Dixie

You know guys like me would have been hung (or their girlfriends would have been) for miscegenation in your state not too long ago.

You would have been beaten, hung or outcast in lots of places besides the south.

People have been killed for that in NY & NJ as recently as the 60s & early 70s.

I think you are gravely mistaken in your hatred for the south. I think you have focused on a single item of history and ignored anything that doesn't fit that antiquated idea.

Okay, let me see if I can get you to answer the question by rephrasing it to be a little less scary:

Is the South more racist than the rest of the country, on average?

Ps.
Who won the Civil War?
The answers to your question are;

#1. No, not really. Racism just takes different forms in other regions and is often worse than in the south.

#2. The North lost the Civil War.......we got to keep the South! :rolleyes:

The answers to your question are;

#1. No, not really. Racism just takes different forms in other regions and is often worse than in the south.

#2. The North lost the Civil War.......we got to keep the South! :rolleyes:

lol

And here I thought you were an intelligent guy. :cof1:

Wiseguy, in order to help you combat your ignorance, I have compiled the following list of racial riots in America since WWI.... I think most people alive today, were born after this time, so we won't go back to the Civil War. The list is interesting, not just because it shows how racial turmoil has permeated our entire country, but also because it shows the vast majority of racial unrest has been in places other than the traditional deep south.

1917: East St. Louis, Illinois
1917: Chester, Pennsylvania
1917: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1917: Houston Riot (1917)
Red Summer of 1919 (North and South)
1919: Washington, D.C.
1919: Chicago, Illinois
1919: Omaha, Nebraska
1919: Charleston, South Carolina
1919: Longview, Texas
1919: Knoxville, Tennessee
1919: Elaine, Arkansas
1921: Tulsa, Oklahoma
1923: Rosewood Massacre (Florida)
1935: Harlem Race Riot
1943: Detroit Race Riot
1943: Harlem Race Riot
1943: Zoot Suit Riots, Los Angeles, California

1964:
Rochester 1964 race riot; Rochester, New York - July
New York City 1964 riot; New York City, New York - July
Philadelphia 1964 race riot; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - August

1965:
Watts Riot; Los Angeles, California - August

1966:
Hough Riots; Cleveland, Ohio - July
Hunter's Point Riot; San Francisco
Chicago Race Riot; Chicago, Illinois -January

1967:
1967 Newark riots; Newark, New Jersey - July
12th Street riot; Detroit, Michigan - July
1967 Plainfield riots; Plainfield, New Jersey - July
Milwaukee riot; Milwaukee, Wisconsin - July 30-31
Minneapolis North Side Riots; Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota - August

1968:
Orangeburg massacre; Orangeburg, South Carolina
--125 cities in April and May, in response to the murder of Martin Luther King, Jr. including:
Baltimore riot of 1968; Baltimore Maryland
1968 Washington, D.C. riots; Washington, D.C.
1968 New York City riot; New York City, New York
1968 West Side Riots; Chicago, Illinois
Louisville riots of 1968; Louisville, Kentucky
1970: Jackson State killings; Jackson, Mississippi - May
1972: Escambia High School riots; Pensacola, Florida
1977:New York City Blackout riot
1980: Miami
1991: Crown Heights Riot
1992: Los Angeles
2001: 2001 Cincinnati Riots
2001: Seattle Mardi Gras Riots

So tell us Wiseguy, what kind of lies do you tell yourself to refute these facts?

Dixie, this is good information to a point.

But in the south in the 40s & 50s, a race riot would have been put down quickly and violently.

Look at Bull Conner's response to a peaceful demonstration.

Dixie, this is good information to a point.

But in the south in the 40s & 50s, a race riot would have been put down quickly and violently.

Look at Bull Conner's response to a peaceful demonstration.

Yes, but the same sort of thing happened in the North as well. The contention was, the South has some sort of exclusive on racism and racial turmoil, and there is no facts to support that idea. This list confirms what I have argued from the beginning, not that the South is innocent of racism, but that the North is just as guilty, if not, more so.

You seem to be taking wiseguys approach here, and finding some way to twist the facts into something to support your myth, that the South is really who is racist in America. That isn't the case, and it will never be the case, the truth is always going to be what it is.

Sure, blacks would have been lynched before they had a chance to riot in some parts of the South... 60 fuckin' years ago! Not today! Not in THIS century! In fact, look at the list from 'modern times' and see how many Southern cities you see there? Seems if the South was full of all these damn racists, there would have at least been a few riots in that time. Not the case... instead, we see the LA Police nearly beat a black man to death in the street... while pricks like wiseguy strut around calling Alabamians racists.

Yes, but the same sort of thing happened in the North as well. The contention was, the South has some sort of exclusive on racism and racial turmoil, and there is no facts to support that idea. This list confirms what I have argued from the beginning, not that the South is innocent of racism, but that the North is just as guilty, if not, more so.

You seem to be taking wiseguys approach here, and finding some way to twist the facts into something to support your myth, that the South is really who is racist in America. That isn't the case, and it will never be the case, the truth is always going to be what it is.

Sure, blacks would have been lynched before they had a chance to riot in some parts of the South... 60 fuckin' years ago! Not today! Not in THIS century! In fact, look at the list from 'modern times' and see how many Southern cities you see there? Seems if the South was full of all these damn racists, there would have at least been a few riots in that time. Not the case... instead, we see the LA Police nearly beat a black man to death in the street... while pricks like wiseguy strut around calling Alabamians racists.

