Barrack Jimma Carter Obama

Now let’s drop the somewhat nebulous “S & P energy sector AVERAGES”, and get to the turkey. From the same, pro-oil company, anti-windfall tax CNn money piece:

"Oil producer BP (BP) reported a 63% increase in profits Tuesday to a whopping $7.6 billion. Royal Dutch Shell's (RDS.B) first-quarter earnings increased 25% to a record $9.1 billion.

Chevron (CVX, Fortune 500) and Apache (APA, Fortune 500) are both expected to post huge increases in profits later this week.

And when Exxon Mobil (XOM, Fortune 500) reports its first-quarter results Thursday, if it doesn't report a record profit, it will come awfully close. Analysts are projecting net income of $11.4 billion. "

Financial firms have around 15-20% margins most of the time. High tech (nasdaq) is much higher.

Don't forget i spent 10 years doing activity based costing and client profitability.

Now sit down and shut the fuck up I am so up to here with Chap whose family is sitting pretty in oil money because they work there, (according to what he said last week, not to mention what his own investments probably are) and Top who is financing his lifestyle with this shit, making stuff up, posting it here as fact, when it is, at best, misleading, as people are actually FUCKING SUFFERING. As in, their kids have very little to eat for dinner tonight, go it?
Here you have one guy who is not eligible for the tax rebate (and go look up who isn’t eligible for that, and then cry for poor chap) whining about the poor oil companies, and you have top who is an oil company whore. And kids, in America, will eat less tonight because of energy prices. Just shut up. Have some shame. Have some shame!

Financial firms have around 15-20% margins most of the time. High tech (nasdaq) is much higher.

Don't forget i spent 10 years doing activity based costing and client profitability.

Who gives a fuck?

That's the S & P averages right there. Stop trying to confuse the issue. You might confuse someone, but that won't be me.

I think you have to look at this in the context of what McCain is proposing, which is a bigger windfall for the oil companies.

On the backs of energy companies? Please.

Maybe they will lower their prices. There are some people who believe that talking windfall tax would incentivise lower gas prices. Gas is at an historic high and so are the profits of oil companies. Theyre not making the same, they're making more. Can you put those two things together? Punch them into your smart phone and see what it says.

They are also PRODUCING more due to HIGHER demand. Their profit margins have not changed all that much. While I agree subsidies should be removed, they should not incorporate a windfall tax. There is NO incentive for the energy companies to simply eat the tax... they will most certainly pass it right along the chain and all those people that are hurting will be hurting even more.

It will RAISE gas prices, not lower them. Gas is at an historic high because DEMAND is at an historic high and the refining capacity has decreased over the past twenty years. Increase in demand, decrease in supply capacity.... equals higher gas prices.

I say we set up windfall taxes on every industry that has a higher profit margin than the oil sector. I mean, god.... why should they be making money at such a fast rate? Lets limit their growth to say 2% profit margins or something like that... :rolleyes:

Now sit down and shut the fuck up I am so up to here with Chap whose family is sitting pretty in oil money because they work there, (according to what he said last week, not to mention what his own investments probably are) and Top who is financing his lifestyle with this shit, making stuff up, posting it here as fact, when it is, at best, misleading, as people are actually FUCKING SUFFERING. As in, their kids have very little to eat for dinner tonight, go it?
Here you have one guy who is not eligible for the tax rebate (and go look up who isn’t eligible for that, and then cry for poor chap) whining about the poor oil companies, and you have top who is an oil company whore. And kids, in America, will eat less tonight because of energy prices. Just shut up. Have some shame. Have some shame!

I dont think it will work or that the govt can be trusted to use the money. Your argument is emotionally based and not factual. How about you explain to me how the oil companies will be like.. "O.K. we will pay more taxes then we will lower the price of oil and hire more people"

Personally i think they will simply cut their internal costs to cover including job layoffs which result in slower output, or they raise their prices. Not to mention they will hire a team of serious lobbiests and lawyers to fight this. Thats just how business works.

My second point is what will the government do with that money? Put it in the general black hole fund?

Why can't we look at each proposal on its own?

You can, but what sense does that make? Usually, when looking at a particular issue (gas prices) in the context of a presidential campaign with two candidates (McCain and Obama) and each candidate has a proposal to deal with the issue (windfall tax and tax holiday) I like to compare the two proposals to see which would be better.

Obama's windfall tax proposal doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Having said that, I think it's a bad policy on balance, but it's decent politics.

Have some common sense. Taxing the energy companies MORE when you do not have an alternative energy replacement means they have the ability to simply turn around and pass that tax onto those very people that you mention are suffering. IT WILL not effect their profit margins. They will simply charge everyone more for their product.

