Baltimore bridge hit by container ship, major collapse

Note: If the anchor was dropped it should have required the pilots order...we must verify that the order was given.

If not the chances that this was terrorism go way up.

[​

2024-03-26T083156Z_1918597736_RC2KT6A25L48_RTRMADP_3_MARYLAND-INCIDENT.jpg

A view of the Francis Scott Key Bridge after it collapsed, in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S., in this picture released on March 26, 2024.

Baltimore Bridge Hit By Ship – Major Collapse

BloombergTotal Views: 67
March 26, 2024
[FONT=&]
facebook.svg

twitter.svg

linkedin.svg

sharethis.svg
[/FONT]​
The most severe US bridge collision since the Tampa Skyway Bridge disaster in 1980 happened in the early hours of the morning while the ship was under pilotage. Here are the details we have so far.
By Katrina Nicholas (Bloomberg)

A major commuter bridge in Baltimore collapsed after being rammed by a container ship, causing vehicles to plunge into the water and threatening chaos at one of the most important ports on the US East Coast.

The Maryland Transportation Authority issued an telling drivers not to use Interstate 695. Kevin Cartwright of the Baltimore City Fire Department described it as “a mass casualty, multi-agency incident” in an audio interview with CNN, adding as many as 20 people could be in the water.

The disaster at the Francis Scott Key Bridge happened early Tuesday. It’s likely to cause huge disruption — both for shipping at one of the busiest ports on the US East Coast and on the roads — now that a key link has been severed on the major highway encircling Baltimore.
https://gcaptain.com/baltimore-bridge-hit-by-ship-major-collapse/

It's also the only bridge in the region crossing the river. The other two main ways are via tunnels. So any hazmat trucks now have no easy way through, meaning a lot of long detouring.

When I was young, the Skyway Bridge spanning Tampa Bay had the same thing happen. A school bus went over.. They rebuilt it with technology to make this MUCH less likely to happen. Bumpers in front of the pillars to prevent ships from hitting, they would hit the bumper first.

This was avoidable, with the proper funding.

I was afraid to drive over bridges the rest of my childhood. I still get the creeps driving over the new Skyway.

I was in Tampa at the time as well (Lutz, to be precise). Bumpers/fenders are useful for redirecting glancing blows. A full-force dead on collision by something this big, they would have not done much.

I think the state made a wrong decision in building the span bridge instead of building a simple tunnel like the Hampton tunnel.

Now they can correct the problem and do it the right way, like it should have been done in the first place.

My dad always taught me to do it right the first time, and that way you don't have to go back and do it all over again. Thanks Dad! [Geeko Sportivo]

59491ee789d0e211a80bd117

Hm, they already have two tunnels. Hazmat carrying trucks can't legally go into them. Their only way through Baltimore was this bridge.

Note: If the anchor was dropped it should have required the pilots order...we must verify that the order was given.

Anchor would not have done anything. The one they dropped would be skipping across the riverbed. Anchors are solely for holding a stationary ship in place, not for stopping a 100+ ton ship going at speed.

Well I dont actually know that this means that they will not go after the ship owner, but this may as well have been pilot error for dropping the anchor.

However: as a principle moral hazard is a thing....those who cause disasters can not be allowed to skate away without being charged, as was done with the Great Recession and many other times.

I heard the ship had an engineering casualty and had released an emergency notice on hazard to navigation. The bridge was closed right before the ship hit it and traffic on it was therefore somewhat limited by the closure, which helped minimize the loss of life. Dropping anchor on a moving ship weighing tens of thousands of tons doesn't mean it stops on a dime. Basically, the ship couldn't maneuver with the loss of power and drifted into the bridge. The crew saw it coming, tried to warn people like they should, but were helpless to stop what happened.

I was in Tampa at the time as well (Lutz, to be precise). Bumpers/fenders are useful for redirecting glancing blows. A full-force dead on collision by something this big, they would have not done much.

They built huge islands around the pillars. My grandmother lived in Lutz. Great memories of Lutz.

This is nonsensical. Biden needs to try to win Ohio. Maryland will go blue regardless. He doesn't need to fight for Democrat votes in solidly blue Maryland.

I mean, really - what in the world are you talking about? Do you also think Biden will selfishly spend all of this time campaigning in L.A. and New York City?

