Anyone into photography?

Like it, yes. Knowledgeable and technically adept about it, no.
oPxnCz4.jpg

I mostly use my phone out hiking & picts are ok, but I have been wanting to get more into micro/macro which it is not very good @..

Before making a bigger investment I was thinking of getting a micro/macro lens for my phone camera about a x15 & maybe a X20 which are not expensive..

Anyone dabbed in any of that??Suggestions??

I mostly use my phone out hiking & picts are ok, but I have been wanting to get more into micro/macro which it is not very good @..

Before making a bigger investment I was thinking of getting a micro/macro lens for my phone camera about a x15 & maybe a X20 which are not expensive..

Anyone dabbed in any of that??Suggestions??

I do some photography, particularly night photography. Most of my knowledge I gleaned from Mr. Owl, who is the expert here.

What are you wanting to photograph specifically? I'm not sure that those lenses designed for digital cell cameras are all that good but don't really know much about them. My phone cam is a 15 megapixel and takes excellent distant photos; close-up though, not so much.

I do some photography, particularly night photography. Most of my knowledge I gleaned from Mr. Owl, who is the expert here.

What are you wanting to photograph specifically? I'm not sure that those lenses designed for digital cell cameras are all that good but don't really know much about them. My phone cam is a 15 megapixel and takes excellent distant photos; close-up though, not so much.

Yes, my phone takes great picts as well but close up it can't focus well..

Say you want to take pict of a flower, then the center section, then some of the individual aspects of the center...

Example: I can't get any closer than these..
20190526-191449.jpg
20190526-191609.jpg

Say you want to take pict of a flower, then the center section, then some of the individual aspects of the center...
Example: I can't get any closer than these.

It's the nature of the lens; they're not designed to be zoomed-in like that. You may want to consider a regular digital camera and a macro lens. 50mm would be a good place to start. Mr. Owl said 100mm is also good, and allows you to not be as close to your subject as with the 50mm.

The other thing I don't like about my cell cam is that its zoom is crappy even for distance photos. I've tried to get pics of owls and other birds up in trees using the zoom. Like with your flowers you can tell there is something there but it's fuzzy and indistinct.

The other thing I don't like about my cell cam is that its zoom is crappy even for distance photos. I've tried to get pics of owls and other birds up in trees using the zoom. Like with your flowers you can tell there is something there but it's fuzzy and indistinct.

Usually you are just better off not using it & then cropping the pict for a better quality/sharper focus on the part of your image you wish to focus on..

Usually you are just better off not using it & then cropping the pict for a better quality/sharper focus on the part of your image you wish to focus on..

Yes, that's pretty much what I do as well. I have a fairly good photo editing proggie but even so there's no way to really fix poor focus. Wish I knew how to share Imgur photo albums here because I could give you a great illustration of the difference the right lens makes. The album is aurora photos I've taken, before and after I got the right lens. They're all beautiful, but you can truly see the difference. Instead I'll just post a before n after for you.

Before the right lens:

8hVReTS.jpg

After the right lens:

6jsxaJy.jpg

Can you see how the stars are oblong and distorted in #1, and the aurora is blurry? In #2 the stars are crisp and round, and the aurora is better define. #2 still isn't optimal, but I'm working on it!

Example: I can't get any closer than these..
20190526-191449.jpg
20190526-191609.jpg
You can use editing software and crop the pic until you get the desired result. I don't know how good lenses are for phones. It would be a bit of an investment to get quality glass with a DSLR, but what the hell? It's a hobby.

I was weeding the flower bed a couple of years ago in the morning. Saw these two on the seed pod from my cleome.

Went into the house and got the camera with the macro. They weren't going anywhere, so I had plenty of time!

DSC_0010.jpg

Can you see how the stars are oblong and distorted in #1, and the aurora is blurry? In #2 the stars are crisp and round, and the aurora is better define. #2 still isn't optimal, but I'm working on it!
How are you guys posting such large pix? When I use the 'insert image' button above, I get these thumbnails.

Back