Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World

Corn strover ? Not sure what that is but it was said that the new KY plant can use corn cobs among other things.

The oil industry currently gets subdsidies in the form of tax breaks and royalty free oil .

and one could say the the entire iraq war is an oil subsidy turned sour.

In any case I would rather pump money into the USA than the middle east.

Why are people so wedded to corn as a biomass source of ethanol. When all is said and done, corn is a LOUSY source of ethanol. (Unless you're a backwoods moonshiner....)

Sucrose source ethanol, of which corn is but one, is easily derived, but inefficient. Even so, there are several sucrose based crops that beat corn in yield per acre and cost per gallon. Sugar beets have the highest yield per acre, almost twice that of corn, and a net cost per gallon about 10% lower.

While cellulose source ethanol is a (relatively) new technology, it is being used successfully in several South American countries. The greatest advantage of CSE is it uses crops which can be grown on land not currently used for food production, of which there is more than that which IS used for food production. The second greatest advantage is CSE sources have anywhere from 3-5 times the yield per acre. Switch grass can be easily grown literally any where in the continental US (and even some places in Alaska as well as much of Canada.) It grows quickly, and does not need the attendance that corn or even sugar beets need. Basically it's a weed. Plant it, let it grow, and harvest it. The average yield per acre of switch grass is 2.5-3 times that of corn. The only drawback of CSE (switchgrass) is the enzymatic process used to break down cellulose to sugars is relatively expensive compared to sucrose sources (which are already sugar!). But with experience I am certain that problem could rapidly be overcome, and will be worth it considering the greater yields and greater ability to grow in a wide range of climates and soils.

I am sure the government knows there are much better sources for ethanol production than corn. I do not understand why they do not focus on the better sources instead of encouraging a method and source that if continued, is dooming ethanol as a fuel source to failure.

Then again, all things considered, I guess it isn't too hard to understand... "psst, we don't REALLY want alternate energy to succeed do we? Here's a little something for your campaign fund. And a little extra for yourself...."

Because driving up the price of food makes people more desperate and more willing work in corporate slave camps.

It is called "increasing worker efficiency", A long established and accepted business practice. It is just that in previous incarnations our govt was not the main participant.

Limited arable land----people really need to figure this out when considering alternative fuels. You can't just grow AND HARVEST crops just anywhere.

Which is why some countries are knocking down forests to produce more farm land. Then using the farm land to produce ethanol rather than food.

It is complete stupidity to continue using grain to produce ethanol when we don't have enough grain to meet demand for food.

Top... switchgrass and stover are not as efficient as grain, but they are certainly a better option... and they are both already available (especially the stover).

I hope and pray you are wrong about corn. We cannot have people starving because the West wishes to drive their cars and the arising nations are now demanding oil:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_hassett&sid=arSRWU0yDL7M

and about switchgrass:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/21/science-focused-on-creating-domestic-supply/

FYI.... it is not simply the West. Brazil uses crops for the vast majority of their ethanol production. As does China and others.

We currently use about 15% of our grain production on ethanol. We are the largest producer of grain in the world. The ignorance of this is plain to see, yet we continue to see our idiots in DC pushing for more ethanol.

edited.... wording wrong... was inaccurate to state Brazil uses grain.

Last edited:
Brazil uses mainly sugar, which we artificially inflate domestically.

I haven't seen anything saying switchgrass is being made economically, do you have anything on it??

what I'm saying is easily verified. Also many experts say iowa's cacus will hold off corn alternatives for ethanol production.

The complete stupidity that one state's caucus could hold off an alternative is mind blowing. Iowa is not the only state that produces corn. The US is not the only country that produces corn. Iowas seven electoral votes are not going to stop the drive to switch. Put a few starving people on TV saying WTF??? and it is over.

I don't know what you've read freak, I've heard that comment dozens of times from political analyst and economist.
Seriously, got any facts on switchgrass production??
Other states do have corn, But Iowa is the one Identified with it and the one with the new ethonal plants.

Brazil uses mainly sugar, which we artificially inflate domestically.

I haven't seen anything saying switchgrass is being made economically, do you have anything on it??
Actually the newest research is working with catalysts to create gasoline, not ethanol, from switchgrass and other biofuel sources efficiently.

There would be no need to use grain to produce the gasoline either. The benefit is it would work in all vehicles and with the same efficiency as gasoline rather than with the efficiency loss in ethanol.

I recently saw a program on it on the Discovery Channel. I'll see if I can find a link.

I've seen a lot of those too, but none that show anything but corn being used for large quantities of ethanol.

Here, Top.

http://gas2.org/2008/04/09/green-ga...uce-1gallon-gas-from-non-food-plant-material/

By heating cellulosic plant material to between 750 and 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit in the presence of a catalyst, then quickly cooling it, the team of graduate students led by associate professor George W. Huber was able to produce a mixture of hydrocarbons identical to gasoline in less than two minutes. The conversion is a relatively simple, one-step process that could create biogasoline for as little as $1 per gallon.

More at link...

Damo, are you 12?
Studend and professors means zero sales. I'm talking 5 billion gallons of corn ethonal, wake me up when the statement changes from could to IS. LOFL

Damo, are you 12?
Studend and professors means zero sales. I'm talking 5 billion gallons of corn ethonal, wake me up when the statement changes from could to IS. LOFL
Almost all effective research is at the University level. Seriously, it is sad to ignore research because you didn't notice it first.

Back