Hi -- New here.

Can you show that these policies have produced positive results by citing pre-and post-implementation statistics...
That would take a lot of work, and would be problematic even if I put in the time, since with any given implementation, we could point out other factors. Besides, we'd be working with a very long time scale. How long, for example, has NY had policies favoring dense building and mass transit? But, what we can do is compare liberal areas, as a group, to conservative areas, as a group, and see what the outcomes look like. If one set of areas is having desirable results, on average, and the other is having undesirable results, we'd be wiser to experiment with the solutions favored by the group experiencing success.

That would take a lot of work, and would be problematic even if I put in the time, since with any given implementation, we could point out other factors. Besides, we'd be working with a very long time scale. How long, for example, has NY had policies favoring dense building and mass transit? But, what we can do is compare liberal areas, as a group, to conservative areas, as a group, and see what the outcomes look like. If one set of areas is having desirable results, on average, and the other is having undesirable results, we'd be wiser to experiment with the solutions favored by the group experiencing success.

So you were just bloviating, as I thought.

Where....

Earlier in the thread. I'd go back and find it for you, but since this is happening repeatedly, I now suspect you're just trolling (like when you claimed I hadn't answered the post about how I'm posting here during a week day, and then when I said I had, you required me to go find the post for you). I gave you the post number for that one, but at this point it's looking like you're being disingenuous or just lazy, so I'm not going to continue doing your work for you.

Earlier in the thread. I'd go back and find it for you, but since this is happening repeatedly, I now suspect you're just trolling (like when you claimed I hadn't answered the post about how I'm posting here during a week day, and then when I said I had, you required me to go find the post for you). I gave you the post number for that one, but at this point it's looking like you're being disingenuous or just lazy, so I'm not going to continue doing your work for you.

You won't go back and find it because it doesn't say what you claim it says, sock?

Cite your sources.....

Is there a specific fact you're disputing. If you could identify which it is, I'll be happy to help you out with a source to support it. However, I'm not going to take the time to footnote every common-knowledge claim I build into an argument.

I don't see anything of the sort....

Then go back and actually read the post to which you were replying. I was quite clear about the fact I was speaking in terms of spending levels relative to contemporary countries. If you make a habit of reading before replying, we can skip the steps where you ask me about something I already covered and then I redirect you to the post where I covered it.

Nobody has said that you "post like" anyone, have they.....

Not that I know of, but if people genuinely suspect me of being a sock puppet (rather than just throwing that out there in hopes of derailing the substantive discussion), there would need to be some reason for that. If my posting were very similar to some other poster, that would be a reason.

Is there a specific fact you're disputing. If you could identify which it is, I'll be happy to help you out with a source to support it. However, I'm not going to take the time to footnote every common-knowledge claim I build into an argument.

Then you'll lose, sock.

IThen go back and actually read the post to which you were replying. I was quite clear about the fact I was speaking in terms of spending levels relative to contemporary countries. If you make a habit of reading before replying, we can skip the steps where you ask me about something I already covered and then I redirect you to the post where I covered it.

Why are you intellectually lazy, sock?

Not that I know of, but if people genuinely suspect me of being a sock puppet (rather than just throwing that out there in hopes of derailing the substantive discussion), there would need to be some reason for that. If my posting were very similar to some other poster, that would be a reason.

There is a reason for it, sock. It's not what you tried to pretend it is, as far as anyone has stated, is it?

What link....

The one we're talking about.

Irrelevant, and unverifiable

Since it's an illustration, not evidence, it doesn't matter that it's unverifiable. You needn't believe that's my commute -- it can simply be a hypothetical commute. The point is merely to get people thinking about how time isn't the only factor deciding how a commute impacts quality of life.

Cite this data, sock.

I did. Reread.

What are these alleged "morals" you claim to possess, sock?

There are a great many of them, but the overarching theme is summed up easily enough in Kantian form as trying to act according to the maxims you would want people generally to follow. So, for example, if I wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone just dumps their garbage wherever they want, I shouldn't litter. It's basically just a somewhat more sophisticated formulation of the Golden Rule.

How about you? What morals do you possess?

The one we're talking about.

Post it. Do it now, sock.

Since it's an illustration, not evidence, it doesn't matter that it's unverifiable. You needn't believe that's my commute -- it can simply be a hypothetical commute. The point is merely to get people thinking about how time isn't the only factor deciding how a commute impacts quality of life.

So much illogicality.

I did. Reread.

I don't see it, sock. Re-post, and cite the relevant text.

Back