Are small towns "better" than big cities?

Onceler

It's been said that "they know how to grow 'em" in the small towns, and that America needs a return to "small town values" (a phrase that came up again & again at the GOP convention).

Why isn't that elitist? What is it about small town people or small town values that trumps big city people & their values?

Individual worth stands out and still has value in a small town. Like around here virtually no road rage type of drivers. Word would get out fast if someone started acting like a prick. and their rep would suffer eventually cutting into job opportunities or even their business if they were a business owner.

Pricks can hide in the blur of a big city. do you big city types know who owns the store you buy at ? who is the manager ? do you know the meatcutters in Krogers and feel they are doing a good safe job on your food ?

Now on the other hand if you are a nice guy in a small town it pays off too.

Lorax, it's because people in big cities are elite, b/c they have things like healthcare and teeth.

LOL

No this is an excellent point though, this has really been grating on me. Did everyone see Jon Stewart's segment, when he sent his crack team down to the RNC convention to find out just what "small town values" were? That was so funny.

Individual worth stands out and still has value in a small town. Like around here virtually no road rage type of drivers. Word would get out fast if someone started acting like a prick. and their rep would suffer eventually cutting into job opportunities or even their business if they were a business owner.

Pricks can hide in the blur of a big city. do you big city types know who owns the store you buy at ? who is the manager ? do you know the meatcutters in Krogers and feel they are doing a good safe job on your food ?

Now on the other hand if you are a nice guy in a small town it pays off too.

What does that have to do with values? I am so sick and tired of this. Small town values? "real values" Please, pray go on. "well, family". WTF do we have in cities and suburbia? Man it is such bullshit, and it's smug and it's putting yourself above others, and actually believing, that people who don't live in small towns, aren't decent human beings, don't love their families, etc.

Wow, talk about having to make up reasons to feel good about yourself.

What does that have to do with values? I am so sick and tired of this. Small town values? "real values" Please, pray go on. "well, family". WTF do we have in cities and suburbia? Man it is such bullshit, and it's smug and it's putting yourself above others, and actually believing, that people who don't live in small towns, aren't decent human beings, don't love their families, etc.

Wow, talk about having to make up reasons to feel good about yourself.

aww now don't go getting all defensive on me city gal. Some good people live in big cities too. who else would the vultures have to take advantage of ?

LOL

No this is an excellent point though, this has really been grating on me. Did everyone see Jon Stewart's segment, when he sent his crack team down to the RNC convention to find out just what "small town values" were? That was so funny.

do you have a link to this id really love to see it.

aww now don't go getting all defensive on me city gal. Some good people live in big cities too. who else would the vultures have to take advantage of ?

It's not about being defensive, it's about the fact that these idiots are winning elections on "the big city elitists look down on you" when once again, it's all con projection. They look down on us as something not even quite human! but that's ok.

It's really grating on me, I've had it up to here with it.

Palin exemplifies small town values. so does mccain. mccain cheated on his wife, palin has guns and her daughter is knocked up she kills things with her gun. and she prayed to god for a pipeline.

McCain also has a wife who was addicted to pain pills.

thats some good small town values right there.

people in big cities are also elite b/c they have good paying jobs, educations, and nice cars. we don't drive rustbucket trucks.

Thwe cons are using people. It is what they do best. Back to that family values, personal responsibility, etc after 8 years of bush. Now that is unmitigated gall. and thos people that buy it be they in small or large cities are downright stupid.

I have never claimed that people in the country are any smarter than those in the cities. Or better people. the bad ones can just hide better in the big cities. Individuals still count in the rural life as they do not get lost in the mega blur of big cities.

I think Melloncamp sums up (for him at least) what people like about small towns.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDkAG3R0h8"]YouTube - John Mellencamp - Small Town[/nomedia]

I know the name of every boy (so far only boys) killed in Iraq in my county...Can people in MY or Miami say the same ? Or did their sacrifice get lost in the blur ?

Palin exemplifies small town values. so does mccain. mccain cheated on his wife, palin has guns and her daughter is knocked up she kills things with her gun. and she prayed to god for a pipeline.

McCain also has a wife who was addicted to pain pills.

thats some good small town values right there.

people in big cities are also elite b/c they have good paying jobs, educations, and nice cars. we don't drive rustbucket trucks.

enfield is about as small town as they come you rich CT elitist.

Back