Banning 'To Kill a Mockingbird' teaches students the wrong lesson

I can't say anything about his attitude. The book doesn't make white people look so great either. It portrays life in a small Southern town at the time when racism really was rampant. It doesn't show Atticus Finch as a color-blind hero either. He was just a tad less flawed than the others.

https://newrepublic.com/article/122...been-pointing-out-atticus-finchs-racism-years

I'm definitely not saying my friend is right but are white people allowed to say he is wrong?

He’s the father, if he doesn’t want his kid reading it, his wishes need to be respected, but, isn’t it best to let the children read and make up their own minds?

Yeah, I guess you're right Phantasmal, Home Schooling might be the right thing, maybe just read the Bible all day, why read other shit that might 'tempt' you into following Satan?

Oakland, CA, just removed the children's books about police from their collection because they showed police as "heroes" who helped people. They want books more in-line with the child's reality.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11650875/librarians-on-the-line-evaluating-childrens-books-about-police

I've seen others, including my high school teachers from Oakland, talk a lot about books that lift up blacks specifically but minority characters. I think reading is a great thing so I can't complain when people read.

As far as Jarod's comment that people should be uncomfortable when they read does that imply to minorities when they believe books show white supremacy and white power, including many that "we" call classics?

Yeah, I guess you're right Phantasmal, Home Schooling might be the right thing, maybe just read the Bible all day, why read other shit that might 'tempt' you into following Satan?
It isn’t quite the same with this father, I would guess, but there are communities that do it. It works for them. It doesn’t work for everyone. I don’t have a problem with them as long as they don’t force anyone to do it.

"The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family is a 2008 book by American historian Annette Gordon-Reed. It recounts the history of four generations of the African-American Hemings family, from their African and Virginia origins until the 1826 death of Thomas Jefferson, their master and the father of Sally Hemings' children.[1]

It is based on Gordon-Reed's study of legal records, diaries, farm books, letters, wills, newspapers, archives, and oral history.[1] Gordon-Reed wanted readers to "see slave people as individuals" and to "tell the story of this family in a way not done before".[1] Jefferson scholar Joseph Ellis has called the book "the best study of a slave family ever written".[1]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hemingses_of_Monticello

Should this be required reading?

It isn’t quite the same with this father, I would guess, but there are communities that do it. It works for them. It doesn’t work for everyone. I don’t have a problem with them as long as they don’t force anyone to do it.

I support people reading, especially young people. I'll ask you the same question as I did cawacko.

Do you think "The Hemingses of Monticello" should be required reading?

It's about Thomas Jefferson fucking his slave girl (and his wife's half sister) at 15, and having children by her ... and living together until his death.

"The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family is a 2008 book by American historian Annette Gordon-Reed. It recounts the history of four generations of the African-American Hemings family, from their African and Virginia origins until the 1826 death of Thomas Jefferson, their master and the father of Sally Hemings' children.[1]

It is based on Gordon-Reed's study of legal records, diaries, farm books, letters, wills, newspapers, archives, and oral history.[1] Gordon-Reed wanted readers to "see slave people as individuals" and to "tell the story of this family in a way not done before".[1] Jefferson scholar Joseph Ellis has called the book "the best study of a slave family ever written".[1]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hemingses_of_Monticello

Should this be required reading?
Thanks, it sounds like a great book.

I think it might be a great read for an advanced placement class. I think it should be noted in history. We act like the Founders were gods, but they aren’t, they were men, and they had their flaws.

I support people reading, especially young people. I'll ask you the same question as I did cawacko.

Do you think "The Hemingses of Monticello" should be required reading?

It's about Thomas Jefferson fucking his slave girl (and his wife's half sister) at 15, and having children by her ... and living together until his death.
Answered

Thanks, it sounds like a great book.

I think it might be a great read for an advanced placement class. I think it should be noted in history. We act like the Founders were gods, but they aren’t, they were men, and they had their flaws.

Slaves were always banged by their Masters throughout History.

Thomas Jefferson is a notable American, his Story deserves to be told. When his wife, Martha, died, he took up with her half sister, Sally (an inherited slave girl)
He had children by her and they stayed together. I think the Cemetery at Monticello has been opened up to their descendants?

Back