At What Point?

When I use the word "GOD or gods" here, I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF SUCH AN ENTITY OR ENTITIES ACTUALLY EXIST.
As pointed out to the Biblical literalists, “God” could have imprinted the Bible on our brains but chose not to do so.

There have been various theories on why that it ranging from creating souls to entertainment. My personal theory is that all life is little pieces of God ranging in very small pieces to very large and/or very intelligent. Upon mortal death, those little pieces reunite with God.

Once life starts then, according to the Red Queen Hypothesis, it’s a race to become the most intelligent. Human beings are the most intelligent species on the planet because we killed off all the competition before returning to killing off our own species. It’s one of our best talents. :)

the hypothesis has since become much more general, providing an evolutionary explanation for numerous characters (e.g., sex, mating systems, pathogenvirulence, maintenance of genetic diversity), and coevolutionary arms races in general. The conceptual basis of the Red Queen hypothesis is that species (or populations) must continually evolve new adaptations in response to evolutionary changes in other organisms to avoid extinction.

I'll start by saying that although I'm not a Christian, I'm also not an atheist.

I've always wondered what it is about us humans that sparks most of us to believe in a creator or god(s), in some being(s) responsible for the existence of both us and of the Universe. Even if we don't believe in a soul or an afterlife of some sort, still the suspicion persists that all of this couldn't have just happened. Why?
While it’s possible we’re all just God’s doll house, I strongly doubt a superintelligence is that petty. His fans on Earth? Yes they can be that petty, but not the super intelligent entity itself.

The most logical answer is growth, more intelligence.

All he had to say was something like “If was God that saved me” and the story would grow from there.

This is one reason why I like Matthew so much over the other Gospels; because it’s mainly Jesus quotes. John puts the most religious spin on it which fits since it was written last. Mark was written first, then Matthew and Luke.

I feel like there are little kernels of truth in the stories of the NT, obviously enhanced by embellishment, but ultimately understood either rationally or by metaphor.

The fact that militant atheists keep complaining that there are inconsistencies and contradictions in the gospels actually just ends up constituting proof there wasn't a coordinated conspiracy to fabricate a hoax. Otherwise they would have gotten their stories straight.

I'll start by saying that although I'm not a Christian, I'm also not an atheist.

I've always wondered what it is about us humans that sparks most of us to believe in a creator or god(s), in some being(s) responsible for the existence of both us and of the Universe. Even if we don't believe in a soul or an afterlife of some sort, still the suspicion persists that all of this couldn't have just happened. Why?
Maybe we aren't meant to understand, in the same way a squirrel is not meant to understand the Pythagorean theorem.

We are just advanced chimpanzees, and I see no reason to believe we have the cognitive powers to become omniscient and grasp everything about physical and transcendental reality.

As pointed out to the Biblical literalists, “God” could have imprinted the Bible on our brains but chose not to do so.

There have been various theories on why that it ranging from creating souls to entertainment. My personal theory is that all life is little pieces of God ranging in very small pieces to very large and/or very intelligent. Upon mortal death, those little pieces reunite with God.

Once life starts then, according to the Red Queen Hypothesis, it’s a race to become the most intelligent. Human beings are the most intelligent species on the planet because we killed off all the competition before returning to killing off our own species. It’s one of our best talents. :)

the hypothesis has since become much more general, providing an evolutionary explanation for numerous characters (e.g., sex, mating systems, pathogenvirulence, maintenance of genetic diversity), and coevolutionary arms races in general. The conceptual basis of the Red Queen hypothesis is that species (or populations) must continually evolve new adaptations in response to evolutionary changes in other organisms to avoid extinction.
I understand what you are saying...and agree about the nature of humans. I suspect that we would never have become the dominant species on the planet without having the traits you mentioned...and about which we both find contemptible. My guess is that any animal that eventually became the dominant species would have had similar traits. So...it kind of goes with the territory.

In any case, I just prefer not to make guesses about the true nature of the Reality of existesnce...especially about whether or not there is at least one GOD invoved.

I understand what you are saying...and agree about the nature of humans. I suspect that we would never have become the dominant species on the planet without having the traits you mentioned...and about which we both find contemptible. My guess is that any animal that eventually became the dominant species would have had similar traits. So...it kind of goes with the territory.

