A smarter way to get 'free' electricity

I tried to explain this to gfm and Terry. If they want to get 'free' electricity by looking for a stock that's only paying a 4% dividend, then let them try.

Of course, this is evidently a 'thought experiment'.

You finally figuring that out?? Man are you a SLOW one!

As the discussion devolved into back pedaling, and making false claims, the terminology was lost.

Lots of companies are publicly traded on a variety of markets. If a company is not publicly traded, like Twitter (now X) nobody can magically acquire equity in a company that isn't taking outside investment.

The Shark Tank reference was moronic. Companies/individuals approach the Sharks LOOKING for investment. Which is why I can't get gfm to tell us one time a Shark ever knocked on a door looking to obtain equity in a business that simply isn't looking for investors.

Annnnnnnnnd now comes the definition and redefinition posts. I already know you can't read and understand the English language, Sock.

I tried to explain this to gfm and Terry. If they want to get 'free' electricity by looking for a stock that's only paying a 4% dividend, then let them try.

Of course, this is evidently a 'thought experiment'.

And by "thought experiment" he means something that makes no sense.

As the discussion devolved into back pedaling, and making false claims, the terminology was lost.

Lots of companies are publicly traded on a variety of markets. If a company is not publicly traded, like Twitter (now X) nobody can magically acquire equity in a company that isn't taking outside investment.

The Shark Tank reference was moronic. Companies/individuals approach the Sharks LOOKING for investment. Which is why I can't get gfm to tell us one time a Shark ever knocked on a door looking to obtain equity in a business that simply isn't looking for investors.

You are correct.

Shark Tank makes it all look easy. As someone who has actually dealt with selling shares in a privately held company, I can tell you that it all takes weeks or months. And you have to be careful of how many people own shares, or you might force your company public without meaning to. No one is doing all this for a normal retail investor.

You are correct.

Shark Tank makes it all look easy. As someone who has actually dealt with selling shares in a privately held company, I can tell you that it all takes weeks or months. And you have to be careful of how many people own shares, or you might force your company public without meaning to. No one is doing all this for a normal retail investor.
I'm not very familiar with that, but as I've mentioned...I had the opposite happen.

I had shares of a company I really liked, that paid a decent dividend. I reinvested said dividends and had plans to hold this until I needed to use the dividend for income.

Suddenly, the parent company chose to buy up all outstanding shares and my little party was over.

Coincidentally, this company leased land to utility/cell companies and pipeline companies. For an investment at a fraction of the cost of the equity in the OP, I could have easily paid my monthly electric bill.

This is your issue.

The Shark Tank reference was moronic.
No, it was a direct refutation to a moronic claim of YOURS that YOU made, claiming that it somehow wasn't possible to invest in a private company.

Companies/individuals approach the Sharks LOOKING for investment.
Right, and by doing so, the Sharks are quite literally INVESTING. IN. PRIVATE. COMPANIES. (You're even right here admitting it yourself with your own language) ... That's hook, line, and sinker to your moronic position, Althea. There's a plethora of other applicable examples of investing in a private company, but all I need is one example to show that it CAN be done. Into The Night also had a post a while back describing how it can be done.

Which is why I can't get gfm to tell us one time a Shark ever knocked on a door looking to obtain equity in a business that simply isn't looking for investors.
How is one supposed to invest in a business that, by definition, can't be invested in? You might as well become a married bachelor while you're at it.....

All I need to show you, in order to falsify your stupid claim, is the existence of one private company that someone else invested in. I've already done that, as have others, and now you look like a moron for doubling down on your own stupidity. That's your issue, not mine.

Edit: For shits and giggles, I'll provide you yet ANOTHER example of how one can invest in a private company.

1) My uncle starts up an HVAC business.
2) My uncle asks me for additional start-up funding in exchange for some equity in his business.
3) I provide him $X in exchange for X% equity in his business.

I've now invested in my uncle's PRIVATE HVAC COMPANY.

Last edited:
Shark Tank makes it all look easy.
Duh. It's TV.

As someone who has actually dealt with selling shares in a privately held company, I can tell you that it all takes weeks or months.
Can you then also tell this forum that it IS in fact POSSIBLE to invest in a private company, as you're claiming here to have "actually dealt with [it]"?

Can you correct Althea on his mistake about it not being possible to do (even though you hereby claim to have personally dealt with it)?

I'm not very familiar with that, but as I've mentioned...I had the opposite happen.

I had shares of a company I really liked, that paid a decent dividend. I reinvested said dividends and had plans to hold this until I needed to use the dividend for income.

Suddenly, the parent company chose to buy up all outstanding shares and my little party was over.

Coincidentally, this company leased land to utility/cell companies and pipeline companies. For an investment at a fraction of the cost of the equity in the OP, I could have easily paid my monthly electric bill.
You seriously don't realize how this post of yours is refuting yourself in your recent exchanges with me (and more importantly with your position re: this thread's OP)?

You are correct.

Publicly traded stock is easy to buy or sell, Sock, even for private companies.

This is your issue.

