Film Review: SICKO!

There are thousands upon thousands of stories of people having treatment for life threatening illnesses denied. The reason... Because HMO's don't make money by paying for claims. It's funny how libertarians don't like government but they trust a bloodsucking HMO to care for them.

"You think they don't have fat people in England? I can assure they do and quite a few of them."

Who said ANYTHING about whether or not England had fat people? But that said, since you brought it up... have their healthcare costs increased?

"How Does Obesity Impact Health Insurance Coverage?
According to a study conducted by Kaiser Permanente in the 1990s and published in 200488, a body mass index (BMI) > 30 directly impacts the average length of inpatient hospital stays, the quantity and cost of outpatient visits, and pharmacy and lab costs. The increase in costs associated with obesity is likely attributed to its complications – namely coronary disease, hypertension and diabetes."

from

http://www.obesityinamerica.org/govinitiatives.html

The argument you seem to be too obtuse to actually respond to is that HMO's are simply making profit. They're not in that business to help people. And everyone in the world could be fat and it still doesn't justify the outrageous increases in American insurance premiums in the last 10 years. That's the numbers I want. The ones that show the obesity rate in America is in direct correlation with the increasing premiums Americans pay. You can't do it because it doesn't exist. There is no excuse for the way Americans are treated by the system. You fucking libertarians are too obtuse to see that this is a bad thing and would rather have people sick in the street than pay a few percentage points more for quality, affordable health care. It's sad really.

Tool... if you would read the god damn links I provided for you, you would find that there was indeed a study you fucking tool. That showed just that. But you are too damn busy with your little whiny HMOs are making profits to actually read what people are putting out there for you to educated your ignorant ass.

" You fucking libertarians are too obtuse to see that this is a bad thing and would rather have people sick in the street than pay a few percentage points more for quality, affordable health care. It's sad really."

So basically, when Damo and I BOTH said, fix the cost problems THEN lets talk about a universal healthcare plan... somehow you read that neither of us want a universal healthcare plan? I am done wasting my time on you. You are far too ignorant.

Regardless of whether or not, I have read or read the stats you provided that were provided to you by an HMO, one fact remains. You are an asshole of the lowest common denominator. You're name calling, and demeanor toward me is uncalled for and I will look at the stats, but I am done with you for the night. Hezky vecer...

I'm with you, SF, on the points you're making. Unquestionably a healthier lifestyle will reduce the need for expensive health care that in effect is a response to the consequences of some very unhealthy behaviors.

This will of course only address a few of the problems that the system faces, but perhaps it's a start.

Schools are becoming increasingly conscious of the nutritional content in cafeteria offerings, and seem to be taking steps to reduce empty calories and increase nutrition. There are a couple of things more that the school systems could do, relatively inexpensively, and these might help a lot to promote a healthy lifestyle.
One, when I was in both primary and secondary school, we had a class called "Health", connected to the PE courses. In that we learned a lot about nutrition, daily requirements, anatomy and physiology of nutrition, etc. I understand that such classes are rarely offered here, and my younger sister's apparent ignorance of some of these topics suggests that her schools didn't offer them either.
Two, I've read recently that many schools are actually scrapping their physical education/gym classes. These should be reinstated immediately. Exercise not only tones growing muscles, it increases blood flow and is a great help to learning.

The cost of a medical education is astronomical. A friend of mine says that he won't have finished paying off his loans for tuition/fees until he's over 45 years of age. It's unreasonable to expect people to go through all this training for several years (8 years formal education plus x years residency depending upon the chosen field before a physician may begin to practice) without the expectation of an extremely good compensation at the end of training. We should be focusing more on recruiting the very best candidates, not just those who can afford to pay. Physician incompetence is a subject for another thread, however. In the meantime, check out the costs of a medical education at this link:
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/medindex_brief.php

It's easy to blame "big Pharma", and certainly they aren't entirely innocent, but pharma is only a part of the whole. As SF pointed out (I think) the costs of drugs that make it through all the testing to FDA approval reflect also the costs of developing all those drugs that never make it that far. Case in point: we're testing putative antipsychotic drugs that act selectively on the mesolimbic dopamine system, but before we get a drug to test it has to go through all sorts of cardiovascular safety tests. Many fail. That's expensive no matter how you calculate it. Our tests may bring a drug closer to clinical trials but this is only one small step in the process. Every drug goes through this testing procedure.

