Anyone into photography?

Now that is a trophy shot!!!
I've been feeding eagles for decades. I still get a rush when they come around. Fool that I am, I got so excited that I forgot I spent almost $1000 on a camera body alone. If I just held my finger on the shutter release, I could have gotten the whole series of shots, right up until he/she grabbed the fish.

Duh.

Some days, they come around and taunt me when I'm working. They remind me that I should be fishing

Yep...they can turn the red on and off. Just the males. And....the males are assholes.

Yep Anna's as well..... Every night he is trying to run off the late feeders.. I have two set up so he can't run them all off... He stays mostly on the one closer to his perch so the others get a shot......

They use to be mostly in South Calif but now they are all the way up into Washington & southern BC, & many in the Vancouver burbs..

I've been feeding eagles for decades. I still get a rush when they come around. Fool that I am, I got so excited that I forgot I spent almost $1000 on a camera body alone. If I just held my finger on the shutter release, I could have gotten the whole series of shots, right up until he/she grabbed the fish.

Duh.

Some days, they come around and taunt me when I'm working. They remind me that I should be fishing

Did you use a fisheye lens?? (beautiful shot)

Yea, maybe my best shot w/ my old camera "I forgot" I saw a big hawk caring off a big snake while out kayaking.. I was amazed & though what a great shot, & realized I have my camera in my hand, by the time I raised it up for the shot, he went behind the canopy... EEErrrrrr..

Beautiful capture!!!
All wildlife photography takes patience. I just sat there with the tripod set up. Didn't even look through the viewfinder. Just kept my finger on the shutter release. Nothing beats a sunny day for photography!

Did you use a fisheye lens?? (beautiful shot)

Yea, maybe my best shot w/ my old camera "I forgot" I saw a big hawk caring off a big snake while out kayaking.. I was amazed & though what a great shot, & realized I have my camera in my hand, by the time I raised it up for the shot, he went behind the canopy... EEErrrrrr..
The black edges are from the editing software. Looks cool. I always try to have a camera nearby on my outdoor adventures. 90% of great photographs happens to be luck. Right time, right place, right focus/exposure.

If you try to do a long exposure w/o using a tripod, you'll see some scary stuff. lol

Yep, one of the setting I have is HDR which really needs a tripod to use... I have seen some pretty odd, funny things while using it w/out any way to stabilize it..

Yep...they can turn the red on and off. Just the males. And....the males are assholes.

Yep Anna's as well..... Every night he is trying to run off the late feeders.. I have two set up so he can't run them all off... He stays mostly on the one closer to his perch so the others get a shot......

They use to be mostly in South Calif but now they are all the way up into Washington & southern BC, & many in the Vancouver burbs..

I mostly use my phone out hiking & picts are ok, but I have been wanting to get more into micro/macro which it is not very good @..

Before making a bigger investment I was thinking of getting a micro/macro lens for my phone camera about a x15 & maybe a X20 which are not expensive..

Anyone dabbed in any of that??Suggestions??

I am an amateur photog. Can’t help with macro lenses. Not my thing. Mostly sports and landscapes with some portraits mixed in for me

I am an amateur photog. Can’t help with macro lenses. Not my thing. Mostly sports and landscapes with some portraits mixed in for me
Sports is tough as you have lots of movement & often poor lighting..

I do mostly outdoors, landscapes etc while hiking but the Micro/Macro seems intriguing..

I used to do a lot of action photography, starting in college with my wife's teams. Back then I had a Canon AE-1P SLR shooting 35mm. I still have it, and it still works.

I took a long time off until my my kid's sports, and switched to a Nikon D3100 SLR. This is probably my best work, from a college ski race.

DSC_1857.jpg

You can't tell from those uploads due to the resolution loss, but in all three full resolution they are sharp enough that you can easily count the teeth on the boot buckles, and read the text on the bibs. In #52 you can see the quiet expression on the athlete's face, reading the next turn as he instinctively maneuvers his inside ski out of the snow to maximize grip on the outside ski. Big contrast to the athlete in #54 who's a lot more dynamic in his facial expressions.

Sports is tough as you have lots of movement & often poor lighting..

I do mostly outdoors, landscapes etc while hiking but the Micro/Macro seems intriguing..

Indoor sports can be tough due to the shitty fluorescent lighting. The key is having a fast enough lens and a camera that has great auto white balance. I am a full frame Nikon guy. The D4 has the best auto white balance I have used. Would love to get one. But they are pricey even used. And I don’t shoot enough to justify it

No matter what type of photography you are into, the key is good glass. Bodies change, but good glass lasts forever.

Indoor sports can be tough due to the shitty fluorescent lighting. The key is having a fast enough lens and a camera that has great auto white balance. I am a full frame Nikon guy. The D4 has the best auto white balance I have used. Would love to get one. But they are pricey even used. And I don’t shoot enough to justify it

No matter what type of photography you are into, the key is good glass. Bodies change, but good glass lasts forever.
Yep. You can get away with cheap glass, but only in bright conditions.

Yep. You can get away with cheap glass, but only in bright conditions.

It all depends on the type of photography you want to shoot. Too many people don’t really know before they plunk down money on a bunch of equipment.

While my iPhone is great for taking certain pictures it will never replace my full frame

Back