A smarter way to get 'free' electricity

Only if they want your money.
So you're admitting that one CAN in fact invest in a private company... Thank you.

Of course, you will never say the magic words..... "gfm7175, you were correct and I, Althea, was WRONG".

Nobody ever said that you couldn't,
You've quite literally spent most of this thread arguing that I couldn't invest in a private company.

but I kicked your ass around the board so many times,
Pure fantasy.

you're changing the discussion
Projection. YOU were the one who diverted the thread topic discussion away to this particular subdiscussion (in your attempt to "score some brownie points" against T.A. Gardner regarding what you incorrectly claimed to be his "inability" to invest in his local electric company).

This is YOUR issue, dude. You can't make it go away by pretending that it belongs to me.

Instead of stupidly investing in solar panels for your home, buy stock in the local utility company (note does not apply in blue states where these companies are often sued and punished for making power).

Buy sufficient stock so that the rate of increase in value and dividends equals or exceeds your yearly total cost of electricity.

APS is a private company.

Next

APS is publicly traded.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PNW

They are held by Pinnacle West and publicly traded. The current price is about $74 a share.

Have you ever heard of 'equity'?

You cannot buy shares of a company that isn't traded on the market.

Clearly you haven't heard of 'equity'.
Clearly you've never seen the TV show 'Shark Tank'.

I've been watching since season 1.

This isn't that, no matter how hard you try to make sense of the idiotic claim in the OP

Equity in a corporation means for the most part means shares. You are buying a share of the corporation, and the certificates of these shares are called shares.

One can buy and sell shares in a privately held company, but it is difficult. If there are too many owners, it has to be publicly traded, so the number of owners is limited. And because there is not automatic price discovery, there must be lengthy negotiations before a sale. The Shark Tank makes it look easy, but the negotiations usually last for weeks if not months.

In short, while ONE can buy shares in a privately held company, YOU cannot.

In short, investing in a private company CAN be done. Thank you for agreeing with me and disagreeing with Althea.

Technically, Althea said YOU cannot invest in a privately held utility, which is correct. There is no way any reasonably sized privately held company would even consider having you as an investor.

Who says I can't? In any event, it doesn't matter whether it's me or anyone else. It CAN be done. That's the point. Althea acted as if it couldn't be done.

It can be done only for the most connected, high value investors. That is not you.

Ummm, no. Anyone with a bit of money can do it.

Hey genius...how much 'equity' can you buy from Musk for X?

You are correct.

Shark Tank makes it all look easy. As someone who has actually dealt with selling shares in a privately held company, I can tell you that it all takes weeks or months. And you have to be careful of how many people own shares, or you might force your company public without meaning to. No one is doing all this for a normal retail investor.

How is one supposed to invest in a business that, by definition, can't be invested in? You might as well become a married bachelor while you're at it.....

That was my point to you, moron. You offered Shark Tank as proof that people can obtain equity in a company that has no desire to take on capital. You've done so much twisting and squirming, you don't even realize what a fool you are.

Now go away. You've been schooled by Walt and myself on this topic.

No amount of changing the topic will make you look reasonable

... yet I CAN invest in a private company. :)

Only if they want your money. Nobody ever said that you couldn't, but I kicked your ass around the board so many times, you're changing the discussion

Thank you.

You are welcome

You are confusing "private companies" with "privately held companies." It is very difficult, if not impossible for small investors to invest in privately held companies.

Private companies are privately held. There is no difference, even if the stock is publicly traded.

Apple is a private company, but not privately held. It is publicly traded.

Actually, most public companies are privately held. That is ironic.

Apple is a privately held company. Most of it's stock is also held by individuals.
ALL companies are privately held, Sock.

You are confusing "private companies" with "privately held companies."
??? Private companies are privately held. Right??

It is very difficult, if not impossible for small investors to invest in privately held companies.
No, it's not. A plethora of examples of how to invest in one have already been provided.

Althea attempted to redefine "private company" into "private company not accepting investments" in order to falsely claim that one can't invest in a private company. Althea is also stuck in the paradox of: 1) it CAN be done, 2) it CAN'T be done

You are also stuck in the very same paradox, even in this very comment of yours... "very difficult" means that it CAN be done; "impossible" means that it CAN'T be done.

Either it CAN be done or it CAN'T be done. Althea argued that it can't be done (until later getting schooled on it. Althea has since attempted to retreat into a redefinition and a paradox in order to avoid facing the truth of being incorrect).

You, being incapable of disagreeing with a fellow liberal (aka a "tribe mate"), have also now adopted the same paradox. You wish to be irrational rather than rebuke a fellow "tribe mate" and be correct for a change.

Last edited:
??? Private companies are privately held. Right??

Some private companies are privately held, but many are publicly traded.

Have you ever seen a stock certificate? Privately held stocks are often actually handed to you. They are neat.

While all publicly traded stocks in the USA are technically owned Cede. Cede has all the certificates in vaults in NYC, and we buy and sell the rights to those stocks. Rights that are almost never exercised.

Anyway, a privately held company is only allowed a limited number of investors, and does not have any price discovery, so is not interested in small investors. Apple, Amazon, Exon, etc. will allow almost anyone to buy a share on the stock market. But a privately held company is not interested in your money.

Back