American exceptionalism....

Pull your ego out of your arse.

Britain turned the nazi war machine round in the battle of Britain, halted them in their tracks and sent them reeling into the Russian winter. As we did in North Africa at el alamein.

As for the value of material goods, they did put a price on it. An extortionate price. Whilst Britain was fighting the evils of Nazi Germany alone, and the US was sitting on the fence selling to the nazis as well, the US made a huge profit out of our struggle.

You shouldn't learn your history from 'band of brothers'.

Its your history that is myopic....

There is no doubt about Germany losing the this particular battle...you just don't understand the reason why....and the why is that their resources were being spent fighting other battles,....battles against the US and numerous other allies throughout Europe......and in spite of those battles, the Brits were barely holding on ..... if not for those circumstances, the B of B may well had a different outcome and DDay nothing but a dream.
So you can thank others for the liberation of Europe from the Nazis....

I did hear that war debt to US was 'almost paid' back in 2006....almost.

Last edited:
There is no doubt about Germany losing the this particular battle...you just don't understand the reason why....and the why is that their resources were being spent fighting other battles,....battles against the US and numerous other allies throughout Europe......and in spite of those battles, the Brits were barely holding on

Ermmm. Your history is all over the place.

The US wasn't even involved in WWII when the Battle of Britain occurred, at the time they had conquered mainland Europe and were at peace with Russia.

Nazi Germany threw all its resources at cracking us, and were beaten back.

As for the debt, yeah, classy. Making a massive profit over the fight for the world's future. You should be proud.

Our nation is unique, or at least, the first of its kind.

On the contrary Dixie, America is a mish-mash of concepts already existing at the time of its founding.

Its concepts of individual freedom, capitalism and democracy came from Great Britain, who in turn developed them from earlier civilisations.

Even the names of its institutions are not original.

America is a great nation, however it isn't exceptional. In fact, it is yet to achieve a position of the greatest nations in history. It doesn't have the global supremacy that Helenistic Greece, Rome or Great Britain had, as America is yet to go head to head in a knockout war with its major competitors (Russia, China).

Its industrial achievements fade into comparison with the global upgrading created by Rome and Britain, and its academic acheivements fade in comparison to that of ancient Greece / europe.

America is a great nation, but it doesn't justify exceptionalism.

This is where you are wrong, America is unique, it does indeed take ideas from a variety of civilizations before, but our founders constructed a foundation which lays out specific powers of government, and deems the rest of the power to the people and states. They do so by stating that our rights come from our Creator, not from man. You asked what made us believe we were 'exceptional' and that is it! Although our achievements and military accomplishments have been unsurpassed, that is not what makes us 'exceptional' or any way to measure our 'exceptionalism'. As I said, it is all rooted in the concept that ALL men are created equal and endowed with their freedoms by that Creator.

There is no doubt about Germany losing the this particular battle...you just don't understand the reason why....and the why is that their resources were being spent fighting other battles,....battles against the US and numerous other allies throughout Europe......and in spite of those battles, the Brits were barely holding on

Ermmm. Your history is all over the place.

The US wasn't even involved in WWII when the Battle of Britain occurred, at the time they had conquered mainland Europe and were at peace with Russia.

Nazi Germany threw all its resources at cracking us, and were beaten back.

As for the debt, yeah, classy. Making a massive profit over the fight for the world's future. You should be proud.

Yes, you won a battle, thats hardly winning the war....the war raged on for 5 more years. My post was poorly worded and gave a false impression about US involvement in 1940....sorry about that....

The point remains, winning a battle is not winning the war, and winning the war was far beyond the capacity of the Brits in the 40's....
but if it makes you feel better, less beholdin' to the US, have a ball....don't let facts skew your history.

Guilt and pscychological sabotage is the only way to destroy the truly strong.

AnyOldIron = giant handwringing pussy.

Who is handwringing? Its you that is feeling abused. Maybe I'm a giant dick and balls, and it is you that is the pussy! :good4u:

You deserve to be guilty about fleecing us when we were fighting alone against the Nazis!

pscychological sabotage? Sounds fun! But not me.

I am only here to debate. If you give me all this about you saving us, what do you expect me to do?

Yes, you won a battle, thats hardly winning the war....the war raged on for 5 more years. My post was poorly worded and gave a false impression about US involvement in 1940....sorry about that....

Its ok.

The point remains, winning a battle is not winning the war, and winning the war was far beyond the capacity of the Brits in the 40's....

To launch an invasion of Europe we would have had to have pulled all our resources from across the Empire. I would agree with that. Britain never has held a large home based Army.

But that would have left places like Burma, India and Australia open to Japanese invasion making the American efforts in the Pacific much harder.

You don't have to beholden to us though. WWII was a joint enterprise. We were allies.

Last edited:
Who is handwringing? Its you that is feeling abused. Maybe I'm a giant dick and balls, and it is you that is the pussy! :good4u:

You deserve to be guilty about fleecing us when we were fighting alone against the Nazis!

pscychological sabotage? Sounds fun! But not me.

I am only here to debate. If you give me all this about you saving us, what do you expect me to do?

You're a handwringing whiner. We did save you.

:D Is that the best you have got?

This argument will never be won. We will never know what would have happened had the Americans not come to support the Brits because they did.

We can speculate until the cows come home and arm chair general it to death. It won't answer the question and I would think your chest(s) would be battered and bruised with all the beatings each side has inflicted on themselves.

Aye Carumba!

Really, if you listen to US media and Americans you would think they won WWII single-handedly!

One of the more ignorant posters on here, I forget who now, insisted that the British played little or no part in the Pacific in WW2. This despite the fighting in Burma and India as well as the Pacific Fleet. The fleet included 17 aircraft carriers (with 300 aircraft), four battleships, 10 cruisers, 40 destroyers, 18 sloops, 13 frigates, 35 minesweepers, other kinds of fighting ships, and many support vessels.

Back