distinct from the flag of the Confederacy, the "Stars and Bars," was created following the first major battle of the Civil War, at Bull Run near Manassas, Virginia, in July 1861, because in the heat of battle soldiers and commanders confused the Stars and Bars with the Union army's "Stars and Stripes."

It is considered a racist symbol because the American Nazi Party uses the flag to symbolize their racism. There is no reason to go into it any further than that.

The (((media))) made it a racist symbol because it's associated with a white culture. Simple as that.

Back