Huckleberry takes another state!

I belive you are being obtuse on the unamerican issue. Sorry, I said I would take your word for it, but I believe you can see my point, but are pretending not to for some reason.

Maybe idiotic was a poor choice of words for Quayle, but his social conservatism rankles me.
Rankling, fine.

Just as I disagree with many of the ideas from the left. I just wouldn't call them "idiotic" for promoting them.

Such rhetoric, especially from leaders, only continues the divide and makes it so Americans see those on the other side as "less" than those on their own side.

Usually the goal is the same, it is the method that differs. Instead of listening it is so much easier to pretend that all things about the other side are "bad" and dismiss them outrightly without first finding the motivation. Was Quayle's motivation to attack single mothers? Of course not. Yet that is what you said he did. That is designed to ensure that you can convince others not to listen as well.

Unimformed guy: "He did that?"

You: "Yeah, attacking single mothers, what a jerk!"

Unimformed guy: "Wow, that is bad..."

Rankling, fine.

Just as I disagree with many of the ideas from the left. I just wouldn't call them "idiotic" for promoting them.

Such rhetoric, especially from leaders, only continues the divide and makes it so Americans see those on the other side as "less" than those on their own side.

Usually the goal is the same, it is the method that differs. Instead of listening it is so much easier to pretend that all things about the other side are "bad" and dismiss them outrightly without first finding the motivation. Was Quayle's motivation to attack single mothers? Of course not. Yet that is what you said he did. That is designed to ensure that you can convince others not to listen as well.

Unimformed guy: "He did that?"

You: "Yeah, attacking single mothers, what a jerk!"

Unimformed guy: "Wow, that is bad..."

Regardless of if it was his motivation, it was clear before he did it, that saying what he said, in the way he said it would promote prejudice against single parents. So if that was his intent... it was a bad thing, if it was not his intent it was idiotic.

Single parent households can be hard, often better than dual parent households however depending on the circumstance. Quayle attacked a posative image of how it can work.

Regardless of if it was his motivation, it was clear before he did it, that saying what he said, in the way he said it would promote prejudice against single parents. So if that was his intent... it was a bad thing, if it was not his intent it was idiotic.

Single parent households can be hard, often better than dual parent households however depending on the circumstance. Quayle attacked a posative image of how it can work.
It did no such thing. My sister felt no sting from his "attack" on Murphy Brown.

I think this is faux outrage based on political opinion and a hope you can demonize the other side.

What it did was suggest that it is not something that should be glorified as the norm. It was in fact a representation of the rarity not the norm.

It did no such thing. My sister felt no sting from his "attack" on Murphy Brown.

I think this is faux outrage based on political opinion and a hope you can demonize the other side.

What it did was suggest that it is not something that should be glorified as the norm. It was in fact a representation of the rarity not the norm.

Whats wrong with glorifying that someone wants children so badly they are willing to do it alone and against the odds?

Whats wrong with glorifying that someone wants children so badly they are willing to do it alone and against the odds?
Might it convince somebody to follow that isn't ready and incapable of providing as the character was able to?

Might it convince somebody to follow that isn't ready and incapable of providing as the character was able to?

That would be the same with glorifying having kids to anyone including dual parents who cant or should not attempt it.

That would be the same with glorifying having kids to anyone including dual parents who cant or should not attempt it.
Which are statistically more successful? Let alone the rationale of where social more lies.

The reality is you are creating a strawman, Quayle never attacked single mothers.

I had to go back and read some more of this thread to catch up. After reading I must say that I fully agree with Dan Quayle and what he said in the "Murphy Brown" speech. His second book The American Family: Discovering the Values That Make Us Strong was great.

I had to go back and read some more of this thread to catch up. After reading I must say that I fully agree with Dan Quayle and what he said in the "Murphy Brown" speech. His second book The American Family: Discovering the Values That Make Us Strong was great.

So are you saying there is somethign wrong with people who choose to be single parents? If not what are you saying?

Choosing to become a single parent willing places the child in a state of disadvantage from day one. Study after study shows that children develop dramatically better socially and cognitively if both parents are involved......and that they do better if parents are of the opposite sex. To willingly place the child at a disadvantage from day one is not good, IMO.

Choosing to become a single parent willing places the child in a state of disadvantage from day one. Study after study shows that children develop dramatically better socially and cognitively if both parents are involved......and that they do better if parents are of the opposite sex. To willingly place the child at a disadvantage from day one is not good, IMO.

Those type of decieions are made daily. Should you choose to bring a kid into the world if you cant afford private school? Or filet mignon for dinner every night. What if you dont speak proper english? Should dark skinned people procreate? Dark skinned people have a disadvantage!

Those type of decieions are made daily. Should you choose to bring a kid into the world if you cant afford private school? Or filet mignon for dinner every night. What if you dont speak proper english? Should dark skinned people procreate? Dark skinned people have a disadvantage!

ok Damo... we need to add a scarecrow icon/smiley. The above is just begging for one.

Back