Any reloaders or gun guys or gals here ?

6.5 Creedmoor is a excellent caliber. whats nice is its a great mid range caliber. Great ballistics for longer range , enough lbs force with the 130 140 grain bullet to be useful on bigger game such as elk with a god placed shot and its available in a lot of different actions including the ar 15.

I did reload .45 acp at one time but got away from the 1911 which I do love
Yeah he is setting up a long rifle range on our family farm. He loves the Creedmoor. He has bought a new stock for the gun is bedding it in .

My brother just ordered the equipment and supplies to reload his 6.5 Creedmoor and his 45cal. Most of it has already arrived.

What did he order? What press? What brand dies? Which loading manual does he use? What brand and weight bullets?
Make sure he doesn't exceed the pressure limits for the gun. Start with lower charges and work his way up and record
accuracy results. The max loads are usually NOT the most accurate, keep that in mind, not to mention they will burn
out the barrel (actually the lands will go first). Be safe and careful. Check tolerances often, especially charge weights
and seating depths if long range accuracy is a serious concern.
Interesting note is that the 6.5 Creedmoor uses a 6.7 mm. (,264) dia. bullet and the case length (short throw action)
is similar to the .243. As stated, the 6.5 is a good "mid sized" rifle cartridge. The .45? It has been time proven. Nuff said.

I gave my Brother an old Mosin–Nagant and he set about making small changes to it that improved its accuracy. He even added a nice scope to it. No small task because of the bolt. Anyway a friend came by with his high dollar 306 and high dollar scope. They got into a shooting contest. My brother won. His friend was shocked.

What did he order? What press? What brand dies? Which loading manual does he use? What brand and weight bullets?
Make sure he doesn't exceed the pressure limits for the gun. Start with lower charges and work his way up and record
accuracy results. The max loads are usually NOT the most accurate, keep that in mind, not to mention they will burn
out the barrel (actually the lands will go first). Be safe and careful. Check tolerances often, especially charge weights
Interesting note is that the 6.5 Creedmoor uses a 6.7 mm. (,264) dia. bullet and the case length (short throw action)
is similar to the .243. As stated, the 6.5 is a good "mid sized" rifle cartridge. The .45? It has been time proven. Nuff said.
I'll have to ask. All I know is that it is a turret press.

I'll have to ask. All I know is that it is a turret press.

a turret press is fine for general shooting , great for pistol, rounds I have a lee turret press that I can honestly say has loaded 40,000 rounds of 9 mm alone in the last few years, its cheap works well and easly maintained and repair .

I hae a total of 4 differnt presses , one is a portable press . the others are fixed on the bench.
All my rifle rounds are loaded on a lee single stage press. depending on use I use a Hornady power measure for general shooting but for accuracy loads and hunting rounds I measure each power load to within .01 of a grain.

I have lee ,dillion, hornady, lyman etc I use what ever works.

I learned to reload on my own, by watching vids and reading books and asking questions on line.

I talked to my brother today. He said his press is a Lee. He is still waiting for the delivery of his handgun powder. He wants to start loading 45 rounds first then when he has got that down he wants to move to the Creedmoor rounds. He says he has a manual on reloading and intends on loading everything by the book.

I have a couple of black powder pistols that I shoot a few times a year and I have a Hawken .50 cal I shoot too. But I may buy my brother some 9mm dies and try my hand at loading some 9mm. My Pistols are a Walker Colt and a Colt Baby Dragoon. All reproductions of course.

Last edited:
I talked to my brother today. He said his press is a Lee. He is still waiting for the delivery of his handgun powder. He wants to start loading 45 rounds first then when he has got that down he wants to move to the Creedmoor rounds. He says he has a manual on reloading and intends on loading everything by the book.

I have a couple of black powder pistols that I shoot a few times a year and I have a Hawken .50 cal I shoot too. But I may buy my brother some 9mm dies and try my hand at loading some 9mm. My Pistols are a Walker Colt and a Colt Baby Dragoon. All reproductions of course.

good luck , yea a walker colt and a baby dragoon original would be sweet but o so expensive.
I did shoot black powder at one time it was fun , I had a single reproduction pistol and a kentucky flint lock in .45

good luck , yea a walker colt and a baby dragoon original would be sweet but o so expensive.
I did shoot black powder at one time it was fun , I had a single reproduction pistol and a kentucky flint lock in .45
Talking about black powder makes me want to shoot my .50 cal Hawkins. I going to our farm in East Texas the end of the month. I'm going to take my Hawkins with me. I got it for a wall hanger but I very rarely shoot it. I saw an original Walker for sale for 150K but it looked really rough. One of my great grandfather's and his son were both Texas Rangers and fought at San Jacinto. They both ended up carrying Walkers later on.. When I found that out I bought my Walker for a wall hanger and a shooter.

Last edited:

That 6.5 casing is sooo necked. Eh.

Back