Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

Agreed.

One doesn't have to have an advanced degree to understand topics more thoroughly than you normally demonstrate.

LOL. This is hilarious. WHAT ADULT brags about how long he's been on a discussion forum like it lends some credence to his bullshit??? LOL.

It's not my fault you have spent the last 48 hours nursing a grudge and obsessively trying to get my attention. That is for your shrink to discuss with you.

Your posting history is one of sock puppets, multiple accounts, and deception. People who prove that they do not post in good faith and actively practiced deception can't be trusted to post in good faith, and consequently do not earn access to my time.

I admit it's an open philosophical question, but choice and free will seem self evident to me. And absent any compelling proof or evidence, I am going to trust my senses over mental masturbation.

One possibility is that if our conciousness is a projection of some quantum state, the many worlds quantum hypothesis states that when an observation is made, perhaps when a decision is made, all possible realities occur and branch off from each other.

Brain experiment suggests that consciousness relies on quantum entanglement

Maybe the brain isn't "classical" after all.

Most neuroscientists believe that the brain operates in a classical manner. However, if brain processes rely on quantum mechanics, it could explain why our brains are so powerful. A team of researchers possibly witnessed entanglement in the brain, perhaps indicating that some of our brain activity, and maybe even consciousness, operates on a quantum level.

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/brain-consciousness-quantum-entanglement/

Last edited:
It's not my fault you have spent the last 48 hours nursing a grudge and obsessively trying to get my attention. That is for your shrink to discuss with you.

Your posting history is one of sock puppets, multiple accounts, and deception. People who prove that they do not post in good faith and actively practiced deception can't be trusted to post in good faith, and consequently do not earn access to my time.
Like a few others on JPP, I strongly doubt that Perry is in full control of his faculties and, therefore, cannot choose to change his behavior. Likewise, I doubt he is under treatment, is seeking treatment or even has access to treatment like millions of other Americans with similar issues.

Agreed on his history although I'd add personal attacks and pettiness to the list. :)

Brain experiment suggests that consciousness relies on quantum entanglement

Maybe the brain isn't "classical" after all.

Most neuroscientists believe that the brain operates in a classical manner. However, if brain processes rely on quantum mechanics, it could explain why our brains are so powerful. A team of researchers possibly witnessed entanglement in the brain, perhaps indicating that some of our brain activity, and maybe even consciousness, operates on a quantum level.

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/brain-consciousness-quantum-entanglement/

Great article although it quickly dives deeper into areas beyond my expertise. Still, it's very intriguing and, if true, explains a lot about why our minds work the way they do.

"there are other tasks our brains perform routinely that computers simply cannot match — interpreting events and situations and using imagination, creativity, and problem-solving skills."

I agree that consciousness has a level of mystery behind it, but that's not really relevant to the current discussion.

The nature of "self" whether a religious/spiritual type of soul or something physiological is also not relevant.

But, what you said about your brain making choices is relevant if your brain is making decision without the existence of a self. So, what do you mean when you say your brain is making decisions, presumably without a self, while you, that doesn't actually exist, maintains free will?

He makes it sound like his brain makes decisions without Cypress having input!
The more Cypress learns the more confused he becomes!

The universe appears to be rife with physical manifestations that seem to be attempting to sustain their own existence.

Whether any of it at all is relevant to anything else at all is largely a matter of personal opinion.

Further, we don't have a clue as to how opinions occur or come to exist, never mind which ones are worthy of consideration.

What I love about discussing donuts is that at the very least, I can perceive some measure of importance and urgency to the discussion.

I have not arrived at a way to prove my theory, I honestly admit,

but I have a strong feeling that once we can identify what makes donuts so relevant,

the rest will all begin to start making sense. :bigthink:

Like a few others on JPP, I strongly doubt that Perry is in full control of his faculties and, therefore, cannot choose to change his behavior. Likewise, I doubt he is under treatment, is seeking treatment or even has access to treatment like millions of other Americans with similar issues.

Agreed on his history although I'd add personal attacks and pettiness to the list. :)

There was mentally unbalanced guy here years ago who nursed an inferiority complex and lingering grudge who would follow me around everywhere hollering about all his complaints about me.

I think he finally flamed out and was institutionalized.

There was mentally unbalanced guy here years ago who nursed an inferiority complex and lingering grudge who would follow me around everywhere hollering about all his complaints about me.

I think he finally flamed out and was institutionalized.

I've seen wackadoodles come and go. Everyone has mood swings, but usually it's within a normal range. Wackadoodles can swing a little bit, but usually stay on the fringes of the curve. Anger is a common trait. Not too many nymphomaniacs on political forums. LOL

The universe appears to be rife with physical manifestations that seem to be attempting to sustain their own existence.

Whether any of it at all is relevant to anything else at all is largely a matter of personal opinion.

Further, we don't have a clue as to how opinions occur or come to exist, never mind which ones are worthy of consideration.

What I love about discussing donuts is that at the very least, I can perceive some measure of importance and urgency to the discussion.

I have not arrived at a way to prove my theory, I honestly admit,

but I have a strong feeling that once we can identify what makes donuts so relevant,

the rest will all begin to start making sense. :bigthink:

I don't think contemplating donuts is stupid.

"Familiar things happen, and mankind does not bother about them. It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious "

Alfred North Whitehead

Great article although it quickly dives deeper into areas beyond my expertise. Still, it's very intriguing and, if true, explains a lot about why our minds work the way they do.

"there are other tasks our brains perform routinely that computers simply cannot match — interpreting events and situations and using imagination, creativity, and problem-solving skills."

My limited sense is the key takeaway is that a classical mechanistic system requires the transfer of force and energy (electrochemical) between the disparate parts of system. In a quantum entangled system, locality and transfers of forces are not required. The entangled quantum system acts as one single state since the quantum wave function collapse is instantaneous. In theory that would give human cognition a huge superiority over a classical mechanistic system.

LOL. The guy who doesn't understand basic intro chemistry concepts like freezing point depressions wants to posit great philosophical bullshit like consciousness as a quantum state. It just shows you CAN'T handle anyone who knows more science than you do so all YOU HAVE is petty grievance.

LOL.

You talk like a new ager zombie.

My limited sense is the key takeaway is that a classical mechanistic system requires the transfer of force and energy (electrochemical) between the disparate parts of system. In a quantum entangled system, locality and transfers of forces are not required. The entangled quantum system acts as one single state since the quantum wave function collapse is instantaneous. In theory that would give human cognition a huge superiority over a classical mechanistic system.

Wow. Such word salad from the guy who didn't even know that saltwater can remain liquid below 0degC.

LOL. The guy who doesn't understand basic intro chemistry concepts like freezing point depressions wants to posit great philosophical bullshit like consciousness as a quantum state. It just shows you CAN'T handle anyone who knows more science than you do so all YOU HAVE is petty grievance.

LOL.

You talk like a new ager zombie.

Cypress is quite judgemental except in the case of his butt buddy Dutch!

Back