God

No doubt as those crooks on Capital Hill "one nation under God with equal justice under law" of this Christian Nation only extends as far as human reproduction medical pseudoscience acceptance while suicidal super ego Christiananality pedophilia sociopsychopathilogical homicidal human farming avoidance isn't despicable & vile in Nazington, D.C.....

Where the fuck did you get the assumption this is a
"Christian nation"!?

Agreed.

“Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him.”
― Thomas Merton

Would we even be recognizably human without our noblest traits of courage, self-sacrifice, charity?

Those dimensions of humanity wouldn't even exist if we all lived perfect, happy, comfortable lives free from any vestige of adversity.

Would we even be recognizably human without our noblest traits of courage, self-sacrifice, charity?

Those dimensions of humanity wouldn't even exist if we all lived perfect, happy, comfortable lives free from any vestige of adversity.
While those are, indeed, human traits, I'm not sure they'd be confined only to civilized "humans" since they are also species survival traits.

Agreed "adversity breeds character". As a nation, I think we've grown soft specifically due to a lack of adversity. We're the product of the blood, sweat and tears of our ancestors which allows most Americans to live a soft, easy life with individual cars and big screen TVs.

While those are, indeed, human traits, I'm not sure they'd be confined only to civilized "humans" since they are also species survival traits.

Agreed "adversity breeds character". As a nation, I think we've grown soft specifically due to a lack of adversity. We're the product of the blood, sweat and tears of our ancestors which allows most Americans to live a soft, easy life with individual cars and big screen TVs.

For sure.

I'm saying that if God ensured everybody had perfect, happy, comfortable lives, and he made sure we lived free of adversity, where is either room or need for humans to cultivate the virtues of courage, self-sacrifice, charity?

It seems like we would become something less than recognizably human if we did not cultivate and practice those virtues.

For sure.

I'm saying that if God ensured everybody had perfect, happy, comfortable lives, and he made sure we lived free of adversity, where is either room or need for humans to cultivate the virtues of courage, self-sacrifice, charity?

It seems like we would become something less than recognizably human if we did not cultivate and practice those virtues.
Agreed a lack of adversity would leave life as a blob that simply exists.

That goes back to the basic question of why God would create the Universe in the first place, with intelligent lifeforms as an inevitable consequence.

Why would a truly all-powerful, all-knowing being need anything? Certainly not needing to have "pets" sitting around singing hosannas or making sacrifices in its name.

So God does not give a shit about humans?

I did not say that. I do not know, but we can only judge "Giving a shit" on human terms.

Suffering has all kinds of effects and people's perspective on suffering can be very different... and that's simply from a human perspective. We do not know God's perspective and never will as long as we are being humans.

I did not say that. I do not know, but we can only judge "Giving a shit" on human terms.

Suffering has all kinds of effects and people's perspective on suffering can be very different... and that's simply from a human perspective. We do not know God's perspective and never will as long as we are being humans.

Agreed. Some kids in school think they are suffering cruel and unusual punishment by being forced to be there.

Back