Why we're doomed!

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
If as a nation we were serious about fuel conservation or curtailing air pollution, NASCAR wouldn't exist.

If as a nation we were serious about clean water and water conservation, we wouldn't have "water theme" amusement parks running during the summer months.

If as a nation we were serious about energy conservation, then solar panels would have been strategically placed and used in our urban/suburban areas during the summer months LONG ago.

But let's face it folks, the majority of Americans are not serious about this stuff.....until it screws with their personal space. :(

lmao...most moronic thread ever....

let's just take the first example...nascar

yes, if we we banned nascar all our oil needs would vanish overnight...strawman, sure, but take your point to its logical conclusion and one can only see you believe banning nascar would actually help our country environmentally and our dependence on oil....laughable, truly laughable...nascar doesn't even represent .00000000001% of our nations' fuel consumption

thanks for the laugh touchyliberal

If as a nation we were serious about fuel conservation or curtailing air pollution, NASCAR wouldn't exist.

If as a nation we were serious about clean water and water conservation, we wouldn't have "water theme" amusement parks running during the summer months.

If as a nation we were serious about energy conservation, then solar panels would have been strategically placed and used in our urban/suburban areas during the summer months LONG ago.

But let's face it folks, the majority of Americans are not serious about this stuff.....until it screws with their personal space. :(

Those are ridiculous ideas put out by people trying to condemn others while not actually offering anything that would screw with THEIR personal space.

From what I have found, they burn about 6,000 gallons of gas at a typical NASCAR race. They race 36 times a year, for a total track consumption of 216,000 gals.

A gov't study found that under-inflated tires may have wasted 1.2 billion gals of gasoline in 2005 alone. NASCAR's annual consumption on the track amounts to 0.018% of what is wasted because people are too lazy to check their tires pressure. Of course, that would make more people responsible and would mean you couldn't single out "NASCAR rednecks" as the culprits.

If everyone installed low water consumption toilets, it would save between 1.4 and 3.4 gals per flush. (even putting a plastic bottle with sand in it in the tank) Considering the numer of toilets in private homes, this would dwarf the water park's water consumption to the point it would not register on our list. Besides, water parks typically recyle water. Water lawns consumes many times more water annually, and that is mostly a vanity feature. But, again, you couldn't point the fingers at "others".

Lets face it. You didn't want to actually point at major consumers. You wanted to post something that made you feel better about you.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it ain't the answer.

Last edited:
Those are ridiculous ideas put out by people trying to condemn others while not actually offering anything that would screw with THEIR personal space.

From what I have found, they burn about 6,000 gallons of gas at a typical NASCAR race. They race 36 times a year, for a total track consumption of 216,000 gals.

A gov't study found that under-inflated tires may have wasted 1.2 billion gals of gasoline in 2005 alone. NASCAR's annual consumption on the track amounts to 0.018% of what is wasted because people are too lazy to check their tires pressure. Of course, that would make more people responsible and would mean you couldn't single out "NASCAR rednecks" as the culprits.

If everyone installed low water consumption toilets, it would save between 1.4 and 3.4 gals per flush. (even putting a plastic bottle with sand in it in the tank) Considering the numer of toilets in private homes, this would dwarf the water park's water consumption to the point it would not register on our list. Besides, water parks typically recyle water. Water lawns consumes many times more water annually, and that is mostly a vanity feature. But, again, you couldn't point the fingers at "others".

Lets face it. You didn't want to actually point at major consumers. You wanted to post something that made you feel better about you.

I'll downvote one of your posts one of these days, WB, if it's the last thing I do.

I'll downvote one of your posts one of these days, WB, if it's the last thing I do.

Hell, downvote'em all. It doesn't matter to me. It also doesn't change the fact that I am right in what I posted here.

Why do the liberals fight to ban windmills?

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal

But let's face it folks, the majority of Americans are not serious about this stuff.....until it screws with their personal space.

Really? So when people try to rally and promote the proper usage of solar panels and wind turbines or but are voted down, how does that fit into your scenario? And all the people who for DECADES tried to get better emission controls or put more money into research into hybrid or electric cars were shot down by corporate PAC's....how do they fit into your scenario?

Do a little more research....as to the amount of trial races prior to the major events, the qualifying races, the various "little races" throughout the country and the year to get up to the main event. Find out how many gallons are burned, what's the emission rates, how much land is razed to become tracks, accomodate fans, etc. There's more to "Nascar" than just the one event.

I noticed that you didn't have any ready numbers on all the "water theme" parks. Let me know what you find. All your points are valid here...but that does NOT excuse excessive waste of water in an era when increasing weather extremes and an increasing population will have an effect on the demand for clean water.

And while you're patting yourself on the back for your little summation, you might want to pay attention to the little corrections I've given you here.

My POINT was that as a society we seem hell bent on maintaining certain levels of entertainment REGARDLESS of what's going on around us.

Why do the liberals fight to ban windmills?

Once again, you exaggerate a specific case and then try to foist it as a generalization on all "liberals".

Do the proper homework and you'll see that the case involving the Kennedy's had to do with a HISTORIC defense of NATIVE American land from industrial development....not the NIMBY reaction by rich liberals that the neocon press (NewsMax, WND, FoxNews, etc.) and punditry would have you believe.

Once again, you exaggerate a specific case and then try to foist it as a generalization on all "liberals".

Do the proper homework and you'll see that the case involving the Kennedy's had to do with a HISTORIC defense of NATIVE American land from industrial development....not the NIMBY reaction by rich liberals that the neocon press (NewsMax, WND, FoxNews, etc.) and punditry would have you believe.

Yeah, cuz generalizations are bad.

And while you're patting yourself on the back for your little summation, you might want to pay attention to the little corrections I've given you here.

