"God is dead"

Nietzsche rejected Christianity, which he saw as a necessary but outdated step in human evolution. Nietzsche was declaring war on the concept of guilt and sin as he percieved they were defined by Christian authority

but he lamented the loss of basic morality that also was contained within those.

Nietzsche rejected Christianity, which he saw as a necessary but outdated step in human evolution. Nietzsche was declaring war on the concept of guilt and sin as he percieved they were defined by Christian authority

"Christian authority" being the Catholic Church? Is the link below true about Nietzsche being an elitist aristocrat?

FWIW, I like some of Nietzsche's philosophy, but as 1920s/1930s Germany proved, it can be twisted into something evil.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=9954
It seems appropriate, in a conference on “Chesterton and Human Dignity,” that one should speak of Chesterton’s Christian response to Nietzsche. For it was by the dialectic of challenge and response to anti-Christian ideas that Chesterton developed some of his most striking testimony to the dignity of the ordinary human being. If Nietzsche is the philosopher of elitist aristocracy, Chesterton is the philosopher of Christian democracy. As Chesterton wrote in Heretics in comment upon the democratic idea of man:

"Christian authority" being the Catholic Church? Is the link below true about Nietzsche being an elitist aristocrat?

FWIW, I like some of Nietzsche's philosophy, but as 1920s/1930s Germany proved, it can be twisted into something evil.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=9954
Nietzsche was from a Lutheran family, not Catholic

Supposedly, Nietzsche saw the original teachings of Jesus corrupted by the church.

A lot of people have tried to claim Nietzsche: atheists, nihilists, Nazis, moral relativists. But I don't think he necessarily fits neatly into any of those categories.

Supposedly, Nietzsche saw the original teachings of Jesus corrupted by the church.

A lot of people have tried to claim Nietzsche: atheists, nihilists, Nazis, moral relativists. But I don't think he necessarily fits neatly into any of those categories.
A point at which I agree with Fred....and it all began with Saul of Tarsus, who never even met Jesus and persecuted Christians until he converted...like Trump converting from being a lifelong Democrat to become a Republican. :)

There were many versions of Christianity in first 300 years after Jesus. The version that survived is soaked in the blood of those murdered or burned as heretics.

I like the messages in the Four Gospels, but consider everything after to be a perversion of the words of Jesus.

A point at which I agree with Fred....and it all began with Saul of Tarsus, who never even met Jesus and persecuted Christians until he converted...like Trump converting from being a lifelong Democrat to become a Republican. :)

There were many versions of Christianity in first 300 years after Jesus. The version that survived is soaked in the blood of those murdered or burned as heretics.

I like the messages in the Four Gospels, but consider everything after to be a perversion of the words of Jesus.
I read Mathew 5, the Sermon on the Mount last week, and by the standards of the ancient Greco-Roman world, that was a radical ethical framework.

Supposedly, Nietzsche saw the Christian virtues of humility, chastity, piety, nonviolence, obedience as weak and slave-like, and too focused on a non-existent afterlife.

I read Mathew 5, the Sermon on the Mount last week, and by the standards of the ancient Greco-Roman world, that was a radical ethical framework.

Supposedly, Nietzsche saw the Christian virtues of humility, chastity, piety, obedience as weak and slave-like, and too focused on a supposedly non-existent afterlife.
Agreed it was radical in the West. Not so much in the East.
sym53.gif

If so then Fred was an atheist. :)

"there was really only one Christian, and he died on the cross. "--Nietzsche. #39 The Antichrist

http://users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/Lose...dols & Other Writings Friedrich Nietzsche.pdf

Nietzsche clearly was an atheist.

Nietzsche clearly was an atheist.

He was definitely anti-Christian, he didn't like the Christian concept of an afterlife, and he thought Christian virtues were objectionable.

But I'm not aware he ever wrote anything about Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism.

I don't think being anti Christian necessarily qualifies one as a principled atheist.

He was definitely anti Christian, he didn't like the Christian concept of an afterlife, and he thought Christian virtues were objectionable.

But I doubt he ever wrote anything about Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism.

He criticized Schopenhauer for being sympathetic to Buddhism.

Back