2016 College Football

Washington might win. This is true. But I seriously doubt it. The Tide's defense is just too tough. And the D will score.

Both teams have good defenses, n' Alabama's defense isn't "too tough", I don't even think the Seahawks' defense is "too tough".

Washington's offense seems to be better then Alabama's, butt: that's why the game is scheduled in order to sort out which team will actually win the football game on the actual field of play.

Alabama, (as a reigning national champ), really handled a young USC team early in the season, I doubt they would have such an easy time now, as USC is hot as Penn State will find out.

Most observers would agree agree with yer pick, as this 2016 Alabama team is very good.

That said: I remain convinced that the dawgs are gonna do 'em.

Petersen needs a national championship to get the recognition as a coach that he deserves, (that his great program at Boise State was unable to deliver).

Dominating the Pac 12 with only one loss, (and a near miss at Arizona), is a different level of football then Boise State played in.

If Alabama, (OSU or Clemson), denies Washington this season, the dawgs are gonna be back. Mark my werds here.

Both teams have good defenses, n' Alabama's defense isn't "too tough", I don't even think the Seahawks' defense is "too tough".

Washington's offense seems to be better then Alabama's, butt: that's why the game is scheduled in order to sort out which team will actually win the football game on the actual field of play.

Alabama, (as a reigning national champ), really handled a young USC team early in the season, I doubt they would have such an easy time now, as USC is hot as Penn State will find out.

Most observers would agree agree with yer pick, as this 2016 Alabama team is very good.

That said: I remain convinced that the dawgs are gonna do 'em.

Petersen needs a national championship to get the recognition as a coach that he deserves, (that his great program at Boise State was unable to deliver).

Dominating the Pac 12 with only one loss, (and a near miss at Arizona), is a different level of football then Boise State played in.

If Alabama, (OSU or Clemson), denies Washington this season, the dawgs are gonna be back. Mark my werds here.

I did not mean the defense was "too tough" in general. Just too tough for Washington's high powered offense. USC held the Huskies to a pair of field goals and a single TD. Browning had 1 TD pass and 2 interceptions. And Alabama's defense is better in every measureable way. Bama's defense will score if you throw 2 interceptions. Of the 11 starters on D, 7 of them have scored touchdowns. Our coverage is better than USC's and our D line is the best the Huskies have seen.

Our offense is pretty damned good. Mostly kept simple for teh true freshman, but he doesn't get rattled at all. He has either run for or thrown 32 TDs this year. Good running backs, excellent receivers, and a tightend that scores if you forget him (ask Clemson). So there are a lot of weapons.

I did not mean the defense was "too tough" in general. Just too tough for Washington's high powered offense. USC held the Huskies to a pair of field goals and a single TD. Browning had 1 TD pass and 2 interceptions. And Alabama's defense is better in every measureable way.

I don't agree with "Alabama's defense is better in every measureable way." Personnel wise USC is a match for Alabama, Washington isn't is good (on paper) as either school in terms of size, strength, speed, and raw talent, butt: Washington is improving in a big hurry.

Bama's defense will score if you throw 2 interceptions. Of the 11 starters on D, 7 of them have scored touchdowns. Our coverage is better than USC's and our D line is the best the Huskies have seen.

I would agree that Alabama's defense is the best the Huskies have seen this season.

Our offense is pretty damned good. Mostly kept simple for teh true freshman, but he doesn't get rattled at all. He has either run for or thrown 32 TDs this year. Good running backs, excellent receivers, and a tightend that scores if you forget him (ask Clemson). So there are a lot of weapons.

No doubt, lots of very deep talent, (like USC also has).

That said: Saban is up against Petersen who needs to make a name fer hisef.

Alabama hasn't faced a Washington type offense this season.

It will be interesting to see how this part, (Bama D vs dawg's O), of the match works.

USC did shut 'em down hard, butt: USC plays in the PAC 12 that has many wide open offenses.

Alabama is a very good team that is very straight forward in their run pass offense that relies on brute force.

