American Idiots

When it is used to benefit less qualified individuals. Whether it be for a position in college, work, etc...

We would not ask the NFL or NBA to hire athletes based on racial quotas... we expect them to hire the best qualified athletes. Can you imagine the NBA if we forced them to hire 70% white guys because 70% of men in the US are white?

So why would we expect companies, colleges to do so? We want them to take the best and provide for the best qualified.

If qualifications are an issue (which I beleive they are) then we need to focus our attention on the areas that will improve the qualifications. To me, this needs to start with improving the education within the inner cities. (not just for minorities, but for all in the inner cities)

We need to open our educational system up for review and fix what is broken rather than trying to cover it up.

I agree, our educational system needs to be fixed from the ground up. Colleges are the ones mostly effected by AA because they need to accept a certain number of people based on race. The reason they need to do this is so that a certain race doesn't continue being oppressed by our past. When you can't get a good education, you aren't going to be able to get the better jobs. You won't be able to afford sending your children through to a good college either. AA was meant to prevent further oppression, though it's design indicates that in the future, when we are on on an equal playing field, we'll be discriminated against.

I agree, our educational system needs to be fixed from the ground up. Colleges are the ones mostly effected by AA because they need to accept a certain number of people based on race. The reason they need to do this is so that a certain race doesn't continue being oppressed by our past. When you can't get a good education, you aren't going to be able to get the better jobs. You won't be able to afford sending your children through to a good college either. AA was meant to prevent further oppression, though it's design indicates that in the future, when we are on on an equal playing field, we'll be discriminated against.

Which is why we need to focus on education prior to college. We need to ensure that they are equally qualified going into the college application process. Yet that is not the area we focus on. Instead we continue to target college entrance or workplace numbers. We cannot allow the poor standards in the inner cities to continue. It is time to clean house and work alongside the parents to promote better education.

As for affordability, millions of dollars of scholarship monies go unused every year because people do not apply for them. I would suggest anyone looking for college funding go to ....

http://www.scholarships.com/

WHat about those who still want to hire people based on race and gender? According to what you've said here, isn't racial and gender discrimination wrong?

GET OFF MY FUCKING THREAD AND START YOUR OWN YOU FUCKING OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE FREAK

THIS IS ABOUT RACISM AGAINST BLACKS AND WOMEN, GO WHINE ABOUT WHITE MEN SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Look, I have been against AA. I do not agree however that it's intentions are reverse discrimination. It's intentions are to further the oppressed. There are parts of the policy I agree with, and we should prevent discriminatory hiring practices. On the flip side, the things I disagree with really haven't effected us negatively, so that is why I call it a non-issue.

Maybe not you, but others have been effected negatively. AA FUNCTIONS BY being racially and genderly discriminatory. The ends don't justify the means. It is an issue, despite your detachment from reality.

Back