In any case, I just prefer not to make guesses about the true nature of the Reality of existesnce...especially about whether or not there is at least one GOD invoved.
Agreed on contemptible about our animal tendencies. The good news is that, as a highly developed civilization, we’re able to overcome many of those tendencies. Despite Putin’s 20th Century throwback actions in Ukraine, the current mess in Gaza, and all the shit in Nigeria, the world is growing more populated and deaths from war are dropping.

China loves to saber-rattle because they know it works, but it’d be stupid of them to invade Taiwan when they can buy it over the next 20 years.

A point where we disagree. Yes, the here and now takes priority, but speculating on the hereafter is also a guiding light to what decisions we make. I could easily act like MAGAt and other political extremists by screaming “FUCK YOU! I’II DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT BECAUSE I ONLY CARE ABOUT MEEEEEEE!!!!!” or I could consider the ramifications of my actions upon others.

I’m a Libertarian who, although I understand and support the need for governments from local to national, am against it when it limits the rights of people. My #1 rule is to “Don’t hurt anyone”. I’m in favor of eliminating all laws regarding adults and “victimless crimes” such using drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc. I believe it should be a matter of choice.

Religion does serve a purpose in helping those who seek it to live a more pious life. I believe in the all powerful force, but am not normally a churchgoer. The Bible, like all ancient books of wisdom, is an excellent reference for moral behavior, but 4000 year old perceptions can be flawed in ways which modern readers should be able to see through.

So do I. For instance, the NT indicates that there was an emperor ruling Rome...and there is lots of evidence that, indeed, there was.
So do I. For instance, the NT indicates that there was an emperor ruling Rome...and there is lots of evidence that, indeed, there was.
And a combination of archeological evidence, and independent first century literary sources outside the Christian canon support that Pontius Pilate, John the Baptist, Jesus of Nazareth, and his brother James were real historical figures

So, at what point do we tell our children that there is no Santa Claus, no Easter Bunny, or that babies don’t come from storks?

Where do we start providing them with critical thinking skills where they can begin to separate fact from fiction?

That people really can’t walk on water, that one boat can’t fit all animals, that rainbows are from the refraction of light, that people aren’t resurrected?

Where do schools draw the line on perpetuating myths without being at risk for offending someone’s theology?
parents should teach their children to think critically before kindergarten........schools should shut the fuck up about theology, always......

And a combination of archeological evidence, and independent first century literary sources outside the Christian canon support that Pontius Pilate, John the Baptist, Jesus of Nazareth, and his brother James were real historical figures
I'll stick with the fact that Rome had an emperor.

I don't know what their doctrine is in Pentecostal and Southern Baptist churches, but walking on water is allegorical in other major Christian traditions.
all atheists believe they know something about major Christian traditions.......shucks, the Gnosts even think they ARE a major Christian tradition.........

Do you believe Jesus existed?

After Jesus died/disappeared/ran to France with the pregnant Mary/whatever, there were many various opinions about his life and his message. Some of those different opinions erupted into violence, which is typically human, but not following the message of Jesus. Some opinions revolved around the divinity of Jesus. Eventually those who believed the message of Jesus but not his divinity were killed off by those believed in his divinity.

Such actions were akin to Trump’s Traitors on 1/6 beating police with flagpoles carrying the black, white and blue American police flag while screaming “We’re doing this for YOUUUUUU! <whack><whack><whack>”.

Life is funny. :)

Agreed. There are ripples in history attesting to the existence of these figures.

If I’m sitting at a quiet, still water pond and suddenly see ripples of water spreading across it, then I know something disturbed the water. I can guess at what disturbed it and investigate it, but I didn’t need to actually see what disturbed it in order to know something happened there….and it wasn’t a fabrication.

Agreed on contemptible about our animal tendencies. The good news is that, as a highly developed civilization, we’re able to overcome many of those tendencies. Despite Putin’s 20th Century throwback actions in Ukraine, the current mess in Gaza, and all the shit in Nigeria, the world is growing more populated and deaths from war are dropping.

China loves to saber-rattle because they know it works, but it’d be stupid of them to invade Taiwan when they can buy it over the next 20 years.

A point where we disagree. Yes, the here and now takes priority, but speculating on the hereafter is also a guiding light to what decisions we make. I could easily act like MAGAt and other political extremists by screaming “FUCK YOU! I’II DO WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT BECAUSE I ONLY CARE ABOUT MEEEEEEE!!!!!” or I could consider the ramifications of my actions upon others.