Washington is more complex and flat out explosive when they are in gear.

As I said: the dawgs are gonna do 'em.

"UW's Chris Petersen joins Alabama's Nick Saban, Clemson's Dabo Swinney and Ohio State's Urban Meyer during a College Football Playoff press conference Thursday in Atlanta.

Originally published December 8, 2016 at 5:39 pm Updated December 8, 2016 at 7:33 pm

By Adam Jude
Seattle Times staff reporter

Washington coach Chris Petersen joined Alabama’s Nick Saban, Clemson’s Dabo Swinney and Ohio State’s Urban Meyer during a College Football Playoff press conference Thursday afternoon in Atlanta.
Some highlights from the Q&A with Petersen and Saban, who will coach against each other back in Atlanta for the Dec. 31 Peach Bowl:

CHRIS PETERSEN: Thank you. Thanks for having us. The rookie up here, so I’m just kind of eyes wide open, kind of echoing what they say and what they do. On behalf of the Pac-12 and the University of Washington, we’re so thrilled to have an opportunity. Unbelievable challenge playing this great Alabama team and program. But we are so excited. Very appreciative of our administration, our players, our coaches to have an opportunity to get here. Thank you.

Q. Coach Petersen, just wondering what you thought of Alabama’s defense now that you’ve had a chance to watch them a little bit.

CHRIS PETERSEN: Yeah, I watched them a little bit, so I was coming out here today on the plane, and I know about their offense, and I know about their defense. Didn’t get real excited about watching them, so I put on their special teams, and I was even more depressed showing up here today. So I think that puts it in context for you. I mean, they’re — it’s that thing. And I know you hear this all the time from coaches, it’s like, yeah, they’ve got great players, they’re well-coached, these teams that have done well. But I think you put that tape on, and they’ve got really good players and they don’t give you anything. I mean, they’re excellent. There’s a reason that they’re ranked how they are.

Q. Coach Petersen, you’ve helped turn Washington around. You’ve pulled off some big upsets in your career, but how are you going to embrace the underdog role going into the game with Alabama?
CHRIS PETERSEN: You know, like we do any game really. We’re just going to study tape, like Coach Saban is saying, try to figure out the best way to practice our guys with a combination of getting better but also getting them fresh and healed up and ready to play a really big game. I mean, I think that’s one of the things that I think coaches have different philosophies on in terms of this time that we have, so much time between when you play, some guys like to practice a whole bunch, some don’t, and I don’t know what the right answer is, but I think we’re always trying to tinker with that and figure out what the best thing for our players is.
Q. This is for the two coaches in the Chick-Fil-a Peach Bowl. Coach Petersen, I guess it’s made for Alabama for this to be an advantage for them to play in Atlanta. Do you see that as a disadvantage for your team coming so far from home? And Coach Saban, your record in the Georgia Dome is just incredible; what do you like about playing in Atlanta?
NICK SABAN: Well, first of all, we certainly appreciate the hospitality that we get when we come to Atlanta. I don’t think that any of the success that we’ve had in the past is going to have any effect on the next game that we have here in Atlanta because — and I don’t really think that there’s any advantage or disadvantage. It’s a neutral-site game for both of us. I think the field when we played there against Florida was 53 yards wide and 100 yards deep, so I think it’ll be that way for both teams. They’re both very good teams with a lot of good players. It’s going to be who can execute the best and play the best with the most consistency, and none of those other things are really going to have a lot to do with the outcome of the game other than what the players do when they play.

CHRIS PETERSEN: Yeah, I think it’ll be — playing inside is going to be loud any way you cut it, but it’s something we’ve dealt with all year long. I think most of the venues that all of us play in get really loud, and you practice with that all the time. Yeah, it’ll be a challenge. I think it always is. I think the big challenge is not getting too emotional about the whole situation and keeping emotions in check and not letting the pageantry and the emotional part of the game get too big, and that’s easier said than done. But it’s something that we work on all the time.
Q. Coach Saban, what is unique about the University of Washington’s quarterback Jake Browning?

