Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

I never saw it. Please repost it.

I have spoken it several times now. The concept that one is separate from others. That's the self. If one understand that one is not the same as the person standing next to them then they have a sense of "self".

What is YOUR definition of self? (Or more appropriately what was the Roman definition since you say they invented the concept). Also can you show me in the vast roman literature where the sense of "self" was invented?

I gave the context in Christian emergence from the ancient Roman world. It is that as a person is a self/subject, so is God a self/subject. It is a concept. It has nothing to do with the fact of a human body.

OK, using that "definition", when you see another person on the street how do you know you aren't looking at yourself? (That no doubt sounds like an absurd question but it is at the heart of what the self is. And according to your hypothesis apparently before the Romans defined it people must have constantly been confused about where they ended and a different person began. I guess we have the Romans to thank for a LOT of really great things, but this one seems like a bit of a stretch.)

OK, using that "definition", when you see another person on the street how do you know you aren't looking at yourself? (That no doubt sounds like an absurd question but it is at the heart of what the self is. And according to your hypothesis apparently before the Romans defined it people must have constantly been confused about where they ended and a different person began. I guess we have the Romans to thank for a LOT of really great things, but this one seems like a bit of a stretch.)

You confuse, or conflate, a person with a self.

We call the ancient Greeks and Romans pagans, or polytheists. This leads to calling the Christian idea of monotheism an advancement or correction.
But each is a theory of the subject. Monotheism means there is one guiding Subject, a true identity. Polytheism does not require there to be a subject which unifies all the experiences of the person.

Obviously you have a pathological need to get in the last word Perry Phd, so I will wrap things up here and leave you to continue to stew in resentment and petty grievance.

Such anger. I wish you'd have actually just engaged with the point and not sought to turn every opportunity to attack me into that.

We call the ancient Greeks and Romans pagans, or polytheists. This leads to calling the Christian idea of monotheism an advancement or correction.
But each is a theory of the subject. Monotheism means there is one guiding Subject, a true identity. Polytheism does not require there to be a subject which unifies all the experiences of the person.

This is not a definition of the self.

What is the self?

Back