Read what I have posted Dixie. I am not taking the point that the south is more racist. I was just pointing out that your numbers, while helpful, are really not proof.

And if you are going to go with "60 fuckin' years ago!", then why post numbers from 1917 to 1943?? That is even worse.

Ib1 is a stupid fuck hope he does become a bullet catcher.
Ibtostupidtofinish college, what's the percentage of blacks in the south vs where you live ahole.

Read what I have posted Dixie. I am not taking the point that the south is more racist. I was just pointing out that your numbers, while helpful, are really not proof.

And if you are going to go with "60 fuckin' years ago!", then why post numbers from 1917 to 1943?? That is even worse.

There are no numbers posted except year numbers. This is a list of all documented instances of racial rioting in the US from WWI to present. It does indeed prove what it intended to prove, which was, the North is not without it's LONG history of racial turmoil due to racism. What did your mis-perception think I was trying to prove?

I went back to 1917 because Wiseguy goes back to the Civil War! I figured it was pretty safe to assume, not many of us were around before WWI, so we don't bear much responsibility as a society for what happened before then. If you would like, I could dig up the records on how many blacks were mass-murdered in the North following the Civil War...see, they didn't bother with the trouble of individual lynchings up there, they just slaughtered entire black neighborhoods and burned them to the ground. Feared the recently freed slaves would take their jobs. These are Wiseguy's ancestors.

There are no numbers posted except year numbers. This is a list of all documented instances of racial rioting in the US from WWI to present. It does indeed prove what it intended to prove, which was, the North is not without it's LONG history of racial turmoil due to racism. What did your mis-perception think I was trying to prove?

I went back to 1917 because Wiseguy goes back to the Civil War! I figured it was pretty safe to assume, not many of us were around before WWI, so we don't bear much responsibility as a society for what happened before then. If you would like, I could dig up the records on how many blacks were mass-murdered in the North following the Civil War...see, they didn't bother with the trouble of individual lynchings up there, they just slaughtered entire black neighborhoods and burned them to the ground. Feared the recently freed slaves would take their jobs. These are Wiseguy's ancestors.

Dixie, take a deep breath and relax. I am not arguing that the south is more racist. I was just pointing out that you posted showing race riots back to 1917, and then blasted me for talking about shit that happened 60 years ago.

And my point that race riots would have been put down hard in the 40s and 50s is completely valid, since it addresses the comparison to the years you listed.

Also, "dixie" is a song about how a former slave freed by the evil northern aggressors was lamenting the good ole' plantation days in Dixieland.
How does song written before the event, celebrate the event?

Dixie, take a deep breath and relax. I am not arguing that the south is more racist. I was just pointing out that you posted showing race riots back to 1917, and then blasted me for talking about shit that happened 60 years ago.

And my point that race riots would have been put down hard in the 40s and 50s is completely valid, since it addresses the comparison to the years you listed.

Sol, the list was not given as an accurate comparison of racism, it was given to show the amount of racism in the North, and it does show a history of it. Even if you want to use it as a comparison, look at the list from 1968 to present, I think it's safe to say, after 1968, the Southern white bigots weren't able to silence black dissent as they did in the 40's and 50's anymore... so why aren't the riots from 1968-present more evenly split? Why is it, the only places in RECENT history, where we have racial turmoil, is in NORTHERN cities?

Here's what you seem to be missing, Wiseguy is a prejudiced bigot because he believes the South is racist. Most of us are attempting to combat his ignorance by showing him the South is no more racist than the North. We are not trying to prove the South is devoid of racism, or even that the South has less racism, only that the North is just as racist. If you want to take his side because he is a fellow pinhead and he's arguing against me, that's fine, just say so, but if you don't agree with him that the South is racist and the North isn't, you should try to keep things in context.

I lived in Valdosta, GA and Lexington, KY(some don't consider it South), and Shreveport, LA. I've spent a few months in Mississipi, Florida, and North Carolina.

I have also lived in AZ, SD, WA, NV, CA, TX, and spent alot of time in other states.

In my experience, the South is much more racist than anywhere else I've ever lived. by a huge, wide margin.

Mi has below the national average Bullet catcher.
Louisiana has over 30% almost 3x the national average.

I lived in Valdosta, GA and Lexington, KY(some don't consider it South), and Shreveport, LA. I've spent a few months in Mississipi, Florida, and North Carolina.

I have also lived in AZ, SD, WA, NV, CA, TX, and spent alot of time in other states.

In my experience, the South is much more racist than anywhere else I've ever lived. by a huge, wide margin.

See, here is the problem, your perceptions are based on your experience with the people you were in contact with. You can't make a valid assessment of an overall region of the country, based on your limited experience with the small number of people you personally encountered. First of all, these examples of 'racism' in the South, were they people who were born and raised in the South, or were they bigots who moved here from up North? We don't know this information, and I doubt you know. To be fair, you can't make this assessment for the North anymore than you can the South, it is solely dependent on the limited number of individuals you personally encountered, and even then, doesn't factor where they came from originally.

You can certainly have the perception a certain region is "more racist" based on your experience, but this is what breeds ignorance. If I go out to eat at Olive Garden, and the service is poor and my waiter is rude, does this mean Olive Garden is a shitty place to eat because the service sux? Or does it mean, I just had a bad experience, and Olive Garden in general, is just as good a place to eat as any? What is important to remember is, everyone is different... everyone has their own opinion... and racism is not confined to a geographic region of our country.

Back