Bailout bill fails

This is from the New Republic, apparently, support for a bailout has been rising:

Well, the bailout plan was rejected in the House of Representatives by a vote of 228-205. And, gasp, the markets are tanking.
Prediction: Voting against this thing is not going to be the political winner that some have speculated opposition would be. Already, there is evidence that the plan was becoming more popular. And expect support to rise further now that the economy will be in even more dire straits.
As for McCain, this is very, very bad news. He failed to convert the House GOP, and the stock market is in a tailspin.
Update...from those always amusing House Republicans:
Representative Darrell Issa, a Republican, said he was “resolute” in his opposition to the measure because it would betray party principles and amount to “a coffin on top of Ronald Reagan’s coffin.”
--Isaac Chotiner
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/29/bail-out-of-control.aspx

thanks for that... I will take a look at it and compare.. unless you already know how many of the 95 were from the progressive caucus???

I would be curious to see what percentage of the 229... are up for re-election in 2008.

Not all of the 95 were in the Progressive Caucus, but a whole lot of the progressives balked.

All members of the House are up for re-election this year.

Whatever.

Hopefully we can get a summer home now and hopefully I can strong arm an acura dealer into getting me an even better deal than before.

I see this as every thing's on sale now.

Tiana, economically you are a very cold person, and basically, a Republican. I hate when you talk like this, it really makes me regret having slept with you. It's almost as bad as if I had woken up and realized i had slept with superfreak.

This is from the New Republic, apparently, support for a bailout has been rising:

Well, the bailout plan was rejected in the House of Representatives by a vote of 228-205. And, gasp, the markets are tanking.
Prediction: Voting against this thing is not going to be the political winner that some have speculated opposition would be. Already, there is evidence that the plan was becoming more popular. And expect support to rise further now that the economy will be in even more dire straits.
As for McCain, this is very, very bad news. He failed to convert the House GOP, and the stock market is in a tailspin.
Representative Darrell Issa, a Republican, said he was “resolute” in his opposition to the measure because it would betray party principles and amount to “a coffin on top of Ronald Reagan’s coffin.”
--Isaac Chotiner
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/09/29/bail-out-of-control.aspx

FYI.... you were waiting for something to happen that would take my vote from McCain.... that event was today. At this point I am not voting. If I do decide to vote... I am going with Charlie Brown as my write in.... maybe Bugs Bunny...

How the FUCK could he not deliver those votes.

the speech was nothing. The Reps took some pot shots too. It was a complete bullshit excuse from the Reps. If they think it gives them cover they are wrong. They just lost any chance of McCain winning. Given his recent reeling in the polls plus this... game over.

Hello President Obama.

I get so angry at Obama sometimes, you have no idea. Obviously, I am far to the left of what he APPEARS to be. (I believe he may be more to the left than he can let on). But for some reason, I love that guy, I am more excited by him than I have ever been by any politician. So I will be happy if he wins, but I will also be busting his balls, and pressuring him, you can count on that.

--Isaac Chotiner

I totally agree w/ this. I think the GOP got a ton of calls, did a knee-jerk, and miscalculated in a big, big way.

They just put the coffin on the coffin, alright.

FYI.... you were waiting for something to happen that would take my vote from McCain.... that event was today. At this point I am not voting. If I do decide to vote... I am going with Charlie Brown as my write in.... maybe Bugs Bunny...

How the FUCK could he not deliver those votes.

I do not understand why you just don't vote for Obama.

Not all of the 95 were in the Progressive Caucus, but a whole lot of the progressives balked.

All members of the House are up for re-election this year.

THAT is how pissed I am... friggin stupid question. ARRRRGGGGGHHH

That said.... Good point on the progressives not likely to jump. From that list there are 75. Assuming the majority of them balked... that would have been tough to get eleven from the remaining 20-25 Dems that went against it.

So I will agree, the Reps are certainly more complicit in this.... I seriously hope they all choke to death tonight. Bastards. Every one.

Tiana, economically you are a very cold person, and basically, a Republican. I hate when you talk like this.....

Hey......what we had was special. Economics doesn't change that.

And for the record, I was only kidding about the summer home (the car maybe not so much).

