Democrats have fixed the economy. But that won’t be enough to defeat populism.

I wouldn't say it's "fixed," but they have done a good job of improving things from the economic disaster that the worst jobs President in modern American history left for them.

I do not understand how anyone can think a Republican is better for the economy after the past 30+ years. There is simply no comparison at all.

I wouldn't say it's "fixed," but they have done a good job of improving things from the economic disaster that the worst jobs President in modern American history left for them.

I do not understand how anyone can think a Republican is better for the economy after the past 30+ years. There is simply no comparison at all.
If Trump voters thought in those terms we would all be better off, but they don't. Whatever excuses or distortions have to be made on policy or anything else will be made so as not to be in the way of what matters, and we know what that is.

Many commentators argue that the Trump phenomenon is a fluke, fueled by his celebrity and almost cultlike following. Some of that is true. But right-wing populism isn’t going anywhere. It is being fueled by a deep backlash against the economic, political and cultural openness of the past few decades — and the urban elites supporting those trends.

An economic depression is not a "good economy".

Back