Dixie

The "South" isn't any more racist than other inanimate region of land.

Some of the people who live there are racist, however. Just like verywhere else.

Some of the people who live there are racist, however. Just like verywhere else.

However, the people here are disproportionately racist compared to other "inanimate region(s) of land" in the US.

Give me a fucking break. Is the only way you can deflect away from the obvious truth to split hairs about word choice? The South is capitalized as a region of the country and is representative of a culture, a people, a history, and includes people like Dixie (who's moniker is a Southern commander carrying the stars and bars, as though he's lamenting the fact that the south lost the war... to which one can only draw one conclusion).

I have travelled a lot in my years. I have seen a big difference between the racism of the south and the racism of the northeast.

In the south you are more likely to find someone who will talk badly about an entire race. But these same people will be friends with, and even very helpful and friendly to individuals of that same race.

In the north you are less likely to find someone who will talk badly about an entire race. But these same individuals won't hire this same race. And they will cross the street rather than walk by them. And if blacks get caught walking in the wrong neighborhood they get beaten to death.

Give me a fucking break. Is the only way you can deflect away from the obvious truth to split hairs about word choice? The South is capitalized as a region of the country and is representative of a culture, a people, a history, and includes people like Dixie (who's moniker is a Southern commander carrying the stars and bars, as though he's lamenting the fact that the south lost the war... to which one can only draw one conclusion).

Also, "dixie" is a song about how a former slave freed by the evil northern aggressors was lamenting the good ole' plantation days in Dixieland.

I have travelled a lot in my years. I have seen a big difference between the racism of the south and the racism of the northeast.

In the south you are more likely to find someone who will talk badly about an entire race. But these same people will be friends with, and even very helpful and friendly to individuals of that same race.

In the north you are less likely to find someone who will talk badly about an entire race. But these same individuals won't hire this same race. And they will cross the street rather than walk by them. And if blacks get caught walking in the wrong neighborhood they get beaten to death.

I think my teacher said something exactly like that, quoting, I think, Walter Williams. Walter Williams, of course, is a bastard who hates his own people.

I'm sure if you want to reach back to 1950s or something you could make that case.

But our generation here in the South is at least as tolerant as our Northern counterparts. Probably moreso, since white Southerners coexist with a much larger black population than Northern whites do. There is only so long you can harbor an irrational hate for a race if you encounter them daily on friendly terms.

I know how you all love anecdotal evidence, but my old roommate was from Michigan. He tended to talk a lot about "niggers" so one day I asked him how many black people were in his highschool class. Turns out there were 2 in his class of almost 300.

That is fucking amazing to a Southerner. My school was 80% black. I've had black friends since I could speak. If you were a white racist at my school, you were definitely going to get an asskicking from the black racists. But for the most part, we all got along. It's easier to discard prejudices about a race if you encounter hundreds of them instead of say, 2.

I didn't mean to imply that there were lots of racists in the south or the north.

I was just referring to the difference between the racism I have seen up north and the in the south.

what is the point of this finger pointing and name calling? Does it make you feel better or something?

IBdumb is a fucking asshole

I just want to watch Dixie do a dance.

And luckily, you found three other southerners who actually answered your question with straight faces.

I guess we should have just done a little southern jig?

Sorry, Sol don't dance for men. Check with WM.

I find, when people use broad generalizations applied to an entire group of people, they are most often consumed with ignorant intolerant bigotry. They are the type of people who will often apply broad generalization to other groups as well... all blacks... all jews... all hispanics... etc. It is an indicator of your character, that you would assume such a generalization in the first place.

While there are racists everywhere, and certainly in the South, I don't think the overall 'racist' problem is confined to the South, nor are all Southerners racist. In fact, I would argue that most Southerners are not racist, if for no other reason than their upbringing in an environment of knowledge to counter the ignorance.

You see, when Northerner's go to school and learn their state history, they hear about the various heroes and prominent people of their state, and they hear about accomplishments and achievements made by their state. In Alabama, you are taught about Civil Rights, the Civil Rights struggle, Dr. Martin Luther King's march from Selma to Montgomery, the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the Birmingham riots and church bombing, Bull Connor... George Wallace standing in the schoolhouse door. You learn of all the shameful episodes of our state's role in Civil Rights. This is our history, and every school kid in Alabama is taught about it, educated about it, and instilled with knowledge about it. Knowledge defeats ignorance most of the time, and ignorance is the source of bigotry and racism. Precisely because we grew up being inundated with the stigmas of our past, most Alabamians of MY generation, understand racism and are not racist in any way shape or form. Are there still some racists here? Sure, there are racist people everywhere, because ignorant intolerant bigotry, the kind that prompted you to post this thread, is hard to combat and defeat.

Okay, let me see if I can get you to answer the question by rephrasing it to be a little less scary:

Is the South more racist than the rest of the country, on average?

Ps.
Who won the Civil War?

Hard to say. But one thing is certain. you fit the mold of what Dixie was talking about. You learned in books about racism and now you're out to find out for yourself if it's true. Golly jeepers!

I've seen racism. I've lived in the South. I've worked in the South. It aint all text books badmouthing the South.

Dixie, am I more racist than you are?

I think you are, because you are clearly an intolerant bigot who believes in ignorant broad-based generalizations. Will you admit it? No fucking way! Intolerant bigoted racists never admit they are! You will hide behind inflammatory slime from the past, in some attempt to show YOU are not racist, because YOU didn't come from Alabama! You think that somehow lets you off the hook and clears you from any possible racist implication, because you are ignorant.

Back