You drink POP, you bake with SODA

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
Before heading off to fight in the Civil War in 1862, a Michigan pharmacist named James Vernor combined 19 ingredients to make a new elixir and hid the stuff in an oak cask in his store. When he got back from fighting the no-good Rebs four years later, Vernor opened the barrel, poured himself a mug of the aged concoction and viola! Vernors, the nation's first pop, was born.
For 45 years, 233 Woodward Avenue in Detroit, Michigan was the only place on Earth where you could get Vernor's magical pop, which is what we call it here. So whenever anyone engages you in that insipid "pop vs. soda" argument, point to the fact that "pop" originated in Michigan and send the dissenting party crying to his or her mama.
Vernors, which is kind of like a cross between ginger ale and cream soda, may be difficult to find at the local 7-11, but it's still around today. (And still aged four years in those oak casks.) On the 100th anniversary of the beverage's creation, in 1966, Vernor's great-grandson sold the brand, which has changed hand a number of times in the ensuing decades, eventually becoming part of Cadbury Schweppes' Dr. Pepper/Seven Up subsidiary.
I win.

I honestly just can't imagine using the word "pop" without irony. I grew up with people saying "coke" around me, and a lot of people saying "soda" on TV. Pop just sounds foreign.

It's coke, you faggots.

WM is right, even with the added hostility.

You drink coke. If someone is going to the store you ask them to bring you back a coke. And they will ask, "What kind?", and you tell them whether you want a Sprite, Mtn Dew, ect.

Its all coke. And you pop someone who talks about drinking soda.

You drink coke. If someone is going to the store you ask them to bring you back a coke. And they will ask, "What kind?", and you tell them whether you want a Sprite, Mtn Dew, ect.

Its all coke. And you pop someone who talks about drinking soda.

Seriously, there might have been a time when I can remember people saying "coke," but its been a while. Besides, I will never, ever forgive Coke for taking Surge off the market.

I honestly just can't imagine using the word "pop" without irony. I grew up with people saying "coke" around me, and a lot of people saying "soda" on TV. Pop just sounds foreign.
To anybody with a brain this conversation sounds like only a southerner would partake in it.

You: I'd like a Coke.
Waitress: What kind?
You: Coke.

Here they say coke, which is stupid. No one drinks a Dr. Pepper coke or ginger ale coke or root beer coke or diet Pepsi coke. Back up North the old folks like my pop called it tonic, and we kids called it soda. Unless you poured it over ice cream then it was a float.

I will say that in Seattle, we don't always say pop, we do say soda as well. I think it depends on how you say it. Like "I'm gonna go grab a pop," "would you like a soda?" But generally speaking, if you were to ask which is the proper way, people would say pop.

A couple of guys actually conducted this poll when I was in Basic Training. All three us Seattleites agreed that it was pop, and when we voted, we bumped the tally for pop back up over soda, so one of the guys whooped and the other was like "dammit!!" :)

only in strange backwoods locations.....like the American South......

only in strange backwoods locations.....like the American South......

Hey, I didn't invent the sayings, I just grew up where they happened.

And yes, the American South can be a strange place at times. I'll take our hospitable strangeness over the cold-shouldered normalty of the northeast any day.

Back