awesome debate

Hmm Damo and GL saying an even spread. I guess McCain did get his ass handed to him.

My analysis of the analysts.

I agree Obama handed his ass to McCain...

;)

Not really. I'd say that McCain gains because so many expected him to do worse than he did.

Do you typically set the bar low for your candidate. It's like your saying "well he didn't do as bad as i thought he would do so he did good"

its quite laughable.

I agree Obama handed his ass to McCain...

;)

Not really. I'd say that McCain gains because so many expected him to do worse than he did.

Where does this expectation that McCain would do shitty come from? He's been in office for 20+ years, a seasoned veteran and foreign policy is his strong suit. Why would he do poorly?

Couric seems to have had her ass handed to her too.....in a polite way as only Palin can do....

And that in itself is proof positive McCain scored at least a TKO.....

now MSNBC will say Obama won by a landslide....

Fox will give us the facts.....fair and balanced..lol

LOL'd

Fox will have Rich Lowrey and Pat Cadell sniffing each others butts

Do you typically set the bar low for your candidate. It's like your saying "well he didn't do as bad as i thought he would do so he did good"

its quite laughable.
What part of "I am not voting for either of these two" means that McCain is my candidate?

Where does this expectation that McCain would do shitty come from? He's been in office for 20+ years, a seasoned veteran and foreign policy is his strong suit. Why would he do poorly?
It came from the "Even though this debate is supposed to be about Foreign Policy the Economy will be spoken of"... and the constant rehash of how the economy is negative for him because he has an R by his name.

And the time they spent on the economy was direct, lengthy and had very little to do directly with foreign policy.

The biggest gain that I saw was the weak attempts to link McCain to Bush, they were too subtle and IMO ineffective. I suspect that in future debates he'll be more direct.

I think the expectation was that Obama would be stellar... That he would outshine the old man with a brightness only Joe Biden's smile could match.

Obama simply didn't do anything really amazing.

Where does this expectation that McCain would do shitty come from? He's been in office for 20+ years, a seasoned veteran and foreign policy is his strong suit. Why would he do ?
. I think you heard it on this board and in the national punditry. "wait till old man mccain has to stand on stage next to obama" "obama will wipe the floor with him"

I think the expectation was that Obama would be stellar... That he would outshine the old man with a brightness only Joe Biden's smile could match.

Obama simply didn't do anything really amazing.
How many times did we read Cypress talking about how "scared" McCain was to stand on the stage with Obama and contrast his age with the much younger Obama?

. I think you heard it on this board and in the national punditry. "wait till old man mccain has to stand on stage next to obama" "obama will wipe the floor with him"

Perhaps you have some specific examples among the national punditry? I seriously haven't heard. I swore off cable news a few months ago.

How many times did we read Cypress talking about how "scared" McCain was to stand on the stage with Obama and contrast his age with the much younger Obama?

He was scared to look at him.

But seriously, is Cypress suddenly Everyman? Is is at all surprising that Cypress would think that? Two posters said that the general expectation was that McCain would do poorly and I'm just curious where that comes from. Both posters are generally supportive of McCain.

Damocles, did you learn that from Cypress? Good Luck, following Cypress too?

Seems to me we have two posters generally supportive (although Damo ain't voting for him) of McCain pretending he is an idiot to support their preference that he come out of the debate ahead. Playing the expectations game just like the campaigns themselves (Obama's camp sent articles about how poorly he did in the primary debates to the media this morning).

Try looking at the rhetoric about McCains motivations for wanting to avoid or at best delay this debate. "McCain wants to avoid debate because he knows how badly he'll lose" etc. etc. etc. Gee, why would ANYONE think there was an expectation that Obama would kick ass?

With the crisis in full bloom everyone (except possibly you) knew full well economy would take up a significant portion of this debate, which was indeed supposed to be about foreign relations. ALL the talk about the debates has been all about how Obama will annihilate McCain on economic issues. He did not. He scored some points, and MCCain scored some points.

Then when it shifted to foreign relations, about the same thing happened. Obama focussed on the mistake of Iraq. McCain focussed on where to go from here. Both pretty much played to prevailing opinions of both sides. IMO about the only point unanswered was McCain pointing out he was involved in the post Vietnam era, giving him a genuine experiential edge when it comes to post-war politics - which will come into play, hopefully in the next four years, pretty much for certain within 8.

That's pretty much what I saw.

I'm watching from a position that I am not going to vote for either of these two, so I really don't have any dog in the fight. The attempts to link Bush to McCain were too weak and didn't stick. The central theme of the Obama campaign didn't have many legs in this debate. I suspect they'll be more direct.

That's a narrow view of Obama's objective.

I think holding his own w/ McCain on foreign policy is bad news for McCain. The next debate, after all, is economics/domestic.

That's a narrow view of Obama's objective.

I think holding his own w/ McCain on foreign policy is bad news for McCain. The next debate, after all, is economics/domestic.
I think it is a clear objective of the Obama campaign to link the two. I think it is effective as well.

I think it is a clear objective of the Obama campaign to link the two. I think it is effective as well.

It's AN objective; not the objective.

I don't think they look at it like "if we don't link the two well in the debate, we've lost." I have a hunch they're probably pretty happy tonight. I'm sure McCain's camp is too, but he needed a game changer that he didn't get.

Back