Barrack Jimma Carter Obama

I work in the oil industry you faggot, I'm tired of being the whipping boy even republicans are bitching at us.
I'm trying to be the shepard, I'm trying real hard.

I work in the oil industry you faggot, I'm tired of being the whipping boy even republicans are bitching at us.
I'm trying to be the shepard, I'm trying real hard.

Your judgment on this issue is clearly clouded by your position and your defensiveness as a result. You probably shouldn't partake in these kinds of discussions.

There is a point at which people will find another way to work if the cost of fuel is too high.

A windfall tax on gas will like Onceler says can be used to further these options.

The gas co can try to raise it just to compensate but will be harder and harder pressed to get sales.

Who would they sell to instead?

There are only so many markets as big as ours.

Do you really think they would just abandon our market?

Do you really think they would not settle for a smaller profit margin over killing sales and promoting a market that would completetly replace them?

Just give up and let them RULE our world?

Just pay whatever they demand of us?

They are killing our economy for the sake of yet higher profits when they are making record breaking profits already.

Im so tired of this country throwing up their hands and bending over for the energy sector. Heres a clue folks, Im not alone by any means.

Someone should start talking about nationalizing the oil industry so that when these more moderate proposals come up they look downright right-wing by comparison.

there are hardly many dems that can talk business and economics from a standpoint of a college education or business experience. Oncelor and Desh have neither

This thread is getting comical... lets run some numbers and see if this makes sense... all numbers are just hypothetical, they are not based on any specific company.

Say oil company makes $1,000,000,000 in profits. Obama says "windfall tax" of 10%.

So windfall tax would equal $100 million.

Oil companies in turn raise their prices by $100million to cover the tax.... which the consumer then pays via gas purchases.

So in the end we have.... the Government positive 100 million, Oil Companies neutral, and the consumer negative $100 million.

But oh yeah, the Government could give some of that $100 million back to the public or invest it in R&D.

OR the government could simply refrain from taking the $100 million out of the pockets of the public in the first place.

Quite right SF, but we can all feel 'better' cause we stuck it to 'big oil.' :rolleyes: Kinda reminds me of the discussions of those on short buses.

This thread is getting comical... lets run some numbers and see if this makes sense... all numbers are just hypothetical, they are not based on any specific company.

Say oil company makes $1,000,000,000 in profits. Obama says "windfall tax" of 10%.

So windfall tax would equal $100 million.

Oil companies in turn raise their prices by $100million to cover the tax.... which the consumer then pays via gas purchases.

So in the end we have.... the Government positive 100 million, Oil Companies neutral, and the consumer negative $100 million.

But oh yeah, the Government could give some of that $100 million back to the public or invest it in R&D.

OR the government could simply refrain from taking the $100 million out of the pockets of the public in the first place.

Alternatively, the oil companies could stop buying back their stock at such a high clip and cut back on dividends. :dunno:

As I said, I don't particularly like the proposal but it is better than the McCain gas tax holiday.

It just amazes me you dont realize no matter how you structure taxes the little guy pays for them.

So then dont worry about the big corporations so much. Lets tax the ones punitively who are taking massive unnessesary windfall profits.

Then the people can decide to cut back on their produect or not but at least their profits will be tied to fixing our long neglected infrastructure and investiment into alternative energy.

Every product has a price at which it is not worth buying. Lets just take some of that off the top of these assholes because they are taking advantage of a situation which is hurting our country in so many ways.

Alternatively, the oil companies could stop buying back their stock at such a high clip and cut back on dividends. :dunno:

As I said, I don't particularly like the proposal but it is better than the McCain gas tax holiday.

No, this is not better than McCains gas tax holiday. They are both completely moronic.

Eliminating the gas tax may lower prices initially, but will likely lead to an increase in demand which will then in turn push prices right back up again.... thus, the consumers get higher prices and the government loses the revenue.

I have already shown how dumb the windfall tax is above.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080610/BIZ/806100410/1361/UPDATE

The Democrats' energy package also would:

• Make oil and gas price gouging a federal crime, with stiff penalties of up to $5 million during a presidentially declared energy emergency.

• Authorize the Justice Department to bring charges of price fixing against countries that belong to the OPEC oil cartel.

• Require traders to put up more collateral in the energy futures markets to curb speculation.

Desh are you retarded, unnessary profits. thats comical thanks

Dungshit I like my dividend, and let me drill anwr and I won't but they stock back.
What you idiots don't get is millions of Americans make up the oil companies.
They are on average WAY SMARTER THAN YOU

It just amazes me you dont realize no matter how you structure taxes the little guy pays for them.

So then dont worry about the big corporations so much. Lets tax the ones punitively who are taking massive unnessesary windfall profits.

Then the people can decide to cut back on their produect or not but at least their profits will be tied to fixing our long neglected infrastructure and investiment into alternative energy.

Every product has a price at which it is not worth buying. Lets just take some of that off the top of these assholes because they are taking advantage of a situation which is hurting our country in so many ways.

Good thinking. Now let's do the same with agribusiness, they've been making record products, enlarged with subsidies. You first, ok?

who are you talking to?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080610/BIZ/806100410/1361/UPDATE

The Democrats' energy package also would:

• Make oil and gas price gouging a federal crime, with stiff penalties of up to $5 million during a presidentially declared energy emergency.

• Authorize the Justice Department to bring charges of price fixing against countries that belong to the OPEC oil cartel.

• Require traders to put up more collateral in the energy futures markets to curb speculation.

Those in Congress publicly accuse oil companies of gouging the public all the time, bring them up on Capital Hill to try and look good to their constituents back home, and then do nothing about it. They never charge the companies with gouging because they can't prove it.

Again Desh, it is not that they are gouging the consumer. They make less per dollar than many other industries. Yet no one clamors to tax them for windfalls. Why?

These record profits are due to record production which in turn is due to record demand.

Raising taxes on an industry that has no alternative competitor is idiotic at best. It does no good. Unless you are suggesting we should raise energy prices to force people to consume less. "taking it off the top" will not effect them one bit, because they in turn will "take it right out of the pockets of the consumers".

The oil companies are NOT the ones consuming the oil. We are. They are simply producing what we demand they produce. Because our demand exceeds their capacity to produce, prices escalate.

No, this is not better than McCains gas tax holiday. They are both completely moronic.

Eliminating the gas tax may lower prices initially, but will likely lead to an increase in demand which will then in turn push prices right back up again.... thus, the consumers get higher prices and the government loses the revenue.

I have already shown how dumb the windfall tax is above.

I forgot the Superfreak rules: where two things are bad but the considerably worse of the two is Republican, the two things are the same.

Back