1 In Every 99 Adult Americans Now Behind Bars

Yes, it does need to be enforced. Wow, look how far that got us. Guess you should start looking into Rogerian argument.

Why should it be enforced? If we can get the same result by not enforcing it, and we have the power to enforce it but not to erase the statute, we should not enforce it. Use common sense.

So one percent.
You'd have a point if you were right but you're not.

1 in 100 adults are behind bars not 1 in 100 of the population. How many have done time and are now walking the streets? How many millions are we talking about now?

This is the highest incarceration rate in the history of civilization. We have so many ex cons that if they voted as a block they would run the country.
If they revolted America would fall.

When you send that non violent doper you despise to the University of Crime and Mayhem he returns as the evil monster you fear.

At this rate everyone will be a jailbird in fifty years. The only question that remains...Who will be left to lock up the jailers?

1 in 100 adults are behind bars not 1 in 100 of the population. How many have done time and are now walking the streets? How many millions are we talking about now?

This is the highest incarceration rate in the history of civilization. We have so many ex cons that if they voted as a block they would run the country.

When you send that non violent doper you despise to the University of Crime and Mayhem he returns as the evil monster you fear.

At this rate everyone will be a jailbird in fifty years. The only question that remains...Who will be left to lock up the jailers?

Incarceration rates have thankfully leveled off in the 2000's. Most of the current anti-crime sentiment seems to be towards heinous violent crimes, that aren't that common, rather than drugs and other things that were concentrated on in the 80's.

I know that 25% of black males in Mississippi are felons that cannot vote. There's a big problem with getting back into society for a felon, and modern society just makes it harder and harder to re-integrate. Sending them to prison, most of the time, just made them learn more about crime.

One percent of adults. Which would be even less than one percent of the population---so, if anything, my point is greater.

One percent of adults. Which would be even less than one percent of the population---so, if anything, my point is greater.

One percent of Americans not owning a TV set would not be a big deal.

One percent of Americans without freedom would be. One percent in this case is a huge number. You're pseudo apathy is makes you neither cool nor appropriate nor logical.

One percent of Americans not owning a TV set would not be a big deal.

One percent of Americans without freedom would be. One percent in this case is a huge number. You're pseudo apathy is makes you neither cool nor appropriate nor logical.

Is that you using one of my lines back at me?

By the way, I didn't say I don't care-- but what do you want me to do, organise a prison break?

These people are in prison for being found guilty of a crime, not for the hell of it. I have already said that the laws need to be changed, but until they are this is just a sad reality.

Gonzo, of course I'm talking about changing the laws. Our current laws relies on prison as a the answer too much. Not that it's bad that people are being punished harsher for serious violent crimes. But people are being punished very harshly for many trivial things, or things without victims. Sometimes it may be good for society to discourage those things, but prisons not the answer.

Already, in this war on drugs, we've taken enforcement and punishment far harsher than anyone at the beginning of the prohibition ever dreamed or thought necessary, and people are still saying it's weak. Where does it stop? It's just a slippery slope. Anytime a politician is caught in a rut, he promises harsher sentencing for some random non-violent crime, knowing it won't do anything, but playing on the ignorance of society.

With more than half of the states stripping felons from being able to vote for the entirety of their lifetime, those people aren't even allowed to complain or change the law. It's a win win situation for the politicians, a lose lose situation for America.

Incarceration rates have thankfully leveled off in the 2000's. Most of the current anti-crime sentiment seems to be towards heinous violent crimes, that aren't that common, rather than drugs and other things that were concentrated on in the 80's.

I know that 25% of black males in Mississippi are felons that cannot vote. There's a big problem with getting back into society for a felon, and modern society just makes it harder and harder to re-integrate. Sending them to prison, most of the time, just made them learn more about crime.

25%?!
This is total insanity...

Lol...
Hell, let's make it simple. We have over two million citizens behind bars. That's more people behind bars in America than Europe, Canada and Australia combined.

Every day people graduate from the University of Crime and Mayhem yet the population of the University does not decrease. So...how many ex cons do we have on the streets?
How many more criminals shall we train?
I think we've trained enough criminals. It's time to try something else.

Hmm guess I am pretty much a minority. Never arrested, not even a traffic ticket. There was some stockade time in the Army, but what the heck it was quiet time.

Lol...
Hell, let's make it simple. We have over two million citizens behind bars. That's more people behind bars in America than Europe, Canada and Australia combined.

Every day people graduate from the University of Crime and Mayhem yet the population of the University does not decrease. So...how many ex cons do we have on the streets?
How many more criminals shall we train?
I think we've trained enough criminals. It's time to try something else.

So now we are talking about numbers instead of percentages? Because if so I would have to point out that we probably have a larger population than Canada and Australia combined (not sure about Europe, as last I checked it was a continent, not a country).

I think that's because we're particularly harsh on property crime here. You can get felon status for things like making a bad check. 37% of Mississippi is black, 30% of registered voters are black...

It's neo-segregation in action.

I have to agree!

Back