Does religion make people stupid?

Why Are Religious People (Generally) Less Intelligent?​

Understanding the negative relationship between IQ and religiosity​

1. Intelligent people are generally more analytical and data-driven, and formal religions are the antithesis:

2. Intelligent people are less likely to conform, and, in most societies, religiosity is closer to the norm than atheism is.

Both are true.

A question for religious people:

Do people not subscribing to your religion diminish its value? Does everyone have to believe it in order for it to be valid?

So, I wasn't making it up?
At least you acknowledge they DO worship the sun.

So, a Lutheran school probably doesn't want Satan worshippers in their school. Hence they were removed.
Yes, you were making it up. They are not worshipping the sun.

What has philosophy ever done for us?

Philosophy has a knack for implanting counterfactual questions that might have not arisen otherwis
e: questions of “What might have been if…?” While other disciplines do arguably have a capacity for counterfactual modelling, philosophy raises “what if” questions in an exploratory way, with rigour and yet without falling into the rabbit hole of what is pre-empted by the methodological orthodoxies of other disciplines.

Yes, you were making it up. They are not worshipping the sun.
Right, they're just performing a ceremony, at SUNrise, based on the wife of a Sun god and, coincidentally, native American's are widely known to worship not only sun gods but gods related to other aspects of nature. What an incredible coincidence. I know, as an atheist, rarely do my family and I go a month without performing some kind of ritual related to Zeus, Aphrodite, etc.

Right, they're just performing a ceremony, at SUNrise, based on the wife of a Sun god and, coincidentally, native American's are widely known to worship not only sun gods but gods related to other aspects of nature. What an incredible coincidence. I know, as an atheist, rarely do my family and I go a month without performing some kind of ritual related to Zeus, Aphrodite, etc.
It is a shame you think their respect for nature is evil.

Did I quote you? No. Seriously, learn how to debate.
Yes and I never said anything was evil.

For the first 12 years of her life, Caitlyn looked forward to having her own dance – a sacred coming-of-age experience celebrating the transition from girlhood to womanhood. It’s a great financial sacrifice for the family. Over four days, a girl’s community prays for her. They offer her gifts and witness her as she participates in rituals symbolizing her maturity and growth. A medicine man presides over the event, praying and singing with holy members of the community called Crown Dancers, who recite the creation story to the audience.

Nothing about worshipping the sun.

Bruce Burnette, a White Mountain Apache medicine man – a spiritual leader endowed with traditional knowledge of healing – oversees these dances. Burnette explained:“It’s about the girl. The Sunrise Dance is not for today, not for tomorrow. It is fixing the room for her, fixing the road to success. The reason why it is so important is that a woman has got to be strong to move on the path to what she is going to become.”

Bruce Burnette, a White Mountain Apache medicine man – a spiritual leader endowed with traditional knowledge of healing – oversees these dances. Burnette explained:“It’s about the girl. The Sunrise Dance is not for today, not for tomorrow. It is fixing the room for her, fixing the road to success. The reason why it is so important is that a woman has got to be strong to move on the path to what she is going to become.”

The Apache Sunrise Dance is a four-day female coming-of-age ceremony, in which a girl temporarily becomes Changing Woman, the first lady and mother of her people. It is a significant and highly spiritual event for both the girl and the entire Apache community.

Navajo Sun Bearer: Exploring the Sacred Mythology of the Southwest

Navajo Sun Bearer is a significant figure in Navajo mythology. Known as Tsohanoai
, this sacred being carries the sun across the sky every day. Depicted as a blue disk with eyes, mouth, and sometimes horns, Tsohanoai is also represented as a person in sand paintings.

He is recognized to have a wife, Changing Woman, and multiple illegitimate children. In one instance, Changing Woman’s sons, known as the Hero Twins, face challenges set by Tsohanoai in his home.

Back