Huckleberry takes another state!

No, thats your trick lately.

right... that is why you jumped from Leaningright's "choosing to be a single parent puts kids at a disadvantage" and jumped right into your "Should dark skinned people procreate? Dark skinned people have a disadvantage!"

right... that is why you jumped from Leaningright's "choosing to be a single parent puts kids at a disadvantage" and jumped right into your "Should dark skinned people procreate? Dark skinned people have a disadvantage!"

1) You did not merely say that children of single parents were at a disadvantage, you said that there is something "wrong" with choosing to become a single parent. Because,

"Choosing to become a single parent willing places the child in a state of disadvantage from day one. Study after study shows that children develop dramatically better socially and cognitively if both parents are involved......and that they do better if parents are of the opposite sex. To willingly place the child at a disadvantage from day one is not good, IMO."

So I listed several other things that put a child at a disadvantage and asked if there was also something wrong with bringing a child into the world under that condition. I was using your logic to form the basis of a question.

2) I asked a question, to which I was looking for an answer... Not making a claim that you said anything! There is a difference.

1) You did not merely say that children of single parents were at a disadvantage, you said that there is something "wrong" with choosing to become a single parent. Because,

"Choosing to become a single parent willing places the child in a state of disadvantage from day one. Study after study shows that children develop dramatically better socially and cognitively if both parents are involved......and that they do better if parents are of the opposite sex. To willingly place the child at a disadvantage from day one is not good, IMO."

So I listed several other things that put a child at a disadvantage and asked if there was also something wrong with bringing a child into the world under that condition. I was using your logic to form the basis of a question.

2) I asked a question, to which I was looking for an answer... Not making a claim that you said anything! There is a difference.

But Steak every day.....come on. And dark skinned? These in no way compare to the disadvantages of only choosing to be a single parent.

But Steak every day.....come on. And dark skinned? These in no way compare to the disadvantages of only choosing to be a single parent.

Sure there is, maybe not with steak, I got carried away... But nutrition, yes. Race, yes!

I know of plenty of kids who are better off with there single parent situation than others I know who are in dual parent situations.

Sure there is, maybe not with steak, I got carried away... But nutrition, yes. Race, yes!

I know of plenty of kids who are better off with there single parent situation than others I know who are in dual parent situations.

No they are not the same. You do not CHOOSE to be "dark skinned".

Yes, while some single parents do a phenomenal job, on average it is not a good idea to CHOOSE to be one. Meaning being single and deciding to have a kid on your own. If you are married with kids and get divorced then that is different.

No they are not the same. You do not CHOOSE to be "dark skinned".

Yes, while some single parents do a phenomenal job, on average it is not a good idea to CHOOSE to be one. Meaning being single and deciding to have a kid on your own. If you are married with kids and get divorced then that is different.

Why is it different bacause you got divorced? You still choose a divorce.

Why is it different bacause you got divorced? You still choose a divorce.
However, no one plans them.

I can imagine that line of thought. "I'll get married, have 15 kids then divorce him so we can all starve and the little men won't know how to act and will wind up in prison... Then I'll collect welfare and my ex will lose his driver's license because he won't pay child support!"

That's the life we plan in our heads....

However, no one plans them.

I can imagine that line of thought. "I'll get married, have 15 kids then divorce him so we can all starve and the little men won't know how to act and will wind up in prison... Then I'll collect welfare and my ex will lose his driver's license because he won't pay child support!"

That's the life we plan in our heads....

Very few pregnancies that result in single parents are planned. The ones that are planned are generally planned by people responsable to handle them.

Very few pregnancies that result in single parents are planned. The ones that are planned are generally planned by people responsable to handle them.
Again, nobody plans a divorce to leave them destitute. Saying, most people don't plan is not the same thing. Actually making a decision to put your child at disadvantage when you could make a decision differntly that would not because you are selfish is irresponsible towards the child.

Anyway, I don't disparage single-parent families. I do agree that they should not be promoted as something desirable though.

Again, nobody plans a divorce to leave them destitute. Saying, most people don't plan is not the same thing. Actually making a decision to put your child at disadvantage when you could make a decision differntly that would not because you are selfish is irresponsible towards the child.

Anyway, I don't disparage single-parent families. I do agree that they should not be promoted as something desirable though.

I have never seen them promoted as something desirable. I merely want single parent homes accepted as one of the many family types. Sometimes these family types are good, sometimes bad.

To say that it is bad because you are bringing the child into the world at a disadvantage is silly. There are plenty of disadvantages that people are brought into the world with, and it is part of a challange to overcome.

I have never seen them promoted as something desirable. I merely want single parent homes accepted as one of the many family types. Sometimes these family types are good, sometimes bad.

To say that it is bad because you are bringing the child into the world at a disadvantage is silly. There are plenty of disadvantages that people are brought into the world with, and it is part of a challange to overcome.
The point is the difference between natural disadvantage as compared to one created by a decision, there are already enough disadvantages naturally to be creating disadvantages for children through selfishness. One doesn't say that they should be illegal, they say that they shouldn't be promoted as "good".

The point is the difference between natural disadvantage as compared to one created by a decision, there are already enough disadvantages naturally to be creating disadvantages for children through selfishness. One doesn't say that they should be illegal, they say that they shouldn't be promoted as "good".

Taking the risk of getting pregnant is almost always a decision.

Okay, good so you see single parenthood is not always a decision.
And the point was, that we shouldn't promote it as if it is a responsible decision. Now you are at least getting to the point where you begin to understand. We know it happens, but there is no reason to glorify it into a supposedly responsible choice that one should make.

And the point was, that we shouldn't promote it as if it is a responsible decision. Now you are at least getting to the point where you begin to understand. We know it happens, but there is no reason to glorify it into a supposedly responsible choice that one should make.

It can be a respectable decision. And disrespecting this situation causes single parenthood to be more difficult than it sometimes already is.

Back