Confucianism takes on Buddhism & Daoism

what is the ethical system of confucianism, just generally.

sum it up for us all in a general yet concise way.

what wrong with knowing what suffering means exactly?

"Us"? How many personalities is your mind split into?

I spent many hours and spent good money to acquire knowledge about Confucianism. If you want me to teach you Confucianism you're going to have to pay me tuition.

The core ethical system of Confucianism boils down to filial piety, Ren or altruism, cultivation of knowledge, cultivation of exemplary character, practice of correct ritual, and remonstrance

"Us"? How many personalities is your mind split into?

I spent many hours and spent good money to acquire knowledge about Confucianism. If you want me to teach you Confucianism you're going to have to pay me tuition.

The core ethical system of Confucianism boils down to filial piety, Ren or altruism, cultivation of knowledge, cultivation of exemplary character, practice of correct ritual, and remonstrance

yep. a trove of glittering generalities...

what is exemplary character?

does confucianism care about relieving individual suffering?

your fucked up attitude proves how gay confucianism is.

you got taken for a ride on paying for confucianism classes. lol.

what a maroon.

IMO, both Tibetan and Theravada Buddhism have skewed away from the original ideas of Buddha just as Evangelistas and the KKK have skewed away from Christianity.

Zen comes closest to what Buddha was teaching.

I think Theravada is the oldest, and closest in time of origin to when the Buddha actually lived, but I have no ability to say which form of Buddhism is purest

I think Theravada is the oldest, and closest in time of origin to when the Buddha actually lived, but I have no ability to say which form of Buddhism is purest

True, but even Catholicism has evolved over the millennia. Like Theravada, much more ritualistic and more about the religion itself, IMO, than about the original purpose.

Although Zen came later, I believe it's a turn back to the original concepts of Siddhartha Gautama.

Please cite some examples of Universal absolutes of right and wrong. By absolute, do you mean only with humans or for all species in the Universe?

In this context, it is generally taken to mean something which is broadly applicable to humans, aka universal health insurance.

True, but even Catholicism has evolved over the millennia. Like Theravada, much more ritualistic and more about the religion itself, IMO, than about the original purpose.

Although Zen came later, I believe it's a turn back to the original concepts of Siddhartha Gautama.

A good insight because it's important to remember that Jesus didn't found the religion of Christianity nor did the Buddha found the religion of Buddhism.

Christianity and Buddhism were founded and evolved after their deaths by people trying to understand the meaning of Jesus' and Siddhartha's lives.

A good insight because it's important to remember that Jesus didn't found the religion of Christianity nor did the Buddha found the religion of Buddhism.

Christianity and Buddhism were founded and evolved after their deaths by people trying to understand the meaning of Jesus' and Siddhartha's lives.

And that makes them better.

Obviously haven't read Acts or you would know Jesus returned from the dead,and ascended to Heaven to return the same way.

In this context, it is generally taken to mean something which is broadly applicable to humans, aka universal health insurance.

He should be careful in the use of "universal". Gravity is a universal constant even if it varies in some regions. Human morality not so much.

Agreed. The problem is when the "religion" diverges from the source's ideology.

The self-named Christians who support killing minorities and subjugating women are not walking in the path of Jesus.

Han Yu (768–824), born shortly after the An Lushan Rebellion, was a government official and extraordinary writer who tried to re-create the simple and direct literary style of ancient Chinese. In 805, he wrote “Essentials of the Moral Way” (or “An Inquiry on the Dao”), an essay that suggested Chinese civilization should be defined by Confucianism.

Han Yu criticized both Daoism and Buddhism: The world is real; there are absolute standards of right and wrong; and people have responsibilities to Family, nation, and society.

The real dao is the way of the ancient sage-kings.
Buddhism was a superstitious religion that brought chaos to Chinese culture. Han Yu was exiled for his beliefs.

Source credit- Grant Hardy Professor of philosophy and religious studies

This is the core ethical system of the Neo-confucian philosopher Zhu Xi -->

When you engage your mind in an investigation of things, knowledge is extended.

When knowledge is extended, your thinking becomes clear.

When your thinking becomes clear, you can rectify yourself; you can cultivate your own moral qualities.

When your moral qualities are cultivated, you will be able to properly order your family.

When your family is properly ordered, you will be able to govern your state well.

When you govern your state well, you will be able to bring order to the world.

He should be careful in the use of "universal". Gravity is a universal constant even if it varies in some regions. Human morality not so much.

When the UN adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, they were using the context of something that applies to humanity, but not to the Andromeda Galaxy.

I think any discussion of universal rights or ethics is using the word in the same context.

When the UN adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, they were using the context of something that applies to humanity, but not to the Andromeda Galaxy.

I think any discussion of universal rights or ethics is using the word in the same context.

No doubt their verbiage clarified it. IDK. The Declaration of Independence pointed out unalienable rights of man.

Sorry but disagreed; when discussing Universal Laws, it's important to distinguish between humanity and physics.

you mean devolved.

No doubt their verbiage clarified it. IDK. The Declaration of Independence pointed out unalienable rights of man.

Sorry but disagreed; when discussing Universal Laws, it's important to distinguish between humanity and physics.
It would be nice if English had more words and was less confusing but I don't make the rules, I just follow them :)

Oxford Dictionary
Universal --> of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world or in a particular group; applicable to all cases; aka "universal adult suffrage"

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionar...text=/ˌjuːnɪˈvɜːrsl/,or in a particular group

It would be nice if English had more words and was less confusing but I don't make the rules, I just follow them :)

Oxford Dictionary
Universal --> of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world or in a particular group; applicable to all cases; aka "universal adult suffrage"

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionar...text=/ˌjuːnɪˈvɜːrsl/,or in a particular group

Note "universal adult..." Oxford knows to qualify it rather than stating "universal suffrage".

Back