NICK SABAN: Well, I went to California yesterday, so I got to watch Washington all the way out and all the way back. I was very, very impressed with their offense in terms of how they execute, the balance that they have and their ability to run the ball with some very good backs, some very talented receivers. But a quarterback who really understands his offense very well, executes it very well, gets the ball out of his hand quickly, knows when to throw the RPOs and when to hand the ball off and can make plays down the field, as well, and is athletic enough to scramble, extend plays and make plays with his feet. This is probably as good an all-around player at that position that we’ve played against all year long.
Q. Nick, you said you watched tape there and back from California. Overall impressions, first initial impressions of John Ross and Dante Pettis, and what does having two receivers like that do to a defense that can basically do a little bit of everything?
NICK SABAN: I think when you have skill players, good runners, good receivers, good quarterback, and some pretty fair tight ends that they have, they have a lot of options and a lot of weapons on offense, and I think they’re very well-coached, and they do a lot of things to utilize those weapons, and I think that’s always a real challenge when a team has that kind of balance and all those weapons. I think this is by far probably the most explosive, most balanced offensive team that we’ve played all year long.

..."

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...st-balanced-offensive-team-alabama-has-faced/

Pre game schmoozing...

I don't agree with "Alabama's defense is better in every measureable way." Personnel wise USC is a match for Alabama, Washington isn't is good (on paper) as either school in terms of size, strength, speed, and raw talent, butt: Washington is improving in a big hurry.

I would agree that Alabama's defense is the best the Huskies have seen this season.

No doubt, lots of very deep talent, (like USC also has).

That said: Saban is up against Petersen who needs to make a name fer hisef.

Alabama hasn't faced a Washington type offense this season.

It will be interesting to see how this part, (Bama D vs dawg's O), of the match works.

USC did shut 'em down hard, butt: USC plays in the PAC 12 that has many wide open offenses.

Alabama is a very good team that is very straight forward in their run pass offense that relies on brute force.

Washington is more complex and flat out explosive when they are in gear.

As I said: the dawgs are gonna do 'em.

I have no doubt that Peterson will have some new looks for Bama. Most teams we played have done so. It works for a quarter. Then the adjustments are made.

If you look at the defensive stats, Alabama is better than USC is virtually every measureable way.

ESPN ranks Alabama's total defense #2 in the nation. USC is ranked #27. Our rushing defense is #1 in the nation, while USC's is #26.
Alabama has gotten 45 sacks for a total of 370 yards lost by their opponents. USC had gotten 25 sacks for a total of 187 yards lost by their opponents. (Ranking for sacks: Alabama is #3/USC is #67)
Alabama has gotten 14 interceptions. USC has gotten 11. That looks almost close. But Alabama got 344 yards out of those 14, while USC got 78 yards out of the 11 interceptions. Our defense gets turnovers and scores.

ESPN ranks Alabama #1 in defensive efficiency. USC is ranked #15.

NCAA.com ranks Bama's defense #1 and USC's #30.

If you think USC's defense matches up to Bama's, you need to watch more of our games.

In defensive scoring, Bama has returned 5 fumbles for TDs and returned 5 interceptions for TDs. That is 10 TDs scored by the defense. We are #1 at it. USC is not ranked. The rankings require at least 2 defensive scores. USC has not done that.

Alabama has a total offense ranking of #16. USC's is #34. Washington is #11.

Which team plays in a conference known more for offense than for defense?
Alabama has averaged 471 yards per game. Washington has averaged 477.
Alabama has averaged 40.5 points per game. Washington has averaged 44.5.
Alabama has scored 527 points this season. Washington has scored 578 this season.

Alabama's offense does not rely on brute force. The days of "Three yards and a cloud of dust" are gone. We can still do it, but there are far more options now. We have passed for 2,942 yards this season and rushed for 3,185.