My POINT was that as a society we seem hell bent on maintaining certain levels of entertainment REGARDLESS of what's going on around us.

Your info about solar panels and wind turbines is great. It has absolutely nothingto do with my reply to the OP.

Yes, you are correct, there is more gas burned than just the weekly race. But that really doesn't change why you specifically pointed out NASCAR. If you mulpily what they burn on the main race by 10, you are still just a drop in the bucket of what under-inflated tires cost us. Rather than defend your ridiculous, elitist attack on rednecks, why not admit that is was bogus to begin with.

No, I don't have specific numbers for water parks. Do you actually think it would compare with the savings from using less water to flush? Really?

If every household (105,480,101) cut the volume of water in each flush by a third (Dixie), the savings per household would be 1,195,996,673,198 gals per year. The closest thing to numbers of water parks I can find is "over 1,000". So lets call it 2,000 to make it as fair as possible for you. To compare the savings of the changing of volume of flush toilets (in homes only) would mean each water park would have to waste almost 600 million gals per year. Many waterparks use "reclaimed" water and recyle the water they have. So this entire line is bogus as well.

I am not making any claims that we are doing nearly enough. My claim was that your attacks on NASCAR and waterparks is not really about conservation. But is more about making yourself feel superior. Neither of those two is even close to the top of their respective categories.

And who the hell are you to try and determine who gets to enjoy what form of entertainment? There are an estimated 75 million NASCAR fans. If half of those are serious fans, youhave a significant portion of the population being entertained by racing. If half of those 75 million watch the race at home on sunday, then you should consider the amount of gas not burned by 37.5 million fans staying home.

I didn't pat myself on the back for anything. All I did was correct another "You people are ruining the world" whiner who wants to point fingers at others instead of trying to actually make changes.

I wasn't referring to that case specifically, but in general. (Interesting spin BTW, but a tangential point, and I know how you insist on sticking to the OP subject so I won't go there.) Nor was I referring to "all liberals". Liberal groups fought windmills in Boone, NC as well. They seem to fight them everywhere except Kansas and Texas, both red states. Why do you suppose that is?

you are quite comical... you point to NASCAR as an abuser, but like WB stated, you ignore the major violators.... all because it suits your little rant.

1) You want to drastically reduce oil consumption... get the idiots in Congress to force the use of Nat Gas vehicles. 70% of our oil consumption is due to transportation. Rather than banning a tiny little group for a miniscule amount of consumption relative to the whole... suggest REAL alternatives and REAL solutions.

2) Solar... you rant about the 'proper use of solar': here is a hint. Until it is economically viable... it is NOT a solution. It is becoming more economically viable now that oil has maintained closer to fair value around the $75-80 brl. It is something we should focus on expanding, but it most certainly has NOT been something we could have been doing for years and years.

3) Water: see WB's comments. In addition, I would add that we should stop all the moronic attempts to use crops as biofuel. You want to save water: stop that waste and get the focus onto algae based biofuels. That method consumes 1% of the water that crop based biofuels do. It also leaves NO waste as the biproduct of the process produces a high carb food source that can be used for livestock (which further reduces the grain consumption). Add in the fact that the algae systems can be put on ANY type of land and this is a no brainer. But wait, there's more.... the algae also acts as a scrub and can be used to help draw pollutants out of the air.

Your info about solar panels and wind turbines is great. It has absolutely nothingto do with my reply to the OP.

Yes, you are correct, there is more gas burned than just the weekly race. But that really doesn't change why you specifically pointed out NASCAR. If you mulpily what they burn on the main race by 10, you are still just a drop in the bucket of what under-inflated tires cost us. Rather than defend your ridiculous, elitist attack on rednecks, why not admit that is was bogus to begin with.

No, I don't have specific numbers for water parks. Do you actually think it would compare with the savings from using less water to flush? Really?

If every household (105,480,101) cut the volume of water in each flush by a third (Dixie), the savings per household would be 1,195,996,673,198 gals per year. The closest thing to numbers of water parks I can find is "over 1,000". So lets call it 2,000 to make it as fair as possible for you. To compare the savings of the changing of volume of flush toilets (in homes only) would mean each water park would have to waste almost 600 million gals per year. Many waterparks use "reclaimed" water and recyle the water they have. So this entire line is bogus as well.

I am not making any claims that we are doing nearly enough. My claim was that your attacks on NASCAR and waterparks is not really about conservation. But is more about making yourself feel superior. Neither of those two is even close to the top of their respective categories.

And who the hell are you to try and determine who gets to enjoy what form of entertainment? There are an estimated 75 million NASCAR fans. If half of those are serious fans, youhave a significant portion of the population being entertained by racing. If half of those 75 million watch the race at home on sunday, then you should consider the amount of gas not burned by 37.5 million fans staying home.

I didn't pat myself on the back for anything. All I did was correct another "You people are ruining the world" whiner who wants to point fingers at others instead of trying to actually make changes.

FYI.... do note.... Taichi also did not provide any ready data on water parks. Funny how that works.

Bottom line.... if we were really worried about obesity, we would not have movies, tv or video games.

So fire everyone in hollywood. Take away their jet setting, their 1347 awards shows around the world they travel to in order to pat themselves on the back, their mansions, their yachts, their 23 vacations homes etc... Not only would this help the obesity problem in this country, but it would also save tons of energy from the lack of all those jets flying around to back patting awards ceremonies and premieres of ever increasingly shitty movies.

Also fire everyone who makes video games as they are quite simply not taking the obesity situation seriously. To the contrary they encourage kids and adults alike to sit on their fat asses learning how best to steal cars and blow each other up. Obviously murder and car theft numbers would diminish greatly while at the same time encouraging tubby to get off his fat ass and go outside and potentially get in shape. How dare people choose to entertain themselves in this manner.

Back