Bottom 20% spend $1.90 for $1.00 in wages

Only if one is not serious about addressing the problem.

There are a plethora of credible organizations from which one can correctly ascertain the state of poverty and poor in America, and there are a variety of ways to work with those institutions on addressing the problem.

John Edwards has good proposals.
There is also the reality that some of that disconnect is because the programs we use to get food to people who need it are, for a large part, working. Even to the point that some of those same poor can afford to purchase luxury items.

I got that quote from BAC's.

So, you might have "known" that was what I was saying. But it sure wasn't universal.

You got that quote from your article Damo, I already read it yesterday. Would you give it up? Trying to present poor people as living it up, is just Ronald Reagan’s fictional and mythical cadallic-driving welfare queen. It’s sickening.

See my above post to Good Luck and pay particular attention to the caveat.

It appears that you didn't read the article, because the caveat validates exactly what I'm talking about. YOUR article isn't about poor people and it doesn't address the needs of the poor, or even chronicle them correctly.

There are REAL poor people in America and comparing them to Ethiopians is nothing more than a dodge from taking a serious look at the problem.
And IF you read my post you would have seen I recognized that. Ignoring what I write to say things like this shows you have a disconnect with what people say when compared to what you want them to mean.

It also shows that your refusal to read the article notwithstanding your attempt to diffuse it with statements like "that article about poor people isn't about poor people" is ridiculous.

You got that quote from your article Damo, I already read it yesterday. Would you give it up? Trying to present poor people as living it up, is just Ronald Reagan’s fictional and mythical cadallic-driving welfare queen. It’s sickening.
I didn't. I got that quote from BAC's quote boxes inside one of his posts.

At least that's a coherent argument, although I would rely on institutions, groups, and organizations who support, work with, and monitor the poor to make judgements on who is actually poor. I seriously doubt the statistics from institutions like the Heritage Foundation and I seriously doubt that many poor people are watching premium cable channels, that 40% own their own homes, that 30% have 2 cars, or that a third have automatic dishwashers or have 2 rooms per person.

That's a report concucted to suit an agenda, not one designed to chronicle the life of poor Americans.

Here is an important caveat to that report which you may have missed ...

[/b]

This report isn't talking about poor people or poverty, just those who have fallen belown almost $19,000.

If you want to know about hunger and poverty in America, go here ...
http://www.secondharvest.org/learn_about_hunger/fact_sheet/

Darla,

Go to the post linked here. Read the second quote box, read the last line. You will find where I got that quote from.

here is what I see in the second quote box:

Current Statistics

Over 9 million children are estimated to be served by the America's Second Harvest Network, over two million of which are ages five and under, representing nearly 13% of all children under age 18 in the United States and over 72% of all children in poverty.

According to the USDA, an estimated 12.6 million children lived in food insecure (low food security and very low food security) households in 2006 [ii]

Proper nutrition is vital to the growth and development of children, particularly for low-income children. Sixty-two percent of all client households with children under the age of 18 participated in a school lunch program, but only 13% participated in a summer feeding program that provides free food when school is out. [iii]

Fifty-one percent of client households with children under the age of three participated in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). [iv]

Nearly 41% of emergency food providers in the America's Second Harvest Network reported "many more children in the summer" being served by their programs. [v]

Emergency food assistance plays a vital role in the lives of low-income families. In 2002, over half of the nonelderly families that accessed a food pantry at least once during the year had children under the age of 18. [vi]

12.8 million or approximately 17.4% of children in the U.S. live in poverty. The rate of poverty for children under 18 remains higher than those aged 18- to- 64 and for those aged 65 and over. [vii]

Research indicates that even mild undernutrition experienced by young children during critical periods of growth impacts the behavior of children, their school performance, and their overall cognitive development. [x]

In fiscal year 2005, 50% of children were food stamp recipients. [xi]

During the 2005 federal fiscal year, 17.5 million low-income children received free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program. Unfortunately, just under two million of these same income-eligible children participated in the Summer Food Service Program that same year. [xii]

And Damo, I don’t care where you got it from, presenting poor people in America as Topper’s fictional fat and happy lower-socio-economic classes, is just bs.

That is all you have tried to do on this thread. Claim that liberals “exaggerate” the problem and thus lose support. While in truth, it is you and conservative organizations like the Heritage, who attempt to revitalize the myth of the welfare queen, and claim that America’s poor are all eating too much and buying dvd players. (which now cost 30 bucks in walmart by the way).

here is what I see in the second quote box:

Current Statistics

Over 9 million children are estimated to be served by the America's Second Harvest Network, over two million of which are ages five and under, representing nearly 13% of all children under age 18 in the United States and over 72% of all children in poverty.

According to the USDA, an estimated 12.6 million children lived in food insecure (low food security and very low food security) households in 2006 [ii]

Proper nutrition is vital to the growth and development of children, particularly for low-income children. Sixty-two percent of all client households with children under the age of 18 participated in a school lunch program, but only 13% participated in a summer feeding program that provides free food when school is out. [iii]

Fifty-one percent of client households with children under the age of three participated in the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). [iv]

Nearly 41% of emergency food providers in the America's Second Harvest Network reported "many more children in the summer" being served by their programs. [v]

Emergency food assistance plays a vital role in the lives of low-income families. In 2002, over half of the nonelderly families that accessed a food pantry at least once during the year had children under the age of 18. [vi]

12.8 million or approximately 17.4% of children in the U.S. live in poverty. The rate of poverty for children under 18 remains higher than those aged 18- to- 64 and for those aged 65 and over. [vii]

Research indicates that even mild undernutrition experienced by young children during critical periods of growth impacts the behavior of children, their school performance, and their overall cognitive development. [x]

In fiscal year 2005, 50% of children were food stamp recipients. [xi]

During the 2005 federal fiscal year, 17.5 million low-income children received free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program. Unfortunately, just under two million of these same income-eligible children participated in the Summer Food Service Program that same year. [xii]

BS that is what you saw in the second quote box to the post I linked to with the quote.

