A smarter way to get 'free' electricity

Some private companies are privately held, but many are publicly traded.

Have you ever seen a stock certificate? Privately held stocks are often actually handed to you. They are neat.

While all publicly traded stocks in the USA are technically owned Cede. Cede has all the certificates in vaults in NYC, and we buy and sell the rights to those stocks. Rights that are almost never exercised.

Anyway, a privately held company is only allowed a limited number of investors, and does not have any price discovery, so is not interested in small investors. Apple, Amazon, Exon, etc. will allow almost anyone to buy a share on the stock market. But a privately held company is not interested in your money.
She's going to continue to pick the nits off of herself until someone gets bored with her.

My rather wealthy cousin has a group of investors who run a hedge fund. They only take on healthcare related companies, and the minimum investment is $1,000,000.00

No matter how much I claim that I can invest with them if I want...it's simply not possible for me. Nor for gfm.

If by "help", you mean 'provide a hearty laugh', then you're definitely getting the job done. :)
Good point. When I kick your ass around this board, many get a hearty laugh.

Sometimes I do it for the laughs. Often, I do it to educate you.

An exercise in futility.

She's going to continue to pick the nits off of herself until someone gets bored with her.

My rather wealthy cousin has a group of investors who run a hedge fund. They only take on healthcare related companies, and the minimum investment is $1,000,000.00

No matter how much I claim that I can invest with them if I want...it's simply not possible for me. Nor for gfm.

Sometimes it is not enough just to have $1 million (or $1 billion), you have to be able to lose it without impacting your life. If you cannot lose the entire investment, then you might pull out at a bad time.

But many times it is what else you can bring to a company. This is especially true with startups. They aren't just accepting $100 million in investment, but also expect you to be able to do something for the company.

Sometimes it is not enough just to have $1 million (or $1 billion), you have to be able to lose it without impacting your life. If you cannot lose the entire investment, then you might pull out at a bad time.

But many times it is what else you can bring to a company. This is especially true with startups. They aren't just accepting $100 million in investment, but also expect you to be able to do something for the company.
Which is often how the Sharks explain their valuations to those who come looking for investment.

Solar panels make it harder to sell your home to all the potential buyers who don't want to be stradled by them.

What do you mean "stradled by them"? Do you mean getting essentially free electricity with a home is NOT a selling point?

Which is often how the Sharks explain their valuations to those who come looking for investment.

Or looked at another way, when these alt right posters would go to a privately held company, they would say, "I have $100, and barely graduated from high school. I used to work at a low paying job, but got fired 20 years ago, and decided to call it retirement."

They do not even know the difference between publicly traded companies, and privately held companies.

??? Private companies are privately held. Right??

No, it's not. A plethora of examples of how to invest in one have already been provided.

Althea attempted to redefine "private company" into "private company not accepting investments" in order to falsely claim that one can't invest in a private company. Althea is also stuck in the paradox of: 1) it CAN be done, 2) it CAN'T be done

You are also stuck in the very same paradox, even in this very comment of yours... "very difficult" means that it CAN be done; "impossible" means that it CAN'T be done.

Either it CAN be done or it CAN'T be done. Althea argued that it can't be done (until later getting schooled on it. Althea has since attempted to retreat into a redefinition and a paradox in order to avoid facing the truth of being incorrect).

You, being incapable of disagreeing with a fellow liberal (aka a "tribe mate"), have also now adopted the same paradox. You wish to be irrational rather than rebuke a fellow "tribe mate" and be correct for a change.

It's the same person.

Or looked at another way, when these alt right posters would go to a privately held company, they would say, "I have $100, and barely graduated from high school. I used to work at a low paying job, but got fired 20 years ago, and decided to call it retirement."

They do not even know the difference between publicly traded companies, and privately held companies.

You are describing (and posting to) yourself, Sock. You can't project YOUR problems on anybody else.

What do you mean "stradled by them"? Do you mean getting essentially free electricity with a home is NOT a selling point?
The panels/system come(s) with regular, required maintenance bills. Will the seller reduce the price of the home if he gets to keep his solar panels?

The panels/system come(s) with regular, required maintenance bills.

Such as? I'm seriously asking because I've had them for about 10 years now and I haven't had any maintenance at all save rinsing them off once in a while. What am I missing?

It ain't free. TANSTAAFL.

Someone who buys the house gets the solar panels for the cost of the house, the solar panels are sufficient for this house resulting in a zero balance electricity bill every month, so it kinda feels "free" relative to the overall cost of the house.

But I get it, you don't like solar PV systems. Whoopdeedoo. I guarantee you I enjoy mine every day of the year.

Someone who buys the house gets the solar panels for the cost of the house, the solar panels are sufficient for this house resulting in a zero balance electricity bill every month, so it kinda feels "free" relative to the overall cost of the house.

But I get it, you don't like solar PV systems. Whoopdeedoo. I guarantee you I enjoy mine every day of the year.

That's not generally true. Most PV systems only reduce the electrical bill. Also, if the cost (buying price) of the house rose (is higher) then those panels weren't "free" and you are paying indirectly for your electricity through that difference in cost.

I have no idea what you paid for your solar array, but I can almost certainly guess it was too much to make up for the cost of the electricity bills supposedly "saved."

Also, if you haven't paid off the full cost of the loan on those panels, or worse are leasing them, try selling your house. I can tell you with 100% certainty if you have a loan or lease on the panels and system, you will have great difficulty selling your home to just about anybody other than one of those low balling, below market value, "We buy ugly houses guys." Nobody wants the hassle of dealing with YOUR loan or lease after they close. NOBODY.

It's not "essentially free". You pay for the monthly electricity cost up front through the cost of the solar panels. It is essentially a pre-paid expense.

And no, rooftop solar panels are NOT a selling point.

It ain't free. TANSTAAFL.

Back