Banning 'To Kill a Mockingbird' teaches students the wrong lesson

I was reminded of this thread as one of my best high school buddies, who happens to be black, wrote on Facebook today about To Kill A Mockingbird.

His first comment was "Wife and son trying to find a book to read and To Kill A Mockingbird comes up. F*ck that, nope."

He later said "They like sneaking these racist ass books with the great white savior in to our schools to f*ck with our black children's self esteem. Not on my watch."

Clearly the book makes my friend uncomfortable. Should it be required reading for his son?

Does your friend have any education?

Does your friend have any education?

He went to Morehouse undergrad and UC Davis law school. He has two sons, one is 13 and the other 10. He writes on Facebook quite a bit about what it is like raising two black boys in America. I also think he defriend anyone who voted for Trump so I survived that cut.

This happened in red state Trumptard Mississippi.

I know this thread is long and I haven't read up or followed it. I just wanted to chime in and give my 2 cents worth. I'm against re-writing History, I'm against book burning. Anybody want to 'edit' the Bible?

I was reminded of this thread as one of my best high school buddies, who happens to be black, wrote on Facebook today about To Kill A Mockingbird.

His first comment was "Wife and son trying to find a book to read and To Kill A Mockingbird comes up. F*ck that, nope."

He later said "They like sneaking these racist ass books with the great white savior in to our schools to f*ck with our black children's self esteem. Not on my watch."

Clearly the book makes my friend uncomfortable. Should it be required reading for his son?

It doesn't sound from your comment that it was required reading. But if it's required in the son's school, your pal should take it up with them at a school board meeting.

It doesn't sound from your comment that it was required reading. But if it's required in the son's school, your pal should take it up with them at a school board meeting.

Jarod was speaking about reading books that make people uncomfortable as a good thing. You are correct my friend's son isn't being forced to read the book. Do you believe my friend has the wrong attitude about the book considering it clearly makes him uncomfortable?

Jarod was speaking about reading books that make people uncomfortable as a good thing. You are correct my friend's son isn't being forced to read the book. Do you believe my friend has the wrong attitude about the book considering it clearly makes him uncomfortable?

I can't say anything about his attitude. The book doesn't make white people look so great either. It portrays life in a small Southern town at the time when racism really was rampant. It doesn't show Atticus Finch as a color-blind hero either. He was just a tad less flawed than the others.

https://newrepublic.com/article/122...been-pointing-out-atticus-finchs-racism-years

I know this thread is long and I haven't read up or followed it. I just wanted to chime in and give my 2 cents worth. I'm against re-writing History, I'm against book burning. Anybody want to 'edit' the Bible?

There are several versions of the Bible.

Back