A smarter way to get 'free' electricity

Another stupid TA thread.
Another stupid Nordbutt response.

If you pay for electricity with money you make on investments, it is not free.
Under such a scenario, essentially it is.

The point of TA's post was to explain how buying stock in a local utility company could end up offsetting the cost of electricity (via value of stock and dividends). It also explains how buying stock in a local utility company is ACTUALLY an investment as opposed to buying rooftop solar panels which is actually an expense (essentially a pre-paid expense).

You could use that money for something else.
Of course he could, but using it as an investment for local utility company stock (to generate dividends and stock value that offsets the cost of electricity from that company) makes more sense than using it as an expense for rooftop solar panels.

You are paying for electricity, therefore it is absolutely not free. That was illogical. But typical for Trumpys.
Bastardizing his position does not make it illogical. He's not saying that the electricity itself is free (but rather that it "nets" as being free via the investment income from the stocks/dividends in the utility company). You already know this but wish to be dishonest anyway.

Last edited:
You obviously have no concept of what a thought experiment is. Another cue that you are a moron.
LMFAO

So now it's a thought experiment? I already schooled you on the flaw in your experiment, but you continue to argue a ridiculous point.

So are you finished with your 'experiment'? Because prepaying $50k for electricity in order to earn $200/month sounds like the worst investment advice I've ever heard.

The point of TA's post was to explain how buying stock in a local utility company could end up offsetting the cost of electricity (via value of stock and dividends). It also explains how buying stock in a local utility company is ACTUALLY an investment as opposed to buying rooftop solar panels which is actually an expense (essentially a pre-paid expense).

Of course he could, but using it as an investment for local utility company stock (to generate dividends and stock value that offsets the cost of electricity from that company) makes more sense than using it as an expense for rooftop solar panels.

Great. Care to take a crack at explaining how prepaying $50k for electricity actually makes money?

LMFAO

So now it's a thought experiment? I already schooled you on the flaw in your experiment, but you continue to argue a ridiculous point.

So are you finished with your 'experiment'? Because prepaying $50k for electricity in order to earn $200/month sounds like the worst investment advice I've ever heard.
There is no "pre-payment for electricity" in this scenario. An investment in a local utility company is not a pre-payment.

Last edited:
Great. Care to take a crack at explaining how prepaying $50k for electricity actually makes money?
Thanks for admitting that one doesn't make any money on rooftop solar panels.

There is no "prepaying $50k for electricity" under this stock scenario. An investment (of $50k or otherwise) is not a prepaid expense.

Maybe you should just "listen to the experts" on this one?? (I'm an expert on this subject matter btw).

LMFAO

It is not 'prepaying' for electricity to invest in an electric company, Sock.

There is no "pre-payment for electricity" in this scenario. An investment in a local utility company is not a pre-payment.
Catch up with the thread, and then enlighten us how prepaying $50k for electricity is a winning strategy.

Clearly you haven't heard of 'equity'.
Clearly you've never seen the TV show 'Shark Tank'.
I've been watching since season 1.

This isn't that, no matter how hard you try to make sense of the idiotic claim in the OP

Thanks for admitting that one doesn't make any money on rooftop solar panels.

There is no "prepaying $50k for electricity" under this stock scenario. An investment (of $50k or otherwise) is not a prepaid expense.

Maybe you should just "listen to the experts" on this one?? (I'm an expert on this subject matter btw).
You're not an expert on investing if you think investing $50k in order to realize a gain of $200/month is a good idea if the goal is 'free electricity'.

Why would I spend that much/share for a 4.8% yield? I can do better on the 7 year bonds I hold right now. Short term t bills are still paying more than that.

Some expert.

Catch up with the thread, and then enlighten us how prepaying $50k for electricity is a winning strategy.
Continued support for why rooftop solar panels are "[not] a winning strategy", although you'd mistakenly claim that they are.

Continued attempt to redefine '$50k investment' as "$50k prepayment". This thread is about an investment, which is NOT a prepayment.

Continued failure of Accounting 101.

There was no question
Ignoring the existence of a question doesn't make it go away.

In fact, you even immediately responded to the question with a smart ass evasive response before now pretending that there wasn't a question. Remember?

I'll remind you of the question again:

"So, how long do the government bribes continue, and when they end, what happens?"

Last edited:
I've been watching since season 1.
... and after the many seasons of Shark Tank that you've religiously watched, you STILL don't properly comprehend what is happening on that show? :rofl2:

This isn't that,
Oh, of course! OF COURSE investing in a private company is somehow NOT investing in a private company. :rofl2:

no matter how hard you try to make sense of the idiotic claim in the OP
There was nothing idiotic about it. He suggested investing one's money to "get free electricity" (to get returns on said investment which offsets the cost of electricity) instead of pre-paying for 20 years of electricity via rooftop solar panels. You then tried to make fun of him, claiming that he couldn't invest in APS because APS was a private company. He then schooled you again by providing you with the publicly traded holding company of APS (Pinnacle West), and now I'm schooling you re: the ability to invest in private companies and re: what prepaid expenses are vs what investments are.

Then, once you get schooled on any specific point, you divert away from it and try again with some other point, ad infinitum.

You only further embarrass yourself with every post that you make, but you can't help yourself.

Last edited:
Back