No, it was a direct refutation to a moronic claim of YOURS that YOU made, claiming that it somehow wasn't possible to invest in a private company.

Right, and by doing so, the Sharks are quite literally INVESTING. IN. PRIVATE. COMPANIES. (You're even right here admitting it yourself with your own language) ... That's hook, line, and sinker to your moronic position, Althea. There's a plethora of other applicable examples of investing in a private company, but all I need is one example to show that it CAN be done. Into The Night also had a post a while back describing how it can be done.

How is one supposed to invest in a business that, by definition, can't be invested in? You might as well become a married bachelor while you're at it.....

All I need to show you, in order to falsify your stupid claim, is the existence of one private company that someone else invested in. I've already done that, as have others, and now you look like a moron for doubling down on your own stupidity. That's your issue, not mine.

Edit: For shits and giggles, I'll provide you yet ANOTHER example of how one can invest in a private company.

1) My uncle starts up an HVAC business.
2) My uncle asks me for additional start-up funding in exchange for some equity in his business.
3) I provide him $X in exchange for X% equity in his business.

I've now invested in my uncle's PRIVATE HVAC COMPANY.

AND if your uncle makes it big and begins to publicly issue stock, you can invest even MORE in your uncle's private HVAC company.

That was my point to you, moron. You offered Shark Tank as proof that people can obtain equity in a company that has no desire to take on capital. You've done so much twisting and squirming, you don't even realize what a fool you are.

Now go away. You've been schooled by Walt and myself on this topic.

No amount of changing the topic will make you look reasonable.

You seriously don't realize how this post of yours is refuting yourself in your recent exchanges with me (and more importantly with your position re: this thread's OP)?
As a matter of fact, it doesn't.

But this thread is so far above your pay grade, you can't even see logic anymore.

That was my point to you, moron.
:rofl2: Seriously?!

You're seriously telling me that your whole point was to redefine 'a private company' into 'a company that isn't accepting investments' in order to ultimately make the point that "a company that isn't accepting investments" can't be invested in?! :rofl2: DUHHHHH... Are you now going to also, in all of your "brilliance", make the (blatantly obvious) point that one can't patron a business that doesn't exist? :rofl2:

TOO FUNNY!!! :rofl2:

While some private companies aren't interested in investments, there are plenty of other private companies that ARE interested in investments. Such private companies CAN be invested in. That's MY rebuttal to YOUR stupid point that "people can't invest in private businesses", moron.

You offered Shark Tank as proof that people can obtain equity in a company that has no desire to take on capital.
WRONG. (another bogus position assignment, another attempt to redefine terminology)

I offered Shark Tank as an example of the ability for people to invest in private businesses. I've offered other examples too. You've denied them, doubling down on your stupid position that people can't invest in private businesses. You've since realized just how stupid your statement was, but are too proud to admit it, so now you are attempting to redefine the term "private business" into "private business that doesn't accept investments" in order to "make your point" that private businesses somehow can't accept investments. Anyone with half a brain can see how stupid you're being right now.

You've done so much twisting and squirming, you don't even realize what a fool you are.
Projection. I've quite literally been describing YOUR twisting and squirming to this forum in real time. You, on the other hand, have just been making baseless accusations towards me (via projecting your own issues onto me).

Now go away.
Nope. I'm not going anywhere. I am telling the truth, thus I am your worst nightmare.

You've been schooled by Walt and myself on this topic.
Continued projection.

No amount of changing the topic will make you look reasonable.
Continued projection.

Last edited:
:rofl2: Seriously?!

You're seriously telling me that your whole point was to redefine 'a private company' into 'a company that isn't accepting investments' in order to ultimately make the point that "a company that isn't accepting investments" can't be invested in?! :rofl2: DUHHHHH... Are you now going to also, in all of your "brilliance", make the (blatantly obvious) point that one can't patron a business that doesn't exist? :rofl2:

TOO FUNNY!!! :rofl2:

While some private companies aren't interested in investments, there are plenty of other private companies that ARE interested in investments. Such private companies CAN be invested in. That's MY rebuttal to YOUR stupid point that "people can't invest in private businesses", moron.

WRONG. (another bogus position assignment, another attempt to redefine terminology)

I offered Shark Tank as an example of the ability for people to invest in private businesses. I've offered other examples too. You've denied them, doubling down on your stupid position that people can't invest in private businesses. You've since realized just how stupid your statement was, but are too proud to admit it, so now you are attempting to redefine the term "private business" into "private business that doesn't accept investments" in order to "make your point" that private businesses somehow can't accept investments. Anyone with half a brain can see how stupid you're being right now.

Projection. I've quite literally been describing YOUR twisting and squirming to this forum in real time. You, on the other hand, have just been making baseless accusations towards me (via projecting your own issues onto me).

Nope. I'm not going anywhere. I am telling the truth, thus I am your worst nightmare.

Continued projection.

Continued projection.
Save the keystrokes. I don't read this nonsense. You're wrong. I'm right.

Again.

Stop trying so hard.

Back