Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

Science has nothing to say about what human action is. Odd that some still hold onto that myth.

Actually it does. The advent of fMRI in the 90's opened entire new doorways to understanding intent, agency and the self. Granted it's still "through a glass darkly" seen, but more information is coming to the fore.

Not random or arbitrary. I see, like Doc, after 3 posts you result to insults.

Why do you think it was insulting to suggest that a question about "marriage" was a somewhat random and arbitrary question?

It wasn't intended as an insult.

But more to the point: when revolutions in science start they almost NEVER start with the ability to explain every single thing anyone can imagine. The fact that I can't provide any answer to your "marriage question" doesn't mean the science has failed. It simply means that the science is working toward that.

Why do you think it was insulting to suggest that a question about "marriage" was a somewhat random and arbitrary question?

It wasn't intended as an insult.

But more to the point: when revolutions in science start they almost NEVER start with the ability to explain every single thing anyone can imagine. The fact that I can't provide any answer to your "marriage question" doesn't mean the science has failed. It simply means that the science is working toward that.

uh huh

Science has nothing to say about what human action is. Odd that some still hold onto that myth.

Scientism: the belief that only scientific knowledge is real knowledge.

I don't buy it for a second. As powerful as science is as a tool of inquiry, science knows a lot less than laypersons assume.

Free will and freedom to make choices are probably not ripe for any definitive scientific answers.

I don't buy it for a second. As powerful as science is as a tool of inquiry, science knows a lot less than laypersons assume.

Free will and freedom to make choices are probably not ripe for any definitive scientific answers.

Oldest trick in the book. Science has no answer today but will some time. Okay, then make that argument when it does.

Decisions about whether to get married or not are not random questions. Most people consider it profoundly more important than describing bosons.

Apart from direct observation or measurement, what other types of knowledge do you normally use to make decisions?

Agreed. I think we can easily function as if free will were real, whether it is or isn't. But when I see science finding evidence that it may not be what we think it is, I am fascinated and try to make sense of it rather than simply ignoring it because it feels wrong.

Back