A smarter way to get 'free' electricity

Now you're conveniently ignoring the dividends.
I never ignored the dividends. How do you think I know you need a $50k prepayment to get $200/month? You can get a better return simply by putting that money into a CD,T-bill, or money market account.

But you don't really understand how this works.

I apparently know more about it than you do.
You obviously know nothing, because you stubbornly insist upon embarrassing yourself.

No it isn't. There are a plethora of ways to get $200/mo in passive income. You're continuing to try to plow your way past the point of this thread to pick out one little small thing so that you can make a mountain out of a mole hill.
LOL. 'One small thing'? The OP was very specific about how to get 'free electricity'.
The point of this thread was to suggest "a smarter way" to get "free" electricity. The OP suggested investing money into a local utility company instead of effectively prepaying for electricity via rooftop solar panels. IOW, he suggested investing your money instead of using it to prepay for your electricity. And yes, the former is MUCH smarter than the latter.
You haven't read the OP, or else you wouldn't be so confused.

That's all that this thread is about. Anything beyond that, such as honing in on Pinnacle West specifically in order to make a mountain out of a mole hill is nothing more than a distraction from the overarching point of this thread, which is that investing one's money (and using the investment income to offset the cost of electricity) is smarter than buying rooftop solar panels to effectively prepay for one's electricity usage.
The OP suggested this equity. Not me. It's a stupid idea. And a terrible investment.

Nope. It's already up $1.50 today.
LOL. And down almost $1 from the start of this thread.

Even more recently speaking, it's currently up 6.5% from 1 month ago. Yup, definitely a "failing company"... all because you cherry picked a particular point in time to reference the current stock price against... :rofl2:
Real investment analysts suggest avoiding this stock.

I've already explained why the most "moronic" things within this thread are YOUR posts.
You can't even explain investing advice, let alone 'things' in this thread that you don't even understand.

Whoops... I forgot that investments in private companies somehow AREN'T investments in private companies... silly me! :rofl2:
Whoops. You haven't shown us a video of a Shark begging someone to sell equity in their private company.

Now you're adding in unnecessary requirements in order to backpedal from your stupid belief that it's not possible to invest in a private company.
It's impossible to invest in a company that doesn't want your investment. I'm not sure why you simply cannot understand that?

Besides admitting within your repeated bogus position assignment that it in fact IS possible to invest in private companies (re: selling equity), you seem to think that "angel investing" doesn't exist. You seem to think that "venture capital" doesn't exist even though you claim to religiously watch a TV show about it.
A distraction from the fact that you are wrong. Shark Tank has absolutely nothing to do with forcing someone to sell you equity if they don't need your investment.

Or the infrastructure necessary to deliver electricity. Most power companies lease land for utility poles, etc.

I forget the name of the company now, but I owned a few hundred shares of a very profitable company that owned the land that utility companies/cell companies/oil companies used for movement of product.

Paid a nice dividend and I was thrilled until the parent company decided to buy out all investors.

There are a lot of reasonably good, and easy investments out there. They are not going to double your money in a week, but you will make a nice return with almost no chance of losing everything.

According to your link...

According to South Texas Solar Systems, hail damage to solar panels “can lead to a decrease in efficiency as well as an increased risk of fire.”

d99454ecd37d214296091b98de896aef.gif

If you have investments in the company making the electricity and those investments pay the same amount as your electric bill, then yes, the electricity is free.

Let's say the electric utility pays 1% dividends, and you pay $5,000 a year for electricity. Then if you invest $500,000 in the electric utility, your dividends would before taxes pay for your electricity... But there are two obvious problems with that. Because the dividends are income, you have to pay taxes on it, so will be losing money. Also, you could buy very safe bonds and get $25k returns on that money. That would pay your electricity, your taxes, and give you a nice profit.

You pay, say, $200 in a month. The company gives you $200 in dividends on your investment in them. The net end result is you are getting your electricity for free. Maybe you should think about taking 6th grade arithmetic again two or three times.

You definitely have a 6th grader understanding of accounting. The IRS considers dividends to be income, so you have to pay taxes on it. I doubt you would be able to get your electricity considered a business expense on investments into a electric utility.

It is probably best to try to maximize your income, not "pair" your income to expenses. If you make $10k a month, from any income stream, you can easily pay $200 a month for electricity.

Clearly you haven't heard of 'equity'.
Clearly you've never seen the TV show 'Shark Tank'.

Equity in a corporation means for the most part means shares. You are buying a share of the corporation, and the certificates of these shares are called shares.

One can buy and sell shares in a privately held company, but it is difficult. If there are too many owners, it has to be publicly traded, so the number of owners is limited. And because there is not automatic price discovery, there must be lengthy negotiations before a sale. The Shark Tank makes it look easy, but the negotiations usually last for weeks if not months.

In short, while ONE can buy shares in a privately held company, YOU cannot.

Here, you're cherry picking a time frame that results in a loss.

Gardner cherry picked the time frame, and he did a terrible job of cherry picking.

The claim was that holding electric utility stocks is a hedge against higher electric rates. That somehow the stocks would go up with expenses. The reality is that in the last five years, inputs into making electricity have gone up, and stock prices have fallen.

No, they don't. You are hallucinating again.

The dipshit is wrong again.

Solar panels increase the appraisal value of a house by 4.1% on average, according to a study conducted by Zillow. These values vary based on your location and the strength of your local solar market.

Do Solar Panels Increase Home Value? (2024 Guide)
Buyers were willing to pay an average of 4.1% — or $9,274 — more for homes with solar panels than for comparable homes. Averages were higher in some markets, such as New York, where solar-powered homes sold for 5.4% more, adding an extra $23,989 to the sale price. In the largest solar home study to date, the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) found that buyers were willing to pay $15,000 or more for solar-powered homes.

Maybe an ignorant shithead like you would not pay more for a home equipped with solar power but the market says differently for the intelligent buyer.

Equity in a corporation means for the most part means shares. You are buying a share of the corporation, and the certificates of these shares are called shares.

One can buy and sell shares in a privately held company, but it is difficult. If there are too many owners, it has to be publicly traded, so the number of owners is limited. And because there is not automatic price discovery, there must be lengthy negotiations before a sale. The Shark Tank makes it look easy, but the negotiations usually last for weeks if not months.

In short, while ONE can buy shares in a privately held company, YOU cannot.
In short, investing in a private company CAN be done. Thank you for agreeing with me and disagreeing with Althea.

In short, investing in a private company CAN be done. Thank you for agreeing with me and disagreeing with Althea.

Technically, Althea said YOU cannot invest in a privately held utility, which is correct. There is no way any reasonably sized privately held company would even consider having you as an investor.

Technically, Althea said YOU cannot invest in a privately held utility, which is correct. There is no way any reasonably sized privately held company would even consider having you as an investor.
Who says I can't? In any event, it doesn't matter whether it's me or anyone else. It CAN be done. That's the point. Althea acted as if it couldn't be done.

Back