Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World

P.S. I'll assume the investors who put up real money for the 5 billions barrells of corn ethonal know a little more than a partisan hack like freak.

LMAO.... I'll bet the average investor knows far less than I do on the industry toppy. So now we went from 5 billion gallons to 5 billion barrells?

You truly are comical toppy.

By the way... the investors are putting money into corn based ethanol production because the morons in DC are mandating ethanol production with complete disregard for the effect it is having on food supply. I would be willing to bet the majority of investors do not care that there are alternate ways of producing ethanol without having to use crops. They just see forced government production and know that means the price will be forced up.

it's gallons
investors care about returns
I can almost guarantee you if switchgrass is sold more profitabley we'll have surpluss corn for a good while.

A plant for production.
Just because you and some partisan hack say ethanol is not profitable doesn't make it soo. Like I said, Cash is king and King is selling 5 BILLION BARRELLS OF IT. DORK
I'll bet those people rioting for food would really like to have some of that grain, and 5 billion barrels is SQUAT.

A plant for production.
Just because you and some partisan hack say ethanol is not profitable doesn't make it soo. Like I said, Cash is king and King is selling 5 BILLION BARRELLS OF IT. DORK

1) you are truly incapable of reading AND comprehending

2) I stated that corn based ethanol was a net loser for the ECONOMY. I did not say that it could not be produced for a profit... especially when the government subsidizes the production costs.

3) It is not 5 billion barrells moron, it is 5 billion GALLONS.

it's gallons
I can almost guarantee you if switchgrass is sold more profitabley we'll have surpluss corn for a good while.

Squeal! Here he is, here he is.

Hello Topspin. Have you been thinking about Sean?

it's gallons

This is the type of limited thinking we get from our reps in DC. 75 million new people on the planet each year. Per capita grain consumption is continuing to increase year after year. Especially in China.

But yeah, if we took the entire 15% of grain production currently being used on ethanol and dumped it all back into the market, we would have a surplus. I wonder what a surplus would do to prices? Make them more affordable perhaps?

Switch grass is something kinky dopeheads smoke ?

I need to research it, seems like it must the the most plentiful thing on earth, but I am not sure what it is.

LOL, I'm an oil guy through and through. I'm not pro ethanol at all. So you two and the gay guy get get off your save the hungry attack the ethanol guy. I was just UNSUCCESSFULLY trying to point out that switch is not yet commercially viable.
A term that is foreign to the lot of you

http://www.newfarm.org/international/news/050104/0517/ca_ethanol.shtml
http://www.iogen.ca/cellulose_ethanol/what_is_ethanol/index.html

A Canadian corporation is making cellulosic ethanol as we speak. They have been doing so since 2004. The reason for it not being more wide spread is cellulosic ethanol is more expensive to make do to the process requiring enzymes which cost a lot to make. But history is full of examples of scientists showing how something can be done, then when circumstances warrant, the engineers take over and make it economical.

Another advantage of cellulosic ethanol (which was referred to as "Ethanol From Cellulose or EFC a scant year ago) is it is not limited to cellulose fresh from the farm. Imagine all the waste paper the U.S. generates per day being turned into fuel to power electrical plants. Or waste wood from the lumber industry. Or even your lawn clippings.

Ethanol, for all its faults, has great potential. But for crying out LOUD, lt us all tell our blind, deaf and stupid government to stop subsidizing the use of CORN!!!!

Iowa rulls Son!!!
ain't happening anytime soon,
5 billion gallons sold in Us, and only 1 factory in canada burping a few gals of switch.
If anything subsidies will go up.

Iowa rulls Son!!!
ain't happening anytime soon,
5 billion gallons sold in Us, and only 1 factory in canada burping a few gals of switch.
If anything subsidies will go up.
I know it ain't happening soon. So because of (deliberate) manipulations, alternate fuels will be delayed, and runaway oil prices will continue to drive our economy into the ground.

The ability to turn ourselves into an energy exporter instead of energy importer is within our grasp with a bit of concentrated effort. But it won't happen because those profiting off oil can't see beyond their own noses to see that a healthier economy is better for them also.

Last edited:
Oil companies might have to hire blackwater folks as guards before too long.
they are gonna be real popular.

Good luck you should rely on more than luck and read. Export. Lofl we import way over 50 percent and rising we need all the alternatives just to help meet growing needs.
usmoron, the depth or your discourse is as shallow as your stack of degrees.

Good luck you should rely on more than luck and read. Export. Lofl we import way over 50 percent and rising we need all the alternatives just to help meet growing needs.
usmoron, the depth or your discourse is as shallow as your stack of degrees.
When biofuels reach the point of being economically competitive with oil, then the country with the best biofuels infrastructure will be the one countries turn to.

Certainly it will not happen over night. But the U.S. has massive areas which are not economically viable for food agriculture, but would meet the needs of cellulosic ethanol crops. That land is far greater in extent than current agriculturally active lands. If we add other alternate, non-consumptive sources of energy production to our infrastructure thus decreasing the need for fuel sourced energy, then yes it IS possible to one day be an energy exporter.

But it will only happen if we turn away from the path of alternate fuel production we are on now. If we continue with food grain sources for ethanol, it will fail and then all efforts at renewable fuel production will be tainted from that failure. (Which is what the oil boys want to happen.)

biofuels catching oil, I hope your under 10 luck otherwise it won't be in your lifetime
This is going to be one of those things that starts so slowly it is barely noticeable, then take off in exponential growth. Oil prices doubling in 7 years isn't going to exactly slow things down. The higher the price of gasoline, the more push there will be to reduce use of gasoline. The higher the price of oil, the more competitive alternates will be.

The more competitive alternate become, the more people will invest in the technology to make alternate viable - such as using cellulose. Cellulose is a far greater resource than you give credit for. over 150 million tons of cellulose waste is added to landfills every year. Imagine turning a significant percentage of that into alternate fuels. Food production yields a vast amount of cellulose after the edible portions are removed. And cellulose sources will grow where food will not. All in all, it is VERY possible, without needing a breakthrough in theory, to produce enough biomass to make alternate fuels enough to become an energy exporting nation. (Of course, being an energy exporter would include the idea that the U.S. will continue to produce coal and oil.)

The article posted by Damocles shows another area that technology is catching up. The production of gasoline-like hydrocarbon chains using waste organics could blow things wide open. Think of this: what we throw into land fills in a year could produce almost a third the gasoline we use if this technique can be put into mass production. We can most certainly produce way more than twice that in deliberate agriculture of cellulose biomass.

It will still take a long time, but I will not be surprised at all to see us at the very least become energy self sufficient before I ride into the sunset. Could happen even sooner if we'd quit wasting time on methods we know to be a dead end.

Back