A good example of why southern conservatives are not trusted.

Isn't it true that if you pay an average cost you get an average education? Just asking.

No, Tom, it's not. The discussion began with vouchers and letting parents choose the education they felt was best. Cost of private schools entered because zap said that private schools were too expensive and only the wealthy could afford them, he cited a personal example. So the average cost argument arrose.

How come you needed an explanation??? Rhetorcial question.

To them poor people are stray animals that shouldn't be fed.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/1199662.html

His correlation of the low test scores of schools where the most students receive free or reduced price lunches is particularly aggregeous, not to mention just plain factually wrong and heartless. I wonder if he stopped to consider that the poor have less access to educational resources and that could just possibly be the reason for those low test scores and when you also consider that in South Carolina the vast majority of poor are African Americans then his comments border on the pathetically racist.

This magnifies the caution political analyst gave to Republicans after the Brown election. The American public will not stand for this kind of hateful, misanthropic reactionary behavior from conservative politicians.

Don't you just love it when bigots blurt out their subconscious prejudices, and then back pedal with all types of convoluted logic and double talk that would have made the opinion page of Stormfront?

But to be fair, this mindset isn't the sole property of southern conservative politicians....you can find it in northern liberal politicians as well.

Last edited:
No, Tom, it's not. The discussion began with vouchers and letting parents choose the education they felt was best. Cost of private schools entered because zap said that private schools were too expensive and only the wealthy could afford them, he cited a personal example. So the average cost argument arrose.

How come you needed an explanation??? Rhetorcial question.

If private schools were so affordable, as you claim, then people wouldn't be clamoring for vouchers. There wouldn't be any education discussion. People would send their children to a private school. Problem solved.

As for cost the greatest need for private schools would be in poor areas as opposed to affluent suburbs due to drugs, violence, lack of proper food/clothing, etc. Poor areas are usually inner city so logic dictates one has to consider the cost of inner city, private schools. In any case, whether tuition is $3,000/yr or $30,000/yr a parent earning minimum wage or on welfare can not afford it.

Here comes the tricky part. If those parents can not afford private schools it means they are too expensive. Take a moment and try to make the connection. Can't afford it = too expensive.

Sorry, but I can't dumb it down any more for you.

Don't you just love it when bigots blurt out their subconscious prejudices, and then back pedal with all types of convoluted logic and double talk that would have made the opinion page of Stormfront?

But to be fair, this mindset isn't the sole property of southern conservative politicians....you can find it in northern liberal politicians as well.
Like Rahm Emanuel? Yeah, it's a real kick... :rolleyes:

As for cost the greatest need for private schools would be in poor areas as opposed to affluent suburbs due to drugs, violence, lack of proper food/clothing, etc. Poor areas are usually inner city so logic dictates one has to consider the cost of inner city, private schools. In any case, whether tuition is $3,000/yr or $30,000/yr a parent earning minimum wage or on welfare can not afford it.
and yet it puzzles you that people want vouchers......why?.....if we give a poor person a voucher for $7000 instead of giving a public school $11000....then everyone wins.....the taxpayers pay less, the parents have the money for the private school, the kid gets a better education......so what was your objection again?.......

If private schools were so affordable, as you claim, then people wouldn't be clamoring for vouchers. There wouldn't be any education discussion. People would send their children to a private school. Problem solved.

Here comes the tricky part. If those parents can not afford private schools it means they are too expensive. Take a moment and try to make the connection. Can't afford it = too expensive.

Sorry, but I can't dumb it down any more for you.

apple, if you got any dumber you'd take the prize!

It's like duh dork. The whole argument was about giving vouchers in the way of the money that would otherwise go to the public school! Let the money follow the child. As to the "numbers", they were not mine they are THE numbers representative of the average costs related to a private education.

Do try and follow along there old fellow.

and yet it puzzles you that people want vouchers......why?.....if we give a poor person a voucher for $7000 instead of giving a public school $11000....then everyone wins.....the taxpayers pay less, the parents have the money for the private school, the kid gets a better education......so what was your objection again?.......

My objection is who is going to oversee the multitude of private schools if public schools are abandoned? What will happen if a private school decides to close its doors? Where do those children go? What assurance do we have there will be sufficient private schools? Suppose a school refuses to take a child. Where does that child go?

If public schools are abandoned what is to stop the local private school from raising prices? After all, the price of goods and services in our society are based on "what the market can bear". One year your child attends a local private school and the next year tuition is raised. Where will that child attend school the following year?

Like anything that is a private enterprise greed will run it. Private schools are not some new cure-all. Private schools have been around since the beginning of time. That's how people, hundreds of years ago, received an education and that's why the majority did not. That's why public schools came into being.

