Anyone into photography?

It all depends on the type of photography you want to shoot. Too many people don’t really know before they plunk down money on a bunch of equipment.

While my iPhone is great for taking certain pictures it will never replace my full frame
Agree. As a kid, I had a modest 35mm, but created perfect pix. Conversely, an expensive camera with no basic knowledge of aperture/ISO/shutter speed, won't yield anything of value.

To my earlier point...in bright conditions, with a small aperture selection, cheap glass will yield results as good as quality glass in low light conditions.

Agree. As a kid, I had a modest 35mm, but created perfect pix. Conversely, an expensive camera with no basic knowledge of aperture/ISO/shutter speed, won't yield anything of value.

To my earlier point...in bright conditions, with a small aperture selection, cheap glass will yield results as good as quality glass in low light conditions.

True but you don’t always have ideal conditions. If people ever ask my advice on what camera to buy I tell them two things

1) Get the camera that fits best in your hands. If you don’t like how it feels you won’t use it

2) Save money on the body and spend on the lens

One of the best lenses I ever bought was a 35 mm 1.8. It taught me more about composure than any other lens and that focusing with my feet wasn’t a bad thing. Telephoto can make people lazy photographers

It all depends on the type of photography you want to shoot. Too many people don’t really know before they plunk down money on a bunch of equipment.

While my iPhone is great for taking certain pictures it will never replace my full frame

Exactly......

Landscape photography is amazing, but I do not discount how compelling the human face and human form are as photographic subjects.
I never understood why someone as talented as Ansel Adams limited himself to landscapes and nature. I claim no special skill in photography, but I liked the character and humanity these Russian women radiated.
GRXs6Go.jpg

Landscape photography is amazing, but I do not discount how compelling the human face and human form are as photographic subjects.
I never understood why someone as talented as Ansel Adams limited himself to landscapes and nature. I claim no special skill in photography, but I liked the character and humanity these Russian women radiated.
GRXs6Go.jpg
And knowing when to shoot B/W. As a kid, I shot mostly B/W, and developed it myself. B/W photography focuses on lighting and shape. It takes much more creativity to 'see' a great B/W pic, than it does to record a beautiful sunset/animal, etc.

True but you don’t always have ideal conditions. If people ever ask my advice on what camera to buy I tell them two things

1) Get the camera that fits best in your hands. If you don’t like how it feels you won’t use it

2) Save money on the body and spend on the lens

One of the best lenses I ever bought was a 35 mm 1.8. It taught me more about composure than any other lens and that focusing with my feet wasn’t a bad thing. Telephoto can make people lazy photographers
Yep. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Telephotos are necessary. I don't believe they make you lazy. Even when shooting sports, you can't always be courtside.

I'd love to be able to walk up to wildlife with a 50mm, and ask them to stand still for me. It just doesn't happen. Same for the eagle in the tree above. I shot that with my Nikon 80-200 f2.8 zoom. I love that lens. Same for these guys below.

And knowing when to shoot B/W. As a kid, I shot mostly B/W, and developed it myself. B/W photography focuses on lighting and shape. It takes much more creativity to 'see' a great B/W pic, than it does to record a beautiful sunset/animal, etc.

Well stated.
I think that black and white, when well done, strips away anything superfluous, strips away anything extraneous, and captures the core essence of the subject matter

Well stated.
I think that black and white, when well done, strips away anything superfluous, strips away anything extraneous, and captures the core essence of the subject matter
Agree 100%. You have no choice. There has to be something there, or you really have nothing. Not that color photography cannot be striking, it just takes more work/talent to compose beautiful B/W pix.

Something different-This is a granite rock which is on the overlook of San Antonio falls up by Arnold, Ca, where countryboy use to live..
59902347-2191411617615414-5281907375681306624-n.jpg

Like your rock photo. My favorite photo places today are New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces. Local sites are Lancaster Amish farms and New Jersey shore.

I've done photography for over forty years now, built a darkroom when chemical developing was only process. Mostly Tri-X with Leica 3F camera, lots of family, vacation, and Philly photos from the late seventies. In the past I have done most processes including platinum and color slides, but primarily black and white film. Last several years digital and converting much of my film and slides into digital. Have given away many photos, sold some and had one in a NY art show recently. Today I still carry a camera everywhere. Use the Canon Pro 1000 printer. I'm not into phone photography, although I have seen some nice work. One day I want to get out my old Leica M my wife bought me and do film again. I saved the film, chemicals and materials to do that. If anyone is interested see site below.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/

Green & wooded, I would have thought it would more desert like there.. This shot is up in the hills/Mts??

Green & wooded, I would have thought it would more desert like there.. This shot is up in the hills/Mts??

The first picture was the high point the 2nd is pretty flat. The unusual amount of rain this year really made the area green. I took the barn picture last December and the other was taken a few months ago. At the time I could hear running water everywhere and some of the trails were flooded.

Back