At this point, Biden's losing the minority vote, and many Democrats are not behind him. He needs his base to be solid before he tries to get crossover voting. His own party's support is crumbling at the voter level. Why do you think he (illegally) did another round of college loan forgiveness? White college educated liberals are a major Democrat voting bloc today. He can't afford to lose them or take them for granted give his for shit poll numbers.

At this point, Biden's losing the minority vote, and many Democrats are not behind him. He needs his base to be solid before he tries to get crossover voting. His own party's support is crumbling at the voter level. Why do you think he (illegally) did another round of college loan forgiveness? White college educated liberals are a major Democrat voting bloc today. He can't afford to lose them or take them for granted give his for shit poll numbers.

LOL

Just admit you were wrong. Biden isn't concerned about Maryland, one single bit.

You know nothing about large cargo ships, do you?

Anchor would not have done anything. The one they dropped would be skipping across the riverbed. Anchors are solely for holding a stationary ship in place, not for stopping a 100+ ton ship going at speed.

The other explanation is that the ship steered right into the support. Google indicates that dropping while underway is not not done because it wont stop the ship, but rather that it might cause crew injury and/or damage the ship. I doubt you know what you are talking about.

I heard the ship had an engineering casualty and had released an emergency notice on hazard to navigation. The bridge was closed right before the ship hit it and traffic on it was therefore somewhat limited by the closure, which helped minimize the loss of life. Dropping anchor on a moving ship weighing tens of thousands of tons doesn't mean it stops on a dime. Basically, the ship couldn't maneuver with the loss of power and drifted into the bridge. The crew saw it coming, tried to warn people like they should, but were helpless to stop what happened.

That the US government has ruled this not terrorism before doing ANY investigation is something to notice.

You know nothing about large cargo ships, do you?

I know quite a lot about large ships. I was aboard the Enterprise in 1983 when it ran aground in SF bay:

91285dca6490e96020fc02fa14489113.jpg

Same thing was the cause. An engineering casualty (I won't bore you with all the details) that led to a loss of propulsion, and without that at low speed (like the freighter that hit that bridge) the rudder is largely ineffective because the screws (propellers) aren't pushing water over it.

That the US government has ruled this not terrorism before doing ANY investigation is something to notice.

Sometimes things are obvious. This is one of those cases. The ship notified the authorities of their engineering problem and tried to deal with the situation. The current and tide pushed them into the bridge and they couldn't do anything to stop it. The authorities tried to stop traffic from entering onto the bridge but couldn't completely do that prior to the ship hitting it, so cars that were already on the bridge were at risk.

This is a BLACK SWAN event.

Black swans normally come out of the world of finance (not military). The standard operating procedures for all U.S. ports, harbors, and bays that transit commerce and military activities are supposed to maintain an incredible level of discipline, rigor and awareness for these very type events to not occur (ever!), yet here we are.

There are harbor masters for every single one of these transit points in America that are in charge of assuring the safety of navigation…start there.

Happened in Tampa Bay.

I know quite a lot about large ships. I was aboard the Enterprise in 1983 when it ran aground in SF bay:

91285dca6490e96020fc02fa14489113.jpg

Same thing was the cause. An engineering casualty (I won't bore you with all the details) that led to a loss of propulsion, and without that at low speed (like the freighter that hit that bridge) the rudder is largely ineffective because the screws (propellers) aren't pushing water over it.

Then you know an anchor would not have helped in the Baltimore situation.

Then you know an anchor would not have helped in the Baltimore situation.

I already said that. Stopping a ship that big, even going just 6 to 10 knots (< 15 mph) is measured in miles. Dropping anchor won't change that much. The anchor will drag. 100 tons of anchor (or less) won't stop a moving 40,000 ton + ship instantly. Try stopping your car with your feet out the door when it's moving 10 mph... Ain't happening.

This is a BLACK SWAN event.

Black swans normally come out of the world of finance (not military). The standard operating procedures for all U.S. ports, harbors, and bays that transit commerce and military activities are supposed to maintain an incredible level of discipline, rigor and awareness for these very type events to not occur (ever!), yet here we are.

There are harbor masters for every single one of these transit points in America that are in charge of assuring the safety of navigation…start there.

Happened in Minnesota

Back