Atheists: a 5 year old is on her deathbed....

and then you find out that child was raised in a different religion

and you just caused a family outrage on her deathbed

Jesus H. Christ, Evince.

Are you actually that fucking petty?

It is a five year old child in the hypothetical...asking if she will be going to heaven.

Say "YES"...and that's it.

But if you want to be petty here...and pretend you are saying something worthwhile...

...be my guest.

You are the kind of person who makes me INSIST that I will NEVER use the label "liberal" no matter who enthusiastically I support a progressive agenda, because so many of the people who enjoy that label are fucking, unthinking morons.

I would answer with what I know to be true. I don't guess, that is for insane religious people who don't have the strength to recognize reality, to do.
Lying to children is always inappropriate.

What do you "know" to be true about whether that child is going to heaven or not?

I am clear on that. You seem to be unwilling to listen to what I am saying.

The god of the Jews (the one appropriated by the Christians) MAY EXIST anyway.

The people who described what that god wants...what offends that god...what pleases that god...

...MAY HAVE GOT IT ALL WRONG.

And they may have got wrong that the god was looking over what they were saying about it...what is written in that Bible.

No. And if the Christian/Jewish god exists as described in some way...it can suck my cock or kiss my ass...or both, because there is no way I can even tolerate that god let alone love it.

And if such a god as described exists...I would loathe the idea that it might "love" me.

Okay?

Whatever.

Frank, my man, the question posed was what would you tell a dying 5 year old, not a theological argument over Pascal or Epicurus.

Go fix your hot tub and sit it in.

Frank, my man, the question posed was what would you tell a dying 5 year old, not a theological argument over Pascal or Epicurus.

I didn't bring Epicurus up....I merely responded and used Pascal and Aquinas in my response.

Do you know who did start that crap?

Go fix your hot tub and sit it in.

Ain't gonna be fixed. Gave up the ghost.

We just priced a new one...and I am still suffering from sticker shock. I hope that makes you happy.

Jesus H. Christ, Evince.

Are you actually that fucking petty?

It is a five year old child in the hypothetical...asking if she will be going to heaven.

Say "YES"...and that's it.

But if you want to be petty here...and pretend you are saying something worthwhile...

...be my guest.

You are the kind of person who makes me INSIST that I will NEVER use the label "liberal" no matter who enthusiastically I support a progressive agenda, because so many of the people who enjoy that label are fucking, unthinking morons.

Frank:

I want to apologize for all the disparity that has been between us.

Truce??

https://www.google.com/search?q=copout&oq=copout&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You know it is the former and you are too noncommittal to acknowledge it.
I suspect you have someone in your life who believes in magical beings and afterlife fantasies, and you are afraid of hurting their feelings if you told what you really think, so you pretend you don't know.
It's not uncommon.
Facts don't care about anyone's feelings.

And I suspect that you can fuck off.

I didn't bring Epicurus up....I merely responded and used Pascal and Aquinas in my response.

We just priced a new one...and I am still suffering from sticker shock. I hope that makes you happy.

Bummer on the hot tub. I need to replace a pump on mine. Been idle for a year and I miss it a lot.

What do you "know" to be true about whether that child is going to heaven or not?

I know that there is no such place, or phenomena. So to tell her she were going there would be a lie.
I would tell the child facing death that those who love her will remember her and think of her for a very long time.
That would be comforting and would not be a lie.

I know it may be hard for you to understand, but, I would not lie to her.
I would have too much respect for her, especially if she were dying, to tell her lies.

Bummer on the hot tub. I need to replace a pump on mine. Been idle for a year and I miss it a lot.

Get the model number from the plate on the pump and go to E bay. It should not be more than $300.00 Maybe a lot less, if you shop there wisely.
I have been a certified pool operator in Colorado for ten years.
PM me if you need help.

less disruption in their last few days

If you are going to lie to her to make her feel better, why not go all the way and tell her that she will get better real soon and live a long healthy life, get married and have lots of children of her own?
Dishonesty shows a lack of respect.
Especially towards someone who is facing their mortality head on, as in the hypothetical.

Last edited:

As long as the shell and jets aren't shattered and leaking you can always repair a hot tub a lot more cheaply than buying, even a used one.

Bottom line here is that you shouldn't say YES and you don't have to NO either,
There are many ways to comfort the dying without telling them lies.
People are so used to lying to children that the knee jerk reaction is to lie and lie some more to shut them up.
That is sick.
Respect for someone, anyone, facing their mortality should rule out lies.
For me it is a moral issue.

I know that there is no such place, or phenomena. So to tell her she were going there would be a lie.
I would tell the child facing death that those who love her will remember her and think of her for a very long time.
That would be comforting and would not be a lie.

I know it may be hard for you to understand, but, I would not lie to her.
I would have too much respect for her, especially if she were dying, to tell her lies.

You seem to have no trouble lying to me...so I question that "respect" you suppose you have.

Leonthecat: "I know that there is no such place, or phenomena."
This is the EXACT mirror image of one that says "I KNOW that there IS such a place!".

Hard to 'know' ... The Unknown.

After scanning the discussion here, I'm guessing that there are at least a couple of you who don't believe that your pets cross the Rainbow Bridge when they pass away;( (they do, btw...)

Back