Here we are again.... the database corruption followed us on this restore...

We appreciate the work you're putting in Damo. I see we have rolled back to 12/10. I'm not sure what database you're using, MySQL or Mongo I'm guessing. I will throw out that my experience is database corruption is generally hardware related. I'm guessing that you're not running RAID 61 on virtualized SSD's.. I would suspect the physical disks if they are mechanical, or the RAID controller (especially if it's a Dell Perc.)

Let me know if I can help.

Or could have just been an old fashioned power issue such as a power glitch or sudden burst of dirty power or improper shutdown that caused it.

Here is the deal, if it has not been determined or isolated what did cause the corruption, it very well could happen again!

Or could have just been an old fashioned power issue such as a power glitch or sudden burst of dirty power or improper shutdown that caused it.

Here is the deal, if it has not been determined what did cause the corruption, it very well could happen again!

It always can, that's why I should be taking daily backups... But I don't really get paid for this (there is some small profit and some folks kindly do give donations) and sometimes I have other priorities.

It always can, that's why I should be taking daily backups... But I don't really get paid for this (there is some small profit and some folks kindly do give donations) and sometimes I have other priorities.

My first concerns on outages, always have to do with "How much money a minute is this outage costing"?

I used to have to backup our World-Wide servers we had at Texas Instruments, and I know what a time consuming Bitch that was, and we used to backup to tape- even slower. It wasn't my real function either, but as a Data Comm tech, we were just fireman sitting around waiting for a fire, so they made good use of our time in that way.

I may not be contributing donations here yet, but I do try to help the cause by clicking on some of the great clickbait ads.

I like them, and find them to be a lot of cool things man! Good job on that!

I'm sure it would even help more if I were to purchase something, and eventually I will, and hopefully the other members do as well!

I do hope this helps- and Good Job in resolving the problem so soon and the communication with us on the problem.

Good JOB and Good LUCK Damo!

Last edited:
My first concerns on outages, always have to do with "How much money a minute is this outage costing"?

I used to have to backup our World-Wide servers we had at Texas Instruments, and I know what a time consuming Bitch that was, and we used to backup to tape- even slower. It wasn't my real function either, but as a Data Comm tech, we were just fireman sitting around waiting for a fire, so they made good use of our time in that way.

I may not be contributing donations here yet, but I do try to help the cause by clicking on some of the great clickbait ads.

I like them, and find them to be a lot of cool things man! Good job on that!

I'm sure it would even help more if I were to purchase something, and eventually I will, and hopefully the other members do as well!

I do hope this helps- and Good Job in resolving the problem so soon and the communication with us on the problem.

Good JOB and Good LUCK Damo!

Ra-men.

I offered up Mr. Owl as IT tribute if Damo needs a hand. Between you three you should get it figured out. Well, actually Mr. Owl offered himself as tribute. Apparently this site keeps me from annoying him. :laugh:

Unfortunately, it appears I cannot compose or reply to private messages. No idea why. I can't click on the reply box. But to answer your question, I'm pretty sure it was the DB rebuild.

That's a pretty cheap trick to get people to try to send you private messages <wink>

Did you try turning it off and turning it back on again? <--- (Stolen from the TV show, "The IT Crowd")

Ra-men.

I offered up Mr. Owl as IT tribute if Damo needs a hand. Between you three you should get it figured out. Well, actually Mr. Owl offered himself as tribute. Apparently this site keeps me from annoying him. :laugh:

Servers are just a hobby with me- thank goodness!

I pretty much stuck to Communications in my old career!

You had to be a real Geeko to want to work on those thangs for a livin'- not an imposter like me! :laugh:

Although I can only speak for this moocher, on behalf of all JPP moochers, we appreciate all your efforts, Damo. Thanks!
O5Cb67u.gif

And it is still there. I tried to get a full backup for about a month and could not resolve the issue. No repairs are doing it. And when I restored using the 12/10/2023 this time I tried again and I still had the issue. So, something corrupted it before then and I am going to have to keep trying to find a valid backup and we may lose more posts than we did this time...

I'm thinking of turning on the site while I figure out this mess. Creating a test site or something and allowing you all to post, it would entail losing the posts again when I finally find a clean backup without the corruption.

Probably had something to do with all those new "pop-up" advtsg. Also some joker trying to slip in something. Thanks for your efforts.

Sorry you keep having to go through this Damo. If you know the answer to this I understand if you don’t want to share but do you have a sense if it’s the revolution shutting us down or the Chinese? (I believe the claim is the Han seek world dominance and therefore a site like JPP could pose a threat.)

I was an IT networks guy and both my sons are in the industry as well. My youngest son works in Tokyo for Softbank and the other works for Cisco in Singapore.

I am glad to know I am not the only IT NETWORK person here.

I don't think Damo needs our Network expertise though, as this problem is a Data problem.

And it is still there. I tried to get a full backup for about a month and could not resolve the issue. No repairs are doing it. And when I restored using the 12/10/2023 this time I tried again and I still had the issue. So, something corrupted it before then and I am going to have to keep trying to find a valid backup and we may lose more posts than we did this time...

I'm thinking of turning on the site while I figure out this mess. Creating a test site or something and allowing you all to post, it would entail losing the posts again when I finally find a clean backup without the corruption.

Just want to say THANK YOU, Damo, for all the work you put into this site so that we can post our thoughts.

As a wise man once said, "Life is short. Be sure to spend as much time as possible on the Internet arguing politics with total strangers."

You help make that possible.

Do you need some $ donations?

Just want to say THANK YOU, Damo, for all the work you put into this site so that we can post our thoughts.

As a wise man once said, "Life is short. Be sure to spend as much time as possible on the Internet arguing politics with total strangers."

You help make that possible.

Do you need some $ donations?

Donations are always nice, but never required. We have some of the best forum members on the interwebs. All the other political forum gurus are jelly.

Back