What is to stop them from reverting to what they originally were? They're private. They can charge what they want. They can refuse any child. Why should anyone pay taxes for vouchers to support a school which can deny their child admittance?

apple, if you got any dumber you'd take the prize!

It's like duh dork. The whole argument was about giving vouchers in the way of the money that would otherwise go to the public school! Let the money follow the child. As to the "numbers", they were not mine they are THE numbers representative of the average costs related to a private education.

Do try and follow along there old fellow.

Read my post #88. That's the problem with private schools. As more money is given to private schools public schools will suffer. That's why public schools came into being. The world started with private schools and it had to be changed. Ask yourself why.

That said, you're still a cutie. :-)

My objection is who is going to oversee the multitude of private schools if public schools are abandoned? What will happen if a private school decides to close its doors? Where do those children go? What assurance do we have there will be sufficient private schools? Suppose a school refuses to take a child. Where does that child go?

If public schools are abandoned what is to stop the local private school from raising prices? After all, the price of goods and services in our society are based on "what the market can bear". One year your child attends a local private school and the next year tuition is raised. Where will that child attend school the following year?

Like anything that is a private enterprise greed will run it. Private schools are not some new cure-all. Private schools have been around since the beginning of time. That's how people, hundreds of years ago, received an education and that's why the majority did not. That's why public schools came into being.

What is to stop them from reverting to what they originally were? They're private. They can charge what they want. They can refuse any child. Why should anyone pay taxes for vouchers to support a school which can deny their child admittance?
Exactly! The private sector doe not have the capability to affectively educate our kids at a reasonable cost for the entire nation. Undermining the public schools to favor those wealthy enough to send their kids to private schools is beyond stupid.

Sure I can...but you are not a person. You are fat zap the hypocritical asshole.

I am not wrong, the CATO numbers have not been made irrelevent by you or apple. You, nor he, have posted a link of any numbers that show a different national average cost of a private education.

Oh yeah...more name calling...that cements the validity of your numbers.

You are wrong.

The CATO numbers have been rendered irrelevant due to the TEN YEARS that have passed since their release. Maybe they WERE accurate in 2000, but this isn't 2000, is it?

Read my post #88. That's the problem with private schools. As more money is given to private schools public schools will suffer. That's why public schools came into being.

The world started with private schools and it had to be changed. Ask yourself why.

Don't hold your breath waiting on that one...

If the schools don't admit the child then they don't get paid. Many private schools are not-for-profit and in fact are less expensive as the public schools in the same area.

See that?

You CAN have a civil discussion with another person...I KNEW you could do it if you tried hard enough.

It's nice to know your hatred of me is so all consuming you won't admit when you are wrong...

lol....ZG neg reps me for correcting a erroneous claim.....aren't liberals grand?.....

lol....ZG neg reps me for correcting a erroneous claim.....aren't liberals grand?.....

Oh my heavens...what will I do now??

PMP runs to his mommy..."that mean ol ZG neg repped me...I'm gonna TELL on him!"

I neg repped you for being a condescending whiner...don't like it then stop whining.:good4u:

Don't hold your breath waiting on that one...

I swear some right wingers never picked up a history book in their life. From the financial crisis and bank regulations to wanting to privatize Social Security to private schools they have no clue why things are the way they are. They can't wrap their mind around the idea the things they want to try have been tried and found to be ineffective.

The same thing with health care. They don't understand every country started out with a "pay or suffer" system and virtually every universal medical system is superior.

It's no wonder Obama told them not to come to the table with tired, worn out arguments. It's the same nonsense with all their arguments. Everything they suggest has been tried in the past. They can't grasp the idea there was a reason for government involvement.

A note to RWers: The world started out with no government. Everything, without exception, was government-free. As society evolved people saw the need for government intervention because of the greed and injustice. Please, pick up a history book.

Oh my heavens...what will I do now??

PMP runs to his mommy..."that mean ol ZG neg repped me...I'm gonna TELL on him!"

I neg repped you for being a condescending whiner...don't like it then stop whining.:good4u:

no you neg repped me because you are a brainless idiot.....that remains beyond my control.....

Oh yeah...more name calling...that cements the validity of your numbers.

You are wrong.

The CATO numbers have been rendered irrelevant due to the TEN YEARS that have passed since their release. Maybe they WERE accurate in 2000, but this isn't 2000, is it?

No, the CATO numbers still fall within the average costs.

Read my post #88. That's the problem with private schools. As more money is given to private schools public schools will suffer. That's why public schools came into being. The world started with private schools and it had to be changed. Ask yourself why.

That is not why public schools all came into being.

Back