Atheists: a 5 year old is on her deathbed....

You use the word "heaven". You still want to believe but can't admit it.
The ire you toss my way is generated from within as you disappoint your own intellect.
I understand.
I have experienced it from others before.
I won't take it personally.

Billions of people are wrong but you in your infinite wisdom know the truth. How do you spell delusional?

It is the underlying impelling reason for all religion with very few exceptions.
It illustrates a major flaw in human development.
We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
Ergo, religion.

Not all religions, on the other hand, promise some sort of eternal eternity. Judaism is one such.

Billions of people are wrong but you in your infinite wisdom know the truth. How do you spell delusional?

Billions of people are delusional, believe magic is real and that they will live forever if they mumble the correct incantations to the correct magical, imaginary, invisible beings..
I am a realist.

As I said, "with very few exceptions".
Religions that do not promise everlasting life are not very popular.

Heheheh.... nope. We also seem hard-wired (most of us anyways) to want to seek out or create a deity who is a father or mother figure.... much larger and more powerful than we are, but all-knowing, usually also caring and loving as long as we behave. Something quite Freudian about that, eh?

Overall, searching for a spiritual path, along with the acknowledgement that we are both meatspace and spiritual beings, seems to be specific to our species as well, with or without deities or afterlife. Maybe this just comes from our very human sense of wonder and joy at how amazing life, and our shared planet, can be.

Heheheh.... nope. We also seem hard-wired (most of us anyways) to want to seek out or create a deity who is a father or mother figure.... much larger and more powerful than we are, but all-knowing, usually also caring and loving as long as we behave. Something quite Freudian about that, eh?

Overall, searching for a spiritual path, along with the acknowledgement that we are both meatspace and spiritual beings, seems to be specific to our species as well, with or without deities or afterlife. Maybe this just comes from our very human sense of wonder and joy at how amazing life, and our shared planet, can be.

Freud did not miss much when it came to analyzing our psychological foibles, on the whole.
Some say his cocaine abuse gave him insight into the human condition that few others could appreciate.

How do you know how much I personally spend addressing this issue? I spend almost no time thinking about something which I see no evidence for or else I wouldn't be an atheist, I would be a believer. However, I do like to join conversations about it from time to time because they are, if nothing else, entertaining.

You're spending time now. Someone that claims to be such a staunch atheist wouldn't spend any time yet you do. Scared that you might be wrong? I know you are.

Billions of people are delusional, believe magic is real and that they will live forever if they mumble the correct incantations to the correct magical, imaginary, invisible beings..
I am a realist.

Yet you believe Barack the Magic Negro was qualified based solely on his skin color.

Not defending Leon's "wisdom" but I will point out that just because "billions" of people believe something without evidence, does not make that thing true. Wishful thinking is not fact and never will be. You can't base fact on feelings.

I do find it ironic that you claim Liberals base their entire life on feelings but yet here you are basing your life on how you feel about there being a God and heaven and hell etc with no evidence. Just your feelings that it's true because you simply can't know what you don't know and have no way of knowing.

It's OK to admit you're scared.

I'm scared of reality, plenty there to be scared about. Make believe, wishful thinking based on feelings doesn't scare me. Other than my family missing me once I'm gone, I have no fear of death. Believers fear death and thus they need assurance this isn't all there is. They need to believe there's something after this because simply ceasing to exist scares the shit out of them. You are the one full of fear. Not me.

I'm scared of reality, plenty there to be scared about. Make believe, wishful thinking based on feelings doesn't scare me. Other than my family missing me once I'm gone, I have no fear of death. Believers fear death and thus they need assurance this isn't all there is. They need to believe there's something after this because simply ceasing to exist scares the shit out of them. You are the one full of fear. Not me.

I have no fear of death. Again, it's OK to be scared of what you will face after this life.

No one will miss you. Your grave will give me another place to shit and piss when I need to go.

Not defending Leon's "wisdom" but I will point out that just because "billions" of people believe something without evidence, does not make that thing true. Wishful thinking is not fact and never will be. You can't base fact on feelings.

I do find it ironic that you claim Liberals base their entire life on feelings but yet here you are basing your life on how you feel about there being a God and heaven and hell etc with no evidence. Just your feelings that it's true because you simply can't know what you don't know and have no way of knowing.

You claim you will simply cease to exist. You don't know nor have a way of knowing.

Back