Auto industry: to bail or not to bail

The auto industry is one of the few things in the "downward spiral" that is the economy that is close to me. Well that and cheaper gas. My father-in-law got forced into early retirement by GM and goes from making $80,000 per year to whatever he gets from retirement which won't be enough to meet his bills. It is going to be a rough time for them for a while. To bail or not to bail......I'm not smart enough to answer that but I do know the loss of jobs if something isn't done will be extremely detrimental to the overall economic future. At least with my father-in-law he was nearing retirement....still a couple of years away....but at least he had some plans for it. They'll tighten their belt for a year or two and will be OK. I worry about the younger person who gets laid off. At this point in my feeble mind I say bail.....with stipulation and oversight.

younger = time to get a new career. What are we at 4% unemployment? jobs are plentiful. 6months training at it tech and you can get a job doing something totally different.

Depends on how it is structured. IF the government takes equity (like they did with AIG) then yes, the stockholders will lose (as they should). If the government simply gives money to GM, then they will likely make money in the short term.

i see, thanks. i thought there was that risk, but have been having this debate with a couple of people.

it's hard to always be right, even in things that don't fall into your own particular field. but, that's me to a Tee.

yeah i get that part. my question is more complicated - is there a scenerio where the govt takes over the auto makers, like GM, and the taxpayer becomes the stockholder, and the current stockholders get stiffed?

yes.... IF the bailout were to occur, the government should take ownership of the stock, then turn around and sell it to recoup as much of the bailout funds as they can. The taxpayer should benefit from these transactions, not the current stockholders.

i don't think these two things are seen as mutually exclusive. rather that we can have a revitalized american auto industry, making cars that people actually want, and invest separately in solar and wind tech.

We already have that... its called Toyota... the number one producer of autos in the US.

:)

Depends on how it is structured. IF the government takes equity (like they did with AIG) then yes, the stockholders will lose (as they should). If the government simply gives money to GM, then they will likely make money in the short term.
The loss has to be short-term. The reality is the company is still traded and one can make or lose money on the market with AIG. In the long-term if the bailout is successful the stockholders will make money. Unless the government simply pulls a Venezuela, the privately owned stock remains on the market.

younger = time to get a new career. What are we at 4% unemployment? jobs are plentiful. 6months training at it tech and you can get a job doing something totally different.

it's funny you felt the exact opposite when it was your livelihood at stake chap. i can't help but notice that.

is it because these are just blue collar workers?

That sounds like the right plan. I don't know the business part of it at all; one thing I have never understood is why America lags behind so noticeably in some of these areas. Why does Japan always have a leg up on us in something like auto manufacturing, and new technology?

That's gotta change if we're going to get back on track...

Because like the Chinese, the Japanese plan for the long term. Rather than responding to short term fads like the Big Three.

That sounds like the right plan. I don't know the business part of it at all; one thing I have never understood is why America lags behind so noticeably in some of these areas. Why does Japan always have a leg up on us in something like auto manufacturing, and new technology?

That's gotta change if we're going to get back on track...

i definitely agree with this, and this is worth spending money for, because there is an actual payoff to the american people, and the american worker, both short term, but probably more important - long term.

The loss has to be short-term. The reality is the company is still traded and one can make or lose money on the market with AIG. In the long-term if the bailout is successful the stockholders will make money. Unless the government simply pulls a Venezuela, the privately owned stock remains on the market.

Keep in mind, the government took over 80% of AIG stock. That is 80% the stockholders lost. Their shares were seriously diluted. That said, new buyers could indeed make money off it. But those holding the stock at the time of the bailout have a hell of a lot of ground to make up.

The auto industry is one of the few things in the "downward spiral" that is the economy that is close to me. Well that and cheaper gas. My father-in-law got forced into early retirement by GM and goes from making $80,000 per year to whatever he gets from retirement which won't be enough to meet his bills. It is going to be a rough time for them for a while. To bail or not to bail......I'm not smart enough to answer that but I do know the loss of jobs if something isn't done will be extremely detrimental to the overall economic future. At least with my father-in-law he was nearing retirement....still a couple of years away....but at least he had some plans for it. They'll tighten their belt for a year or two and will be OK. I worry about the younger person who gets laid off. At this point in my feeble mind I say bail.....with stipulation and oversight.

The human side of this just kills me. I'm pretty lucky, because my job is pretty secure right now, but everytime I read about these layoffs, it's just devastating.

DHL's recent layoff of 9,500 killed an entire OH town - just killed it. As soon as they announced it, other businesses - insurance agents, restaurants, et al. - started packing up & making plans to just leave.

We're all connected in such a vital way that rarely is obvious on the surface; that's probably why I support a bailout. I just think the ramifications of stranding all of these people will be wider & deeper than most people think.

The human side of this just kills me. I'm pretty lucky, because my job is pretty secure right now, but everytime I read about these layoffs, it's just devastating.

DHL's recent layoff of 9,500 killed an entire OH town - just killed it. As soon as they announced it, other businesses - insurance agents, restaurants, et al. - started packing up & making plans to just leave.

We're all connected in such a vital way that rarely is obvious on the surface; that's probably why I support a bailout. I just think the ramifications of stranding all of these people will be wider & deeper than most people think.
I don't mind bailouts specifically.

What I mind is purchasing failure with our tax money. Even when we do the right thing and fire the current leadership we reward their failure with millions as we send them merrily on their way. Mediocrity and failure should not be rewarded in this fashion.

I understand this but what happens to their houses and other debt during the 6 months?

I don't mind bailouts specifically.

What I mind is purchasing failure with our tax money. Even when we do the right thing and fire the current leadership we reward their failure with millions as we send them merrily on their way. Mediocrity and failure should not be rewarded in this fashion.

damo i'm just not going to get behind putting an entire industry out on the streets just to spite a few ceo's.

damo i'm just not going to get behind putting an entire industry out on the streets just to spite a few ceo's.

that ISN'T what he suggested goofball. He stated that IF we bail out the companies, the EXECUTIVES HAVE TO GO. They cannot be allowed to continue leading the company that they destroyed. He is suggesting that fresh blood take over the reigns IF a bailout occurs.

that ISN'T what he suggested goofball. He stated that IF we bail out the companies, the EXECUTIVES HAVE TO GO. They cannot be allowed to continue leading the company that they destroyed. He is suggesting that fresh blood take over the reigns IF a bailout occurs.

"What I mind is purchasing failure with our tax money. Even when we do the right thing and fire the current leadership we reward their failure with millions as we send them merrily on their way. Mediocrity and failure should not be rewarded in this fashion."

i don't think so sf.

One of the problems with letting them fail is the amount of time it will take for a better auto manufacturer to gear up and start producing.

Yes, the current mgmt has totally screwed the pooch. But, as Darla said, we already produce so little, can we afford to let another big chunk of our production go under?

Its a tough call. I was totally aganst the bank bailout, but this one seems to me to be a different animal.

I just read that they estimate that 1 out of every 10 jobs is connected to the auto industry in some way. That's just scary.

I know people are pissed about all of the bailouts and have little tolerance for more, but it's definitely a "cut off your nose to spite your face" kind of situation...

Back