WTF, Americans have never heard of suasage rolls!

There are plenty of immigrants from the area that can make a lutefisk. All of it is gelatinous grossness that will never touch my mouth again. You can serve grossness on china but it doesn't make it taste any better.

Does serving dog vomit on the finest porcelain improve the taste?

if you guys don't know how to make pig in the blanket why don't you just admit it?......

Lazy sod, read the effing article!!

'Like pigs in a blanket, but so much better,' The New York Times wrote on Twitter.

The baffled comments soon followed.

'Don't know what these are exactly, but I would like that plate, please...,' one Twitter user wrote.

'What's a sausage roll. is it a rolled sausage [sic],' another queried.

'I would eat sausage rolls every day of the week if I could. When I visit Australia, I do, to make up for not having them in the US,' one said, aware of the dish.

'Is it a rolled sausage?' Americans are introduced to sausage rolls and immediately lose their minds

• The New York Times recently ran a recipe for the humble sausage roll
  • They claimed it was a traditional British dish served on Boxing Day
  • Americans were confused by the recipe, unsure of what it was
  • Australians and British fans of the dish were shocked at the confusion
  • Many debated how it should be served and on what occasion
The sausage roll is a part of many Australian childhoods and remains a snack of choice for thousands across the country. The delicious meaty dish, often accompanied by mini meat pies, is a common sight at parties, child birthdays and catered events - and almost always served with a side of tomato sauce. But when American's recently found themselves introduced to the pastry wrapped treat, they were somewhat confused by the concept.

2E41FD2D00000578-3309693-image-m-8_1447030859818.jpg

America, meet the sausage roll: The New York Times recently ran a recipe for the sausage roll

2E41FD3400000578-3309693-image-m-28_1447031328553.jpg

Sympathy: 'I feel sorry for Americans: living this whole time not knowing the deliciousness of a sausage roll,' one woman wrote on Twitter

2E41F67B00000578-3309693-image-m-10_1447030888494.jpg

Sparking debate: American, British and Australian Twitter users took to social media to debate the dish and share their shock at those who didn't know it existed

HOT POCKETS

Hot_Pockets.0.0.jpg

Oh I tried that nasty assed shit up in Minnesota once and I mean "ONCE". Next to Grind's mom it was the singularly foulest thing I've ever tasted. If a combination of the flavor of lye and ammonia infused snot are you're idea of tasty you're one sick fuck!

Oh I tried that nasty assed shit up in Minnesota once and I mean "ONCE". Next to Grind's mom it was the singularly foulest thing I've ever tasted. If a combination of the flavor of lye and ammonia infused snot are you're idea of tasty you're one sick fuck!

Rune is one sick fuck, that he likes snotty cod that smells like a baby's nappy/diaper is hardly news. Mind you, anyone that likes duck embryos with the feathers on is not in a position to criticise.

There are plenty of immigrants from the area that can make a lutefisk. All of it is gelatinous grossness that will never touch my mouth again. You can serve grossness on china but it doesn't make it taste any better.
If I had the choice between lutefisk and that stinky French cheese with the worms in it I'd hands down would take the stinky French cheese. I can't see how people can eat lutefisk. I understand cultural bias and acquired taste but it would take one hell of a lot of acquiring and starvation circumstances to ever get me to try that shit again.

Rune is one sick fuck, that he likes snotty cod that smells like a baby's nappy/diaper is hardly news. Mind you, anyone that likes duck embryos with the feathers on is not in a position to criticise.
Oh now I would agree that balut looks far, far, far more repulsive than lutefisk but it taste like a hard boiled egg with little chewy bits. It's not that bad actually. Balut doesn't taste nearly as repulsive as it looks and it's not even in the same ball park of disgusting as lutefisk.

Meh....I think Damo's got a point. Only some fu-fu out of touch New York food critic hasn't ever had pigs in a blanket and don't go all getting hung up on a name Tom. The same NYC guy who wrote the article would probably rave over a fried Johnny Cake with maple syrup cause he's never had old time peasant food before.

I've eaten a zillion variety of pigs in a blanket. From the mundane hot dogs in canned bisquit dough, to croissant or filo wrapped in some high end sausage or an empanada with chorizo and cheese (which is essentially a latin version of pigs in a blanket) or my wife will wrap a mix of fried longaniza and diced shrimp with a spring roll wrapper and deep fry it to make lumpias. All, done right....are pretty tasty. :)

Meh....I think Damo's got a point. Only some fu-fu out of touch New York food critic hasn't ever had pigs in a blanket and don't go all getting hung up on a name Tom. The same NYC guy who wrote the article would probably rave over a fried Johnny Cake with maple syrup cause he's never had old time peasant food before.

I've eaten a zillion variety of pigs in a blanket. From the mundane hot dogs in canned bisquit dough, to croissant or filo wrapped in some high end sausage or an empanada with chorizo and cheese (which is essentially a latin version of pigs in a blanket) or my wife will wrap a mix of fried longaniza and diced shrimp with a spring roll wrapper and deep fry it to make lumpias. All, done right....are pretty tasty. :)

If you tried a decent sausage roll you'd know that it is nothing like a pig in any kind of bedware, be it blankets or a duvet!! I'll send you some and you can eat your words!

If you tried a decent sausage roll you'd know that it is nothing like a pig in any kind of bedware, be it blankets or a duvet!! I'll send you some and you can eat your words!
Oh Tom...sausage roll/pigs in a blanket, it's just a name for the same thing. Seasoned pork parts wrapped in some kind of dough. I'm sure any good quality pastry dough wrapped around any good quality sausage and baked or fried and seasoned just right is going to be pretty darned tasty!

Just as canned biscuit dough and hot dogs are pretty plain tasting.

Actually it would be a good idea for a kitchen throw down. See who could make the best pigs in a blanket/sausage roll. My wife's lumpias would be pretty competitive. :)

Oh Tom...sausage roll/pigs in a blanket, it's just a name for the same thing. Seasoned pork parts wrapped in some kind of dough. I'm sure any good quality pastry dough wrapped around any good quality sausage and baked or fried and seasoned just right is going to be pretty darned tasty!

Just as canned biscuit dough and hot dogs are pretty plain tasting.

Actually it would be a good idea for a kitchen throw down. See who could make the best pigs in a blanket/sausage roll. My wife's lumpias would be pretty competitive. :)

Have you never heard of flaky pastry over there? Anyway if you are so incensed then get onto the NYT and tell them.

My wife makes empanadas with pumpkin, for Christmas.
droooooooooooooooooooooooool

Back