But one thing you said I agree with. "Washington is more complex and flat out explosive when they are in gear" is accurate. But USC showed that the Huskies can be stopped from getting in gear. And with the best defensive line (#2 by some people, but that is largely because Tim Williams (10.5 sacks) is listed as linebacker instead of DE), getting in gear is something few teams have managed.

But we will see. But don't kid yourself that USC's defense matches up to Bama's.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Peterson will have some new looks for Bama. Most teams we played have done so. It works for a quarter. Then the adjustments are made.

If you look at the defensive stats, Alabama is better than USC is virtually every measureable way.

I specifically stated the raw talent of the two teams personnel USC and Alabama were matched, (size speed strength), Alabama is a far better team, (speaking to both defensive and offensive personnel as far as team statistics) then USC is, this year for sure.

ESPN ranks Alabama's total defense #2 in the nation. USC is ranked #27. Our rushing defense is #1 in the nation, while USC's is #26.
Alabama has gotten 45 sacks for a total of 370 yards lost by their opponents. USC had gotten 25 sacks for a total of 187 yards lost by their opponents. (Ranking for sacks: Alabama is #3/USC is #67)
Alabama has gotten 14 interceptions. USC has gotten 11. That looks almost close. But Alabama got 344 yards out of those 14, while USC got 78 yards out of the 11 interceptions. Our defense gets turnovers and scores.

ESPN ranks Alabama #1 in defensive efficiency. USC is ranked #15.

NCAA.com ranks Bama's defense #1 and USC's #30.

If you think USC's defense matches up to Bama's, you need to watch more of our games.

In defensive scoring, Bama has returned 5 fumbles for TDs and returned 5 interceptions for TDs. That is 10 TDs scored by the defense. We are #1 at it. USC is not ranked. The rankings require at least 2 defensive scores. USC has not done that.

Alabama has a total offense ranking of #16. USC's is #34. Washington is #11.

Which team plays in a conference known more for offense than for defense?
Alabama has averaged 471 yards per game. Washington has averaged 477.
Alabama has averaged 40.5 points per game. Washington has averaged 44.5.
Alabama has scored 527 points this season. Washington has scored 578 this season.

Alabama's offense does not rely on brute force. The days of "Three yards and a cloud of dust" are gone. We can still do it, but there are far more options now. We have passed for 2,942 yards this season and rushed for 3,185.

But one thing you said I agree with. "Washington is more complex and flat out explosive when they are in gear" is accurate. But USC showed that the Huskies can be stopped from getting in gear. And with the best defensive line (#2 by some people, but that is largely because Tim Williams (10.5 sacks) is listed as linebacker instead of DE), getting in gear is something few teams have managed.

But we will see. But don't kid yourself that USC's defense matches up to Bama's.

Again I was speaking of raw physical talent. USC is as loaded with talent as Alabama is, it is nowhere near as good of a team.

I'm so happy for Baylor to be able to win like that last night after a crazy season with all their turmoil. I hope A&M wins tonight against Kansas State as well.

I'm so happy for Baylor to be able to win like that last night after a crazy season with all their turmoil. I hope A&M wins tonight against Kansas State as well.

Was glad to see Baylor win as well...but I am torn tonight as one of my favorite kids plays against a Big 12 team. I would normally root for the Big 12 in bowl season no questions asked but I really like Trevor Knight. Seems like a good kid and I've wished for his success since he left OU. Probably will just sit back and enjoy the game no matter the outcome.

Hasn't been a good week for the Pacific NW, with EWU choking away an FCS championship opportunity, and then WSU and BSU losing yesterday.

As for KSU vs ATM, that will probably be an easy Aggies win. Go Wildcats!

Tomorrow the playoff starts.

My predictions are as follows:

Bama beats Washington. It will be scary at first, with Bama's offense starting slow. By halftime the momentum will shift. The 4th quarter will be all Crimson Tide.

Clemson beat OSU. It will stay close, but eventually Watson will make it happen.

Back