Dhula you dumbass. How much profit is ok in the legislation that you want to put in place. WE invest billions so dumbasses like you can fill up your car without a nano second of doubt that the gas will be their. Let your boy Obama pass a windfall and see if Austrailia or Europe won't be a better place to put our billions or China. If they pump was empty $5gallon would seem like heaven

So let me ask you smart boys something. You can consult your smartphones if need be.

In a time when there is seething and still rising anger over gas prices, you think that the guy who is pushing for an additional tax break for Exxon Mobile is going to win huh?

I feel sorry for both of you because you don't have any idea of what's going on. And, left to your own devices, you would make this situation worse and worse, until finally, the ruling elite was overthrown and they, and you, ended up with your heads on the guillotine, while Madame Defarge knitted and cackled as each of your severed heads hit the ground.

You're right. People would rather vote for the guy who will make the oil companies pass on the cost of a windfall tax onto consumers. Real smart logic. How exactly is a windfall tax going to help the average taxpaying consumer of gas? It won't, stupid.

The oil lobby owns Washington; they own it. They spend tens of millions on lobbying efforts alone.

We're not talking about furniture or used software here. We're talking about a product that is tied into our economic health, national security & survival in such a way that it's naive to think it should just be "part of the free market." For decades now, the oil lobby has fought hard to limit our choices, and further our dependence.

And you idiots argue like we're biting the hand that feeds us, instead of bowing down before our benevolent gods who will take care of us & make sure that things don't get TOO bad. The oil industry is populated with corrupt greedheads who have gouged America to the breaking point. Their efforts to undermine alternatives for the American consumer are nothing short of criminal when you consider the future ramifications.

The oil lobby owns Washington; they own it. They spend tens of millions on lobbying efforts alone.

We're not talking about furniture or used software here. We're talking about a product that is tied into our economic health, national security & survival in such a way that it's naive to think it should just be "part of the free market." For decades now, the oil lobby has fought hard to limit our choices, and further our dependence.

And you idiots argue like we're biting the hand that feeds us, instead of bowing down before our benevolent gods who will take care of us & make sure that things don't get TOO bad. The oil industry is populated with corrupt greedheads who have gouged America to the breaking point. Their efforts to undermine alternatives for the American consumer are nothing short of criminal when you consider the future ramifications.

What do you think an oil windfall profits tax would have on the price of gas?

I think the American people have seen the effects of a nothing but a tax cut platform.

Its the answer to everything when you ask a Republican over the last 20 years.

Are childerns schools are not working: WE NEED A TAX CUT!

The War for oil needs more troops with some real armor: WE NEED A TAX CUT!

Our roads and bridges are crumbling: WE NEED A TAX CUT!

Our people are drowning because the Levee broke: WE NEED A TAX CUT!

The banks who swindled us into massive foreclosure are failing: NEED A TAX CUT!

Our military is beeing run into the ground: WE NEED A TAX CUT!

Guys its the little guys voting in mass this time because they have realized the only ones who truely benfit from the types of tax cuts the Republican party want is the Wealthiest of Americans. You know the ones who can actually afford a tax increase.

What do you think an oil windfall profits tax would have on the price of gas?

Surely, the oil companies would find a way to eventually pass the "loss" onto consumers, which is why a windfall tax would have to be part of a larger strategy for reducing dependence & consumption. A tax like this could be used for investment in public transportation, alternative fuels, R & D on more efficient/flex fuel car models. It could also provide temporary relief to those hit hardest, with things like heating aid to the poor.

The idea is to move forward, and take some positive action; not just throw your hands up, say "well, the oil industy owns us" and sit on your hands.

greedhead lofl lorax.
If the pump was dry you'd suck the oilmans co#k to get a fillup. Your clueless that's why you sell software.
Do a protest for us, go a month without gasoline. ASSWHOLE

Surely, the oil companies would find a way to eventually pass the "loss" onto consumers, which is why a windfall tax would have to be part of a larger strategy for reducing dependence & consumption. A tax like this could be used for investment in public transportation, alternative fuels, R & D on more efficient/flex fuel car models. It could also provide temporary relief to those hit hardest, with things like heating aid to the poor.

The idea is to move forward, and take some positive action; not just throw your hands up, say "well, the oil industy owns us" and sit on your hands.
flex fuel = idiotic.

We subsidize food we then turn it into inefficient fuel, which even at the lower cost after subsidies make it cheaper still negates itself in cost by loss of efficiency. All while starving people because arable land is being used to produce this inane inefficient fuel.

greedhead lofl lorax.
If the pump was dry you'd suck the oilmans co#k to get a fillup. Your clueless that's why you sell software.
Do a protest for us, go a month without gasoline. ASSWHOLE

You're such a fawning groupie of the oil industry. It's embarassing.

Back