However maybe I should buy one seeing as how real estate investors are getting down side subsidies from the gov't now. If it doesn't work out, MSNBC can do a story on poor little ole' me in my $600k summer home in Spring Lake, NJ.

And I'm not cold. I'm just tired of getting screwed left and right by everyone(except you). I'm pretty sure this thing will pass and when it does we will get the raw end of the deal. Mark my words.

Bush even said that its being passed so that people can continue to borrow to meet their everyday needs. That scares me.

I do not understand why you just don't vote for Obama.

Because I do not like his policy ideas. I do not believe in the bullshit of 'lets tax the rich more'. Especially when the idiots in the Dem leadership do not practice what they preach. NO ONE is FORCED to take deductions. They could lead by example and pay an effective rate of 30% if they wanted. But they don't.

Not that any of them are doing anything illegal or anything.... but either put up or shut up. If they truly wanted a progressive tax structure, they would implement the flat tax with a standard deduction. It does everything they claim to want. The only problem is it takes away the bribes they get from lobbyists who want special items introduced to our monumental tax code.

Again, I think he is intelligent enough to be a good leader. But I will never again vote for a President of a party that controls both houses of Congress. EVER. We have been fucked every friggin time. Again, I freely admit thinking it would be different with Bush and a Rep Congress.... I was flat out wrong on that (yes I know... it could have gone without saying)

THAT is how pissed I am... friggin stupid question. ARRRRGGGGGHHH

That said.... Good point on the progressives not likely to jump. From that list there are 75. Assuming the majority of them balked... that would have been tough to get eleven from the remaining 20-25 Dems that went against it.

So I will agree, the Reps are certainly more complicit in this.... I seriously hope they all choke to death tonight. Bastards. Every one.

Wow, now we are both wishing death on Republicans, (though when I do it I am called names) what is going on, dogs are sleeping with cats, the sun is coming out at midnight, what could be next I’m scared?

Hey......what we had was special. Economics doesn't change that.

And for the record, I was only kidding about the summer home (the car maybe not so much).

However maybe I should buy one seeing as how real estate investors are getting down side subsidies from the gov't now. If it doesn't work out, MSNBC can do a story on poor little ole' me in my $600k summer home in Spring Lake, NJ.

And I'm not cold. I'm just tired of getting screwed left and right by everyone(except you). I'm pretty sure this thing will pass and when it does we will get the raw end of the deal. Mark my words.

Ok I am sorry I called you cold.

thanks for that... I will take a look at it and compare.. unless you already know how many of the 95 were from the progressive caucus???

I would be curious to see what percentage of the 229... are up for re-election in 2008.
Um in the house? All of them.

Because I do not like his policy ideas. I do not believe in the bullshit of 'lets tax the rich more'. Especially when the idiots in the Dem leadership do not practice what they preach. NO ONE is FORCED to take deductions. They could lead by example and pay an effective rate of 30% if they wanted. But they don't.

Not that any of them are doing anything illegal or anything.... but either put up or shut up. If they truly wanted a progressive tax structure, they would implement the flat tax with a standard deduction. It does everything they claim to want. The only problem is it takes away the bribes they get from lobbyists who want special items introduced to our monumental tax code.

Again, I think he is intelligent enough to be a good leader. But I will never again vote for a President of a party that controls both houses of Congress. EVER. We have been fucked every friggin time. Again, I freely admit thinking it would be different with Bush and a Rep Congress.... I was flat out wrong on that (yes I know... it could have gone without saying)

Well, if times were good, there is some merit to a split government. But times are very very bad, Obama is very very smart, and I don’t want anyone blocking his proposals. We need to get some shit done, we just had 8 years of extremism.

Wow, now we are both wishing death on Republicans, (though when I do it I am called names) what is going on, dogs are sleeping with cats, the sun is coming out at midnight, what could be next I’m scared?

true... but I am a MAN... you are just a woman.

:)

Btw, for you amateurs, notice I used “very very” twice. Don’t try this at home. It is extremely grammatically incorrect, something can be very, but never, very very. It’s only when you are fluent in all of the rules that you can start breaking them. This could be dangerous in the wrong hands, witness Topper.

Back