We have the most sophisticated diagnostic equipment in history. Good. The bad part of this is that it's horrendously expensive to develop and the market for this equipment is highly specialized and thus very small; there won't be much cost reduction by mass production. At the same time, the minute the term "medicine" or "science" is attached to a product, its price seems suddenly to skyrocket. If I can purchase a tool outside the lab equipment provider system I do, and usually at 1/3 the cost -- for the same item! Other items, though, like syringes, can't be so purchased.

The obscene profits garnered by the health insurance companies are another item that should be evaluated. If health insurance were publicly run then those not-inconsiderable costs would disappear. That's pretty simplistic; other administrative costs endemic to government probably would eat up a part of that.

This is probably my longest post. Long enough to leave it for now.

You can't use logic of your own, you must have a link to post where somebody else uses logic. Especially from a blogspot or a movie where people have a specific agenda, then you might be believed.

Depending on which world one exists in .. you can't use thorough studies, data, and analysis either.

SF, the CBO has said that medical malpractice costs account for less than one percent of health care costs. That number has been reflected in many other studies. 1 percent SF. Please, you guys gotta got off the malpractice mantra, it is not supported by facts, period.

We pay from 60 to 230 percent more for the same drugs as other countries do. In effect, we are subsidizing the low cost of drugs for the rest of the Westernized world. The pharma companies own our political system. If we got the politicians out of their pockets, then we could pay a lot less for drugs, and maybe other Westernized nations would have to pay a little more for theirs, and we could stop subsidizing them.

But you guys would rather talk about 1 percent, than the real problem, not because the 1% would ever make any difference, but because it aligns with your agenda.

Our drug system is messed up, that's for sure. If you're going to pump money into the drug system, you have to have a method of controlling prices. And I think that allowing direct to consumer advertising is stupid. It's advertising tot he ignorant, and that's 30% of our drug costs right there. Even drug companies would probably like it if we banned direct to consumer advertising - then they wouldn't have to use that expensive, useless method in order to compete with the other companies.

I have little trust that the fix will work so perfectly that we should just make it so we can negotiate and whammo let's pick up the tab. Prove it works before forcing me to pick up other's tab (we do anyway). But I have almost no faith in the government concerning cost control.

It works fine in Canada, Damo. There's real world example for ya.

I just got back from Sicko. It was awesome.

I liked France's healthcare system the best.

Doctors make house calls. FREAKIN' HOUSE CALLS. If you have the flu, you can call a doctor to come to your house.

Women can take paid maternity leave, and they can have a government-paid nanny come over twice a week, to do your laundry, cook, and run errands. THE GOVENMENT PAYS TO DO YOUR LAUNDRY. LOL

Oh, and after a surgery, you can take three months off, to recuperate and get better. Three months 100% PAID TIME OFF.

:clink:

I just got back from Sicko. It was awesome.

I liked France's healthcare system the best.

Doctors make house calls. FREAKIN' HOUSE CALLS. If you have the flu, you can call a doctor to come to your house.

Women can take paid maternity leave, and they can have a government-paid nanny come over twice a week, to do your laundry, cook, and run errands. THE GOVENMENT PAYS TO DO YOUR LAUNDRY. LOL

Oh, and after a surgery, you can take three months off, to recuperate and get better. Three months 100% PAID TIME OFF.

:clink:

Maybe we should just stop working altogether? It'll be Utopia! Everythings free! :clink:

Or maybe I should phrase it this way Cypress. YOU shouldn't be forced to pay for 3 months of sick leave that some person doesn't need and uses for vacation time.

Or maybe I should phrase it this way Cypress.

YOU shouldn't be forced to pay for 3 months of sick leave that some person doesn't need and uses for vacation time.

Too late. In this country, people can already collect disability payments, if they miss work due to surgery or valid medical reasons. At least in california. I don't know about mississipi. Maybe its more backwards there, and if you have to have open heart surgery, then your on your own. Good luck to you. There's no short term disability program that will help you.

As for the three months - I should have been clearer. That was one case in the film, and it was based on a doctor's judgement. There's no statute requiring exactly three months. It appears to be a medical decision. In the movie, it was about a guy who had cancer, and had gone through chemotherapy (I think). The doctor gave him permission to have three months paid leave off work to recover and recuperate. Sounds pretty humane to me. Probably wouldn't work in Mississppi. People there should be left to fend for themselves, or to rely on charity.

Back