I’m a Libertarian who, although I understand and support the need for governments from local to national, am against it when it limits the rights of people. My #1 rule is to “Don’t hurt anyone”. I’m in favor of eliminating all laws regarding adults and “victimless crimes” such using drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc. I believe it should be a matter of choice.

Religion does serve a purpose in helping those who seek it to live a more pious life. I believe in the all powerful force, but am not normally a churchgoer. The Bible, like all ancient books of wisdom, is an excellent reference for moral behavior, but 4000 year old perceptions can be flawed in ways which modern readers should be able to see through.
Nice work.

I think most humans need more than a list of rules telling them what it takes to be a flourishing person and a good citizen.

A list doesn't provide meaning and understanding, and a disembodied list of rules is subject to change. Ritual child sacrifice made perfect sense, and was logically neccessary to the Aztecs, Carthaginians, Canninites.

The draw of movements like Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Christianity is they provide meaning and purpose, and they provide reason and understanding for a system of categorical ethical imperatives and values

Nice work.

I think most humans need more than a list of rules telling them what it takes to be a flourishing person and a good citizen.

A list doesn't provide meaning and understanding, and a disembodied list of rules is subject to change. Ritual child sacrifice made perfect sense, and was logically neccessary to the Aztecs, Carthaginians, Canninites.

The draw of movements like Buddhism, Taoism, Judaism, Christianity is they provide meaning and purpose, and they provide reason and understanding for a system of categorical ethical imperatives and values
Exactly. Pure “when you’re dead, you’re dead” atheists were very rare. Most religions accept exactly as you point out; that humans have a spiritual component that what we do in this life affects us in the hereafter regardless if those beliefs include a specific entity. Also agreed that such religions present moral guidelines to living a good life. The Buddhist 8 Fold Path is one of those, the Ten Commandments another.

sgAnGJwXZJq421RqnNlVNSIzkc0U-HB_Uoqbqi4xc-gPJ9QQekQblvTgNGSX6ZgQySBIL6wu9IOnatdZzv2BLb50uzqcZgPGB7kxvK4ak5Q0AXvdBHGd4oU4Z1APzt4V5rknpQ

Exactly. Pure “when you’re dead, you’re dead” atheists were very rare. Most religions accept exactly as you point out; that humans have a spiritual component that what we do in this life affects us in the hereafter regardless if those beliefs include a specific entity. Also agreed that such religions present moral guidelines to living a good life. The Buddhist 8 Fold Path is one of those, the Ten Commandments another.

sgAnGJwXZJq421RqnNlVNSIzkc0U-HB_Uoqbqi4xc-gPJ9QQekQblvTgNGSX6ZgQySBIL6wu9IOnatdZzv2BLb50uzqcZgPGB7kxvK4ak5Q0AXvdBHGd4oU4Z1APzt4V5rknpQ
I think it's very powerful that things like the eightfold path, the five precepts of Jainism, and the sermon on the plain are not just a list of do's and dont's, but they have a metaphysical understanding and justification built into them.

Reading the Dhammapada is not just a view into a list of rules. It is a way of acquiring understanding and insight into a certain way of living.

Do you believe Jesus existed?

If you are asking if I guess that the individual identified in the New Testament as Jesus existed...my answer would be "NO."

If you are asking if I guess that the individual identified in the New Testament as Jesus did not exist...my answer would also be "NO."
After Jesus died/disappeared/ran to France with the pregnant Mary/whatever, there were many various opinions about his life and his message. Some of those different opinions erupted into violence, which is typically human, but not following the message of Jesus. Some opinions revolved around the divinity of Jesus. Eventually those who believed the message of Jesus but not his divinity were killed off by those believed in his divinity.

Such actions were akin to Trump’s Traitors on 1/6 beating police with flagpoles carrying the black, white and blue American police flag while screaming “We’re doing this for YOUUUUUU! <whack><whack><whack>”.

Life is funny. :)
Life indeed is funny. Life also, in my opinion, is great. I am loving my life.

... or the liberal's screeching about how bad MAGA is for whatever reason?
MAGAt rule #3 Always blame the other guy

MAGAt rule #4 When the conversation isn't going your way, change the subject.

MAGAt rule #5 When losing an argument, use whataboutism

Back