Now you are deliberately lying.

I will quote the entire post now, including the quote boxes inside it so that you can see I quoted what he was quoting.

I get tired of deliberate obtuse posts like this crap.

Maybe one of the points is that many of whom we classify as poor should not be classified as poor.

Now there are people in the U.S. who are in a bad way. Those people need help, and I am all for helping them, as are most people involved in this discussion.

But then there are those who are NOT in a bad way, but somehow our system classifies them as poor also, primarily because they are not spending their income wisely. If a household needs help putting food on the table, what the HELL are they doing paying for cable, in many cases including premium channels? Why do they even have a TV? Sell the damned thing and buy some groceries.

Classifying people as poor who are not truly poor results two major problems. First, it stresses assistance programs by providing assistance that is, essentially, wasted. That assistance could go in larger amounts to those who truly need it, instead of being stretch to transparency providing food and rent assistance to people so they can watch HBO.

Second, it simply encourages continued poor spending habits, thus delaying the effort at giving people a hand up. The more we give in assistance, the more is wasted. People receive food stamps, and go out shopping to purchase types of food many middle income people avoid as too expensive. They receive rent assistance, leaving their income free to buy cable TV and other non-necessities.

Mean while those that really need the assistance are doing without even the base necessities because our resources are tied up assisting people who are not really poor.

At least that's a coherent argument, although I would rely on institutions, groups, and organizations who support, work with, and monitor the poor to make judgements on who is actually poor. I seriously doubt the statistics from institutions like the Heritage Foundation and I seriously doubt that many poor people are watching premium cable channels, that 40% own their own homes, that 30% have 2 cars, or that a third have automatic dishwashers or have 2 rooms per person.

That's a report concucted to suit an agenda, not one designed to chronicle the life of poor Americans.

Here is an important caveat to that report which you may have missed ...

The Census Bureau defines an individual as poor if his or her family income falls below certain specified income thresholds. These thresholds vary by family size. In 2002, a family of four was deemed poor if its annual income fell below $18,556; a family of three was deemed poor if annual income was below $14,702. There are a number of problems with the Census Bureau's poverty figures: Census undercounts income, ignores assets accumulated in prior years, and disregards non-cash welfare such as food stamps and public housing in its official count of income. However, the most important problem with Census figures is that, even if a family's income falls below the official poverty thresholds, the family's actual living conditions are likely to be far higher than the image most Americans have in mind when they hear the word "poverty."

This report isn't talking about poor people or poverty, just those who have fallen belown almost $19,000.

If you want to know about hunger and poverty in America, go here ...
http://www.secondharvest.org/learn_about_hunger/fact_sheet/

The bolding in that second quote box was his.

This is the bs you have been posting Damo. And it really is disgusting that you would believe any of this from this highly agenda-driven source. 76% of poor people have air-conditioning do they? I personally know many people who aren't even poor who dont have it. What liars.

Some interesting statistics about poor people in the US....

# Forty-six percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

# Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

# Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

# The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

# Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

# Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

# Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

# Seventy-three percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.

This is the bs you have been posting Damo. And it really is disgusting that you would believe any of this from this highly agenda-driven source. 76% of poor people have air-conditioning do they? I personally know many people who aren't even poor who dont have it. What liars.

Some interesting statistics about poor people in the US....

# Forty-six percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

# Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

# Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

# The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

# Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

# Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

# Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

# Seventy-three percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.
That is what I posted. Of the people the census bureau reports to be poor those statistics are real. I believe that they are because we have programs to help those people.

The bolding in that second quote box was his.

Dumbass, you told me to go to the link and look at the second quote box, which is what I did. Now, you have totally lost me. Do you even read what you write? How the fuck would I find something that bac wrote at the harvest link? You really stupify me more and more every day.

that's some pretty sobering statistics on the family of four living on 18,000
I may have to own this one as wrong. I can't fathom the stuggle it must be

that's some pretty sobering statistics on the family of four living on 18,000
I may have to own this one as wrong. I can't fathom the stuggle it must be

Do you believe for one moment that even if there should be an old air-conditioning unit in an apartment they have rented they can afford to turn it on?

The overcrowded houshold thing is growing. Has no one else read all the articles about children living with parents longer and moving back in and bringing their children with them ?

Maybe everyone who is middle class in this thread should leave. If you are middle class telling the poor they are happy, you are wrong. If you are middle class telling the poor you have their best interests in mind, you are wrong. If you are middle class telling the poor you feel their pain, you don't.

Dumbass, you told me to go to the link and look at the second quote box, which is what I did. Now, you have totally lost me. Do you even read what you write? How the fuck would I find something that bac wrote at the harvest link? You really stupify me more and more every day.

I told you to go to the post linked by the quote of BAC's and to read his second quote box.

I was very clear.

I took that quote from BAC's post, not from my article.

I don't for one moment believe it.

And this is exactly where we started out. And now where we ended back up. Are we done yet?
I do, we have programs that help poor people in the US. Some of them are very successful.

When growing up where I did, most of the people I knew had microwave ovens yet were poor.

That you don't want to believe that we have some success with our current programs and wish to believe that all those people don't have